Little changes that make a big difference

Options
I was thinking we could have a thread where we could share little cooking tips and tricks (switching out certain ingredients, etc) that help save on calories.

For a while I just didn't bother to use cooking spray when I made my omelettes or cooked something in a pan. I'd use butter or olive oil because it was there and i didn't think to go out and get cooking spray. But since I switched to it, I'm saving at least 100 calories per meal, which is awesome.

Are there any small switches that helped you save calories?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins or thin sliced bread instead of regular sandwich bread. Sorry don't have the cals st hand.
  • KimmieCapone
    KimmieCapone Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any changes to my diet yet, but this is only my 3rd day. My first week challenge is to 1. drink more water and 2. no fast food. Next week I'm going to make my goal to have at least one serving of fruit and vegetables every day. In the past, I think I've tried to do too much too soon and I quickly got overwhelmed.

I ONLY drink water, I take a medication for my chronic migraines that makes anything carbonated taste super nasty, so soda was easy for me to give up. Initially, I lost 30 lbs but I've managed to pack it all back on. I am in LOVE with the Great Value wild strawberry with energy powder drink enhancers from Wal-Mart. Each packet is 10 calories and I could easily go through 6-8 packets a day. When I am at work, I alternate between plain water and the packets so I don't drink as much. Not only because it costs me calories, but it cost me $$!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt as sour cream, mayo, base of a salad dressing....etc
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was thinking we could have a thread where we could share little cooking tips and tricks (switching out certain ingredients, etc) that help save on calories.

For a while I just didn't bother to use cooking spray when I made my omelettes or cooked something in a pan. I'd use butter or olive oil because it was there and i didn't think to go out and get cooking spray. But since I switched to it, I'm saving at least 100 calories per meal, which is awesome.

I'm curious, what cooking spray do you use? I do the melted butter thing too but a healthier alternative would be great.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I usually use stock instead of oil to cook things. Often, I throw the onion in first and that lubes things up well enough that I don't need anything. There is very little that I need to actually fry with oil.

Fat-free dairy is an easy-peasy way to cut calories.

I make my own bread. Home-made whole wheat bread is a million times better than the crap they sell in the store and you can slide it thin, so fewer calories in a slice!

Fruits and veggies are good for us and fill us up nicely for very few calories, so I eat a lot of them. I cannot say enough good things about "The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone." If anyone wants to begin making healthy foods in yummy ways, it's a wonderful cookbook to get started with. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't made any changes to my diet yet, but this is only my 3rd day. My first week challenge is to 1. drink more water and 2. no fast food. Next week I'm going to make my goal to have at least one serving of fruit and vegetables every day. In the past, I think I've tried to do too much too soon and I quickly got overwhelmed.

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck! :)
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Definitely cutting down on oils/butter when cooking. In general I only add them when I want the flavor, not to grease the pan.

Also, made the switch to diet/no added sugar drinks years ago...that alone is saving me a few hundred calories a day, possibly 1000+ based on how much I used to drink.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Measure dry pasta by weight before boiling. If I only boil 1 serving per person, we only eat 1 serving per person. Use lots of vegetables to bulk up a pasta recipe. Use freshly grated strong cheese like real parmesan, asiago, etc. to get lots of cheese flavor from very little cheese.

This is a hint you might not use very often but when I make spanakopita, instead of brushing on melted butter or pouring on oil, I use my fingers to dot on olive oil. I can make a whole-sleeve-of-filo/2-bags-of-spinach spanakopita with less than 1/4 cup of olive oil -- total! Comes out wonderfully tasty/crispy.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Sandwich thins or thin sliced bread instead of regular sandwich bread. Sorry don't have the cals st hand.

Love this , some people complain about them but I love them , I use multiple brands but that Sara Lee's is like 45 per slice
  • karyabc
    Options
    Don't know if somebody mention it already but 2 big things for me are egg white and my almond milk , huge calorie saver items
  • karyabc
    Options
    Oh and I'm not huge consumer but diet coke does it for me too
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    1. Sprite Zero - for when I want a sweet carbonated drink that doesn't taste horribly diety.
    2. Club soda or seltzer water to turn a 5 oz glass of wine into an 8 or 10oz refreshing spritzer
    3. Learned to drink coffee & tea black/plain - no calories from milk/cream or sugar (I hate artificial sweeteners and creamers)
    4. Using fat free ranch dressing instead of mayo on sandwiches (some don't like FF ranch, but I think it's a brand thing...I don't notice a difference in taste myself. It is a little thinner but OK for sandwiches or tuna/chicken salad.
    5. Learning to use less salad dressing on salads - takes time but it does eventually happen!
    6. Drinking water when thirsty instead of soda, iced tea, juice, etc.
    7. Weighing everything...everything...everything. It is a "little" thing that turns into a BIG help.
    8. When eating meals - eating salad or huge portions of plain veggies first so I am more full and will be satisfied with smaller portions of the other food (like being satisfied with a small slice of pizza instead of wanting 3 slices, lol)

• BethM1015
    BethM1015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For the salads I make at home, I use mild salsa instead of salad dressing.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this isn't a calorie swap... but stay with me. Add in a vegetable with every meal. You will begin to eat a bit less of everything else because of the increase in the volume of food. In addition, the added fiber does it's magic. Of course, you'll need to increase your water intake as well. Ditto for adding beans into your diet. your energy goes way up and the desire for fast food or highly processed foods seems to go down. It's worked for me in the past...guess I need to get back to this.

And I don't mean plain steamed vegetables or salads. Be creative, incorporate fresh herbs, roast your vegetables.
  • moonagedaydream72
    moonagedaydream72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I'm curious, what cooking spray do you use? I do the melted butter thing too but a healthier alternative would be great.

I use the "our compliments" brand which is just a Canadian generic brand. it's about 5 cals per spray
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    salad dressing sub: balsamic vinegar only instead of balsamic vinaigrette. one serving goes a long way too.
    95/5 ground beef when making meat sauce. can't tell the difference.
    Baker's semi-sweet chocolate bar for treat - 1oz is 8carbs/6 fat, much lower than other chocolate (don't know why)
    Frozen chocolate greek yogurt bars - very macro friendly
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    1. Use chicken broth instead of butter for steaming vegetables, in your mashed potatoes, and to sauté anything.

2. Add mashed cauliflower to any kind of mashed potato to bulk up portion and lower calories. I do this with
    Mashed potatoes (using chicken broth) and for my twice baked potatoes.

3. add 35 calorie wedge of laughing cow light cheese to your portion of mashed potatoes or twice baked ..also
    into whipped into egg whites and vegetables for a tasty frittata. I also use them with spinach or broccoli for
    stuffed chicken breasts

4 Mushrooms are so low in calories.. stuff them with diced shrimp, spinach, and laughing cow light cheese and
    broil.
    5. Helman's Dijonnase is a big secret of mine.. i use it in place of mayo.. only 5 calories. I eat a deviled egg
    almost every day made with that.
    6 Frank's hot sauce.. tangy..the best for adding flavor to anything.
    7. 100 calorie microwave popcorn. Hello? yes.. great portion control..just eat one bag and you're done.
    and why not dash some Frank's hot sauce for extra flavor?
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Especially if you can get it cheap from a garden.... Add a salad to every lunch and dinner (if you do just vinegar and lettuce it is quick, easy, and low calories). It fills up half your plate. Same with breakfast- if you are making eggs, sauté a bell pepper with it, etc.

I went to a really interesting nutrition talk by a researcher at, I think, Cornell. He does a lot of work about how and why people make good or bad food choices. Stuff like in school cafeterias, if you have fresh fruit displayed, or if you have 3/4ths white milk in the case and the chocolate is way at the back, people make healthier choices- even though all the same stuff is there! So I try to set us up for success by having a fruit drawer in the fridge full of fruit that lasts a while (apples and oranges), and stuff like that.

The other thing he talked a lot about was plate size and how you serve yourself. Obviously a lot of people here weigh and measure, but if you don't, or if you have family members who don't, your plate size makes a difference in how much you eat. Even after they gave a lecture to a group of people about the plate size thing, they did a meal after and measured people's intake at the meal, giving them different sized plates, and there is a difference! It's totally subconscious. So we picked up a few "lunch" sized plates, that are just smaller dinner plates, and tend to use those as much as possible, to trick our brains into thinking we are full. Same with stuff like if you buy a bag of chips- if it's a huge bag, your brain eats way more unless you are measuring it.
  • Physick
    Physick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Paying attention to starchy foods- they pack a lot of caloric punch. I try to stay away from bread, potatoes, pasta, and rice. Not exclusively, but man does it change my lunches. If your mindset isn't 'dieting' but simply trying to avoid starchy carbs being the center of your meal, you really cut calories quick.

For example, my lunch is no longer centered around bread, sandwiches, or pasta. It really leaves me with salad, grilled proteins, choosing a vegetable or fruit side dish as opposed to mashed potatoes, french fries etc...

So yeah- avoiding starchy high GI carbs. Bread, rice, potatoes, pasta.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Anytime we eat Mexican food in a restaurant (which is frequently), I always leave the cheese off. It makes a huge difference, and I don't miss it. For example, if I order two shrimp tacos without cheese. that is only 500 calories. A very reasonable and delicious dinner.