PROTEIN AND BARIATRIC SURGERY

Options
I can only have between 900 to 1100 calories a day I have to have 65 to 75 g of Protein

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I space my protein out through the day. I really hate nearly all the protein shakes I've tried, so I gave up on them pretty early. Also, I recently read that many of them are adding different amino acids in the product instead of complete protein, so the actual amount of protein you get per serving can be completely different than what is actually on the packaging.

Now I get it from my food & it isn't really that hard as long as I don't skip any meals. If I get to the end of the day & haven't had time for breakfast or lunch, then I'm in trouble because I just don't have room in my stomach to put all the food I need to make up the calories & protein for the day, so sometimes I accidentally end up too low. A staple for me has been Egg Beaters. Just about every day I scramble up 184 grams with 56 grams of diced John Morrell ham & 28 grams of cheddar cheese. I eat it in stages & it gives me 38 grams of protein for 280 calories.

I like the pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts--there are different seasonings. I buy the John Soules fajita meat--both beef & chicken & pair them with a side. I cook up a bunch of pork chops. I just basically have a bunch of lean meat around to eat. I generally get between 80-100 grams of protein a day.
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quark. There's 44.5 grams of protein and 250 kcal in this:

uh2jlmrf7ch0.jpg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I can only have between 900 to 1100 calories a day I have to have 65 to 75 g of Protein

75g of protein is 300 calories so that should be entirely possible.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Ok?.....
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Just look at my breakfast there is 1100 calories and a 100 grams of protein for you or my dinner 250 calories and 49 grams of protein..
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs. Drop / reduce some of the other stuff that you used to eat. You will be fine.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Meat, seafood, dairy, eggs. For protein drinks, try Muscle Milk.

My macros are:
    Protein: 101
    Carbs: 35 (net max)
    Cals: 1,111

You can absolutely make your protein goal every day, but you need to eat your protein first and cut carbs to the recommended levels. My diary is open. My RNY was January 19th. Remember that you'll spend a lot of time eating to prevent incision problems or stretching. This is so incredibly important. You don't want either of those!

Portable protein isn't terribly hard to find. Tuna packets, jerky, boiled eggs, and pre-packed Muscle Milk shakes can make up the majority of your day. Add in some carbs when you can, although that's less important in the first 6 months than getting your protein and making your calorie goal.

Read labels. You'll spend a lot of time doing that. Remember to keep that added sugar out of your foods, which will keep your carbs within range. Compare labels. McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning has 1 carb less per serving than the non-GF version. Take time to compare labels, because you're going for protein, carbs, and calories, in that order.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Q
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Quick question for you guys - I am considering bariatric surgery but I have to be on a medically supervised diet first. The bariatrician put me on a 1400 cal/day diet with 80-90 grams of protein a day. She wants my protein to be higher than my carb intake but gave no guidance as to carb or fat grams I should consume per day. While I get in the required protein daily I am finding that I consume more carbs. Anyone else have this experience or have any suggestions? Thanks!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    Quick question for you guys - I am considering bariatric surgery but I have to be on a medically supervised diet first. The bariatrician put me on a 1400 cal/day diet with 80-90 grams of protein a day. She wants my protein to be higher than my carb intake but gave no guidance as to carb or fat grams I should consume per day. While I get in the required protein daily I am finding that I consume more carbs. Anyone else have this experience or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Mathematically :-

90g of protein = 360 calories
    60g of carbs (less than 90g) = 240 calories

So far 600 calories. Leaves 800 calories or about 89 grams of fat.

Just requires food choices that have plenty of fat and not many carbs, like egg, fish, meat, cheese etc @jcavanna2
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options

Meat, seafood, eggs, and dairy should be your first foods at each meal and snack. With 1400 cals to spend each day, you can definitely make your protein and carb goal with no problem. Add nutrient-dense foods like nuts and seeds, use butter liberally. You'll use those cals in no time. My diary is open and my goal is around 1100 each day.

You might also consider investigating ketogenic diets, since that's essentially what you'll be on after surgery. See if you can lose on keto without surgery. If you can, that's the way to go. Here are a couple of groups...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group (Read The Launch Pad)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto

A VSG/RNY group... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

If you're not used to weighing and tracking food, I suggest you get a scale that measures in grams and get started. It's a process you should become comfy with, since you'll do it with every mouthful you eat after surgery. Use the recipe builder too. These are good threads to read...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Good luck!
  • jcavanna2
    Options
    Thanks to you both! I have been on Weight Watchers for years unsuccessfully and have a good scale but not familiar with the ketogeni can diet so will look into that. Thanks for the tops!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I'm really surprised your bariatrician gave you no guidance and didn't refer you to a dietician.

How much weight do you have to lose?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Incorporate protein in every meal and every snack and it works out OK. After surgery too soft foods are the order of the day. I really like Greek Yogurt. Campbell's Canada has a roasted red pepper soup that goes down very nicely. I'd garnish it with a dollop of Greek Yogurt.

If I have a really bad day calorie-wise, I finish off with a protein shake.