Anyone tried Carb blockers?

Options
124»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do the carb blockers tell you (or even give a hint) how they're supposedly blocking blocking carbs?

I'm confident that they can't work, but am curious as to how they say they work...or if they even bother to say that they do.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sinead1819 wrote: »
    Its all so difficult xD and confusing! Mainly confusing

That's the thing. It's really not. People come in thinking it's confusing, but really, it's only confusing because it's SOOOO simple. Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight. Food quality is of little matter. Now, you want to be healthy, eat a balance diet. You will inherently cut down on unneeded calories if you strive to make nutrition a priority. That doesn't mean cutting out all "junk" food. That means focus on getting your nutrition while leaving room for the things you love as well.

All of these gimmicks do not work. And if they do, it is minimal, and the cons most likely outweigh the pros. If they worked, there wouldn't be fat people in the world.

The abs have spoken

The abs are right

Worth listening to (and looking at ;))
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This goes for the OP as well as anyone else, send me whatever carbs you don't want. I'll take them off your hands for free.

Cute baby :heart:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's the thing. It's really not. People come in thinking it's confusing, but really, it's only confusing because it's SOOOO simple. Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight. Food quality is of little matter. Now, you want to be healthy, eat a balance diet. You will inherently cut down on unneeded calories if you strive to make nutrition a priority. That doesn't mean cutting out all "junk" food. That means focus on getting your nutrition while leaving room for the things you love as well.

All of these gimmicks do not work. And if they do, it is minimal, and the cons most likely outweigh the pros. If they worked, there wouldn't be fat people in the world.

The abs have spoken

The abs are right

Worth listening to (and looking at ;))

#proofisinthepudding - Thanks!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This goes for the OP as well as anyone else, send me whatever carbs you don't want. I'll take them off your hands for free.

Cute baby :heart:

Thank you! This was me and my daughter in July '11. We've both put on size lately.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    But has anyone actually got any experience rather than just opinions? That's why I didn't go off the website reviews because the positive experiences could easily be faked. If someone who’s tried them could say what their findings were that would be better than speculation from anyone surely? The must have some effect in the way of blocking carbs and surely that would result in blocking even just a small amount of calories?

so you want validation for a horrible idea?

they don't work.

and if you bloat from eating too many carbs then maybe you have a food/carb allergy that you should look into.

Or, just don't eat a lot of carbs on your vacation ..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    what does everyone eat instead? Probably wont be able to cut out entirely because financially they are some of the cheapest meals for our family but breakfast/lunch time might be able to cut out :)

I get anywhere from 35 to 50% of my diet from carbs,and have had not issues losing, maintaining, etc.

Just eat in a deficit and get on a structured heavy lifting program.
  • ndj1979
    Options

+1
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Simply put: Yes, I have tried them. I personally found that they didn't work for me.
    I'd save yourself the money and ease up on yourself a little. There really is no need to take these products.
  • Sinead1819
    Sinead1819 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Simply put: Yes, I have tried them. I personally found that they didn't work for me.
    I'd save yourself the money and ease up on yourself a little. There really is no need to take these products.

thank you for the personal input, thats all I wanted :) x
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Do the carb blockers tell you (or even give a hint) how they're supposedly blocking blocking carbs?

I'm confident that they can't work, but am curious as to how they say they work...or if they even bother to say that they do.

Well, they actually do work. They inhibit alpha-amylase in the colon and therefore induce starch malabsorption.
    So perhaps, in ideal conditions they create a small loss due to less calories being absorbed but they are a bad idea:

- intestinal flora will be affected, increased gas and long term adaptation. Less effective afterwards.
    - no learned response, ceasing use will result in weight gain.
    - they only work for a small and short loss.

You are basically paying more to eat more. Why not learn to eat well instead?

ETA: Here is a good reference:
    http://examine.com/supplements/White+Kidney+Bean+Extract/
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    *Sarcasm time, because I am evil without my coffee* I know of a good carb blocker: have your immune system destroy all the insulin-producing cells in your pancreas. :trollface:

Seriously. I experienced super rapid weight loss because of type 1 diabetes. Of course, I now rely on injected/infused insulin on an hourly basis to survive, but it certainly "blocked" all the carbs I ate. *sarcasm off*

Those OTC weight loss supplements at best do not work. At worst, you could risk your life. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so there's no governing body to make sure those supplements contain what they claim to contain (or don't contain certain substances in toxic amounts). I think I read over the summer that a woman died overdosing on OTC weight loss supplements -the caffeine in the pills she took really messed up her heart's electrical system and caused her to go into cardiac arrest.