struggling to lose weight

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be cranky. Been feeling very stressed and tired. I hate weighing myself so much. Maybe I should give it time. Maybe it's water retention, I don't know.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I get angry when people say I should weigh my food because for me that's obsessive behaviour and a bit OTT taking a weighing scale around with you. I don't want to go down the obsessing over every tiny morsel. I've done that and I was close to an eating disorder.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get angry when people say I should weigh my food because for me that's obsessive behaviour and a bit OTT taking a weighing scale around with you. I don't want to go down the obsessing over every tiny morsel. I've done that and I was close to an eating disorder.

People suggested that you weigh your food. If you decide that isn't best for you, that's fine. But you should temper your frustration because you are forgoing a way that you can make your logging more accurate. You may be forgoing it for a really good reason, but it should help you understand why you may not be seeing consistent results.

People who are recovering from EDs may have slower progress because they're having to avoid strategies and tools that others can use. That doesn't mean they SHOULD use those, but it doesn't make sense to get angry when people suggest them. None of us knew, at the beginning of this thread, that you were in recovery. We made suggestions suitable for the average person.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Have you talked to a professional about your food and emotional issues? Food should not cause emotions, it's just food. Us suggesting you weigh food -- something plenty of healthy individuals do to lose or maintain weight -- shouldn't make you angry. Sure, tell us it's not for you, but it's shouldn't make you "angry." If you get this defensive about food, you're very young, you have a long life ahead of you. It might be a happier life if you work through some of these issues and develop coping mechanisms for criticism and for times you hit roadblocks in life instead of snapping at people who are trying to help you.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I don't carry my food scale around with me, but I do prep all my food and pre log it. If I know I am going to eat out, I do my research, check out a menu, and hopefully be able to see what the calorie counts are. Yes, sometimes I am not able to figure out calories when I eat out, but I do my best to estimate those and move on. I don't find my behavior to be obsessive, I am using a tool to teach myself how to eat mindfully.

Those tiny morsels add up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    By all means don't weigh if that triggers disordered thinking around food. But you asked why the scale isn't budging and answer to this is generally that you are underestimating what you eat and/or overestimating what you burn.

Weighing your food is a way to be more accurate about your food intake. However, you can also look at your exercise burns - how are you calculating them? If you are going by the MFP database, many people suggest you just eat back 50% of the calories you earned from exercise.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Except in your first post you said you're stuck in 12st-12.3st.

So you are maintaining at your current intake. Options are to reassess your intake, increase your activity/exercise, or see a doctor to rule out any medical issues that could be a factor. I don't think anyone here has suggested you follow a 'crash diet'. Those were your words. The advise here was to improve logging accuracy.

If you are losing it slowly, then good. Over what time frame have you been stuck at 12-12.3? If just a few weeks maybe you need more patience. Water weight from a number of causes can hide weight loss. But if you've been at the same weight for months then you are eating at maintenance.
    im pretty sure as a very active person I don't maintain weight on what im eating. look I feel good and I see changes in the mirror, but not on the scale. im not going to obsess about every morsel of food. enjoy your crash diets and putting the weight back on. id rather lose it slowly than yoyo.

I haven't been at that weight for months but for the past two or so months I have. Maybe I'm just impatient and I expect quick results. I've struggled with binge eating but I'm getting better. Whenever I'm 12 and a half stone and over I loose weight quickly but then it seems to stabilise and I see small changes on the scale even if I feel better about myself and my body. Or I won't loose a pound and then the next time I step on the scale bam I've lost two or three pounds!

What you're describing sounds like a perfectly normal pattern of weight loss. As you get closer to your goal weight the loss naturally slows down. Normal fluctuations and stalls become more apparent. For women, some of this will happen around our period and ovulation. But also exercise, stress, sleeping patterns, carbs, sodium, etc. can all cause little bumps and dips in our scale weight. Try to look at the bigger trends.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm around your height and my TDEE is somewhere in the 1700-1900 range, as in... whenever I eat that much daily, I won't really lose much.

I also don't do much for workouts, though...
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Then that's fine and good that you know yourself. I've lost fine without weighing.

My body often "feels" skinnier beforr the loss shows up. Not sure why...

Sounds like you'll see loss soon. Don't be discouraged.
  • hayjacob
    hayjacob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Find your macros and eat based on those scales.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    hayjacob wrote: »
    Find your macros and eat based on those scales.

What? No. Wrong answer. Weight loss is not based on macros. Weight loss is based on a calorie deficit.

For the OP, patience is a virtue.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just focus on getting stronger and eating clean. And look at food as fuel. It's fuel for your next workout. And if you aren't losing cut back on your calories in 100 increments or add one workout a week. Up your intensity or change what you are doing. If you aren't happy with results change something. If you are satisfied with results keep up what you are doing.