Ridiculous weight loss thoughts...

Options

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Btw those band aids for blisters work really well. Learned it on my honeymoon in New Orleans

I've never had luck with band-aids, even those. Moleskin, on the other hand? That's brilliant stuff.

I swear by moleskin!!!! Its the absolute best at getting me to the gym through every nick and bump. I managed to scrape 1/2 the skin off my pinky toe but a bandage and some moleskin had it protected so well I couldn't even feel the extra pressure of my shoes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are you okay? I mean..besides the blister.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    My ridiculous thought:
    I read here somewhere that we burn more calories in the cold due to our body trying to stay warm.......
    but I just got a fancy new treadmill in preparation for our Canadian winter....
    .....so I wondered how crazy it would be to crank the AC while I run on the treadmill....
    I mean, I have good freaking central air.....I could make this house feel like a walk in refrigerator

I like sleeping in a cold room because I like having heavy blankets over me. My husband protests this. I always tell him that we burn more calories in the cold because we shiver until the sheets warm up.

Heated mattress pads? The one I use has dual controls, one for each half of the bed, and I only heat up one side
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Too bad the cortisol elevation as a result of the pain, healing process and worrying about how many calories burned will more than offset any additional thermogenesis from the blister itself. Maybe even create a stall.

So pain causes elevated cortisol levels? Is it only acute pain or do you think that because I suffer from chronic pain that I would always have elevated cortisol problems? That sounds like one more factor working against me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're attempting to be kind or cruel. Please clarify.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I do find the introduction of cortisol to the discussion interesting. I hope @AnvilHead comes back, because for people like me with medical conditions causing chronic pain, it does raise an interesting issue.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many calories we intake each day simply by breathing air that has dust particles - largely comprising human skin - floating around in it. I bet that would offset a blister. And when you exercise, you breathe more heavily, so you take in MORE dust and therefore more calories.

@Alluminati says the answer is always 75.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The things we see on the forums. LOL
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    My ridiculous thought:
    I read here somewhere that we burn more calories in the cold due to our body trying to stay warm.......
    but I just got a fancy new treadmill in preparation for our Canadian winter....
    .....so I wondered how crazy it would be to crank the AC while I run on the treadmill....
    I mean, I have good freaking central air.....I could make this house feel like a walk in refrigerator

Put it in the garage and use it with the doors open.?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Ok. Now for serious hats on.
    Some different thoughts.
    Ballpark a blister is 5 grams or less of fluid, mainly water, with an temperature elevation due to inflammation of no more than 3 degrees (Celsius) above your body's normal temperature.
    Assuming that 3 degrees requires constant work that is being lost (generous) every minute, you've got 24 hours * 60 minutes / 1 hour * 15 calories (proper, not kCal like dietary ones) / minute = 21.6 kCal (dietary calories). I'd agree the avoidance of activity is far going to outweigh that.

Alternatively, internet estimates bandied about for building muscle peg a pound of muscle at anywhere from 600 to 1700 calores (some just use the fat pound of 35000 calories). Assuming blister repair is a similar biological process to the active part of muscle building (only around 20-25% of muscle is made of protein) -
    1700 calories / pound muscle * 5 activity tissue factor * 5 grams * 1 pound / 453.592 grams = 93 calories. Though this is now over the course of 3 to 5 days of healing. So on a daily basis, maybe 30 calories?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Perhaps she's trying to be both, in the right measure?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.
  • senecarr
    Options

Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.

In the right measure.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I kind of got the impression that the OP was mostly tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be a serious discussion but I could be wrong.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Spit coffee everywhere. Thanks.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I kind of got the impression that the OP was mostly tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be a serious discussion but I could be wrong.

Same!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Can I count stopping my dog from pulling on the leash is resistance training?
    My husband and I are tearing down an old jeep. I try not to use the rust penetrator because fighting with the bolts engages my muscles more and swearing at them has got to burn some extra calories. ;)
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    Can I count stopping my dog from pulling on the leash is resistance training?
    My husband and I are tearing down an old jeep. I try not to use the rust penetrator because fighting with the bolts engages my muscles more and swearing at them has got to burn some extra calories. ;)

Lol I wish. These are the types of things that some people think about when losing.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think there should be some sort of extra calorie burn for resisting eating something you really want but know you shouldn't have. Shouldn't that count as resistance training?!?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    I think there should be some sort of extra calorie burn for resisting eating something you really want but know you shouldn't have. Shouldn't that count as resistance training?!?

If you do short, intense bursts of willpower while passing the aisles of tempting items in the grocery store, I think you can count it as HIIT.