do you plan your day ahead or just wing it?

I personally find it best if I put in my dinner and lunch first then decide on my breakfast based on how many calories I have to spare. Dinner is more important, the food I eat at work isnt enjoyed to the fullest because I'm either rushed on eating at my desk. What do you all do that works best for you? :p

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I kind of wing it.

I know roughly how many calories I should be eating per meal. I log my food before I eat it, so I know if my lunch is approximately the right size and will tweak it if I need to before I eat it.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I usually pre log, but most days, what I've pre logged isnt what I'm craving anymore, so I end up making something else lol
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I plan the meals so I know how much room I have for everything else.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    My normal routine is to pre-log at least a meal in advance - with estimates. When it comes time to dish up the meal I am prepared to adjust my actual weights slightly, but I keep within range. For example, I have already pre-logged that I am going to have 15g of Peanut Butter tonight. When I dish it, it might come to 14g or 16g and then I will change it.

It gives me a weird thrill to estimate 100g and then to manage to get exactly that many peas on the plate (without having to cut one in half - ha ha!), but I get over myself - accuracy is more important.

Spontaneity is not my friend in this process, but I do have to loosen up a bit when I got to restaurants.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Mon-Fri plan, weekends are a bit of both, depends on how packed the schedule is.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I generally pre log the rest of the day while eating breakfast. I plan lunch, afternoon snack, and the main part of dinner and kind of wing it for the dinner sides and my bedtime snack.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2015
    I pre-log my day in the morning or the night before.
    I usually enter dinner then lunch, breakfast and finally snacks.
    I generally stick to what I have planned.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Kinda both. After 8 moths of this I more or less know about how many calories I can have for each meal. I eat basically the same breakfast every day. Lunch is almost always leftovers from dinner and I decide what I want to cook or buy for dinner on the bus ride home most of the time.

I usually prelog breakfast and lunch the night before. When I make dinner I write everything down and log it before I eat. Evening snack is worked into whatever I have left.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I usually pre log, but most days, what I've pre logged isnt what I'm craving anymore, so I end up making something else lol

Me too! I pre-log about 3 days in advance but usually end up changing it a few times a day lololol
  • jackidoll
    jackidoll Posts: 8 Member
    thank you for all your input, prelogging days in advace? wow thats something. i need to try that :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I generally pre-log based on what I know we're having. I cook 3 meals a day. Hubby and I are both on MFP, so to meet everyone's macros, pre-logging keeps me sane. Plus, it's a great way to see which days I can afford treats.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I don't prelog, but I'm also very routine on most days.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I prelog most items. After years of struggling with protein and calcium I have finally found a good combo that fulfills those two requirements, and also allows me to hit the other micronutrients. I do those everyday so I just prelog them. I do try to prelog the rest of the day first thing on the morning based on what I have in the kitchen, and if anything is going to expire in the near future.

I've found that prelogging has really helped me in staying on target with both macros and micros, though in all honesty my primary macro focus is protein. As long as I am close to that goal or over I don't much care about the others. As someone who seldom eats meat and exists on fruits and veggies, I will never really be low carb lol.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    I never really plan my day. I just use the diary as a log for what I eat. Not really that bothered when I go over goal either.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    I completely wing it!
    I've tried preplanning, but half the time when supper rolled around I wanted something different than I did that morning ;)
    I don't eat mammal though, so without meat in my diet it gives me a massive amount of wiggle room. 5 months of logging and I've yet to have a day where I ran out of calories.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    I don't plan or pre-log anything.
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    I eat breakfast and lunch at work, so I plan them both out for Monday thru Friday the weekend ahead of time. Then, I can make a big batch of whatever it is ahead of time for minimal prep work each morning. Dinner every night and all meals on the weekends are pretty spontaneous.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I pre-log breakfast and lunch the day before so that I can pack what I need. I normally decide dinner during work, and have a plan before I get home. I find that I overeat if I wing it.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    I do best when I preplan as well as possible.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I make breakfast once to eat all work week, so I can easily pre-log that. We plan dinners at least a week ahead of time and post it on the fridge, so I can log those too. For lunches, it's almost always leftover dinner OR meals that I've cooked, portioned and frozen. My day is always pre-logged, but sometimes I go several days ahead of time (since I already know what I'm eating anyway).