13»

Replies

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    brb2008 wrote: »
    257_Lag wrote: »
    If you are going to weigh daily you really should chart it daily so you can see the trend line. That's what is important. Plenty of phone apps for this. I use Libra.
    3jc2hvtonvof.jpg

Do you know if I can manually enter data for like two weeks when I first get the app? Cause I have the data in my fitbit but want to know about the past two weeks as well.

Connect your fitbit to both www.weightgrapher.com and www.trendweight.com... AUTOMATICALLY you now have two... ready to go... no need to enter anything else.

Enjoy :smiley:

Nice! Thanks so much!
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day, and it determined my mood. Lost weight, felt great. Gained weight, there went my day. Now I weigh once a week. It makes it fun cuz it always says I've lost, and it gives me something to look forward to and keeps me in line, as in no overeating before weigh day. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Try weighing yourself every night as well before sleep under the same conditions. Then you'll see what your morning-night spread is, and won't be surprised the next morning if you're up a few pounds.

Thanks I am going to try this also I plan on breaking down for one of the fat% scales that I want but just haven't talked myself into the cost yet I am hoping that would help as well.

Don't spend money for that. Those scales cannot tell what % of you is fat.

The idea to weigh at night to help you get used to fluctuations isn't a bad one, but the body fat scales aren't worth it.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sodium kills me...I have gained 4 to 5 lbs if I consume too much sodium...a day or two later it's poof gone
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale - Tanita BF679W Duo Scale Plus Body Fat Monitor with Body Water - and I love it! Available on Amazon. Naked weigh-in every morning after I go to the loo. Slow but sure downward trend - day by day - is very motivating!!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »
    Try weighing yourself every night as well before sleep under the same conditions. Then you'll see what your morning-night spread is, and won't be surprised the next morning if you're up a few pounds.

Thanks I am going to try this also I plan on breaking down for one of the fat% scales that I want but just haven't talked myself into the cost yet I am hoping that would help as well.

Unless you buy a scale that uses Wifi to make your tracking to charts easier, the fat % really isn't worth the money IMO. We have one that does fat percentage and water percentage, and really they are a general guide at best. They are also influenced by a number of factors easily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    My bf reading on my home scale is 31%

Laughs

My BF is actually around 23%
  • robertw486
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    My bf reading on my home scale is 31%

Laughs

My BF is actually around 23%

Now I don't feel so bad. I know mine isn't accurate by any means, but I don't think it's off 10-12% either.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning at 186 lbs. Went for my morning walk, burned off 1,172 calories after walking 3.64 miles. Weighed myself afterwards--184 lbs. Do I do my happy dance and log this in MFP? Or should I just stay with the the 186 lbs. that I logged at check-in this morning?

I always use a heart rate monitor to accurately calculate how much I burn because fitbits or gym machines or even just entering what you did into mfp can be inaccurate. That's not to say that your calorie burn wasn't 1172 depending on how hilly your route is and how high your heart rate gets it could be, we can't really judge, but just make sure it is accurate. Keep up the good work.
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    @DeguelloTex: I agree the runners world formula looks like a lowball. They also calculate running (even jogging) at .60 on that same metric and I'm not convinced super slow joggers burn much more than very brisk walkers.
    All I was pointing out is that ANY formula that says you can burn 1000 calories walking under 4 miles sounds entirely too generous & that person might want to look into some other formulas that are out there. I walk fast and I climb hills and I feel pretty comfortable giving myself 100 calories a mile. I walk 100k steps a week minimum & I give myself about 100 calories a mile for the fitness walking half of my week and more like 75 calories a mile for the substitute teaching half of my week, even though I'm pretty active there if you factor in PE & playground supervision, running after kids who dash away (special ed, so there are plenty of 'runners' in the autistic & emotionally disturbed populations who are working on impulse control) and just generally getting myself around campus with some urgency when I need to find the principal, get keys or look for equipment, etc.
    My 'proof' is that if I eat within my weekly calorie budget, walk my 100k steps, get in a little HIIT and body weight activities I lose weight exactly as I anticipated.

As a previous super slow jogger with a heart rate monitor I can say that jogging, even super slow, burns more calories than walking briskly. Not saying that other people might be different, but this was definitely my experience. :smile: Thanks for all your advice and for sharing your experiences. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I weighed myself this morning at 186 lbs. Went for my morning walk, burned off 1,172 calories after walking 3.64 miles. Weighed myself afterwards--184 lbs. Do I do my happy dance and log this in MFP? Or should I just stay with the the 186 lbs. that I logged at check-in this morning?

No you didn't. Maybe 3-400 calories ..do not eat back 1172 calories because that is ridiculous
    I always use a heart rate monitor to accurately calculate how much I burn because fitbits or gym machines or even just entering what you did into mfp can be inaccurate. That's not to say that your calorie burn wasn't 1172 depending on how hilly your route is and how high your heart rate gets it could be, we can't really judge, but just make sure it is accurate. Keep up the good work.

A HRM is only for steady state cardio...no use for walking, no use for gym
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    wrote: »
    A HRM is only for steady state cardio...no use for walking, no use for gym

Hi @rabbitjb, forgive me this seemingly dense question, but what is considered "steady state" cardio? I hear it a lot, but it isn't really expanded upon.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Exercises that are aerobic in nature and that are performed at intensities between 40% of VO2 max and the lactate threshold

Running, rowing, cycling

Not interval training though
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @rabbitjb! :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

@beckygammon
    HRM do not accurately calculate calorie expenditure - they can only estimate under a fairly limited set of circumstances.
    They can accurately measure heart rate and that's it. The gym machines you assume are wrong could well be more accurate, especially if they measure power output. Where HRMs have an advantage when used appropriately is in consistency - not accuracy.

Think of two 200lb people walking 4 miles. One is fit and has a low HR, one is unfit and has a high HR - they will both burn almost identical amount of calories despite what their HRMs might say.
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The true value of daily weighing is the ability to follow the trend. If you weigh in once per week, how would you know if you are on a day that accurately represents your true weight? What if weigh in day happens to fluctuate up four pounds, or down four pounds. How would you know? If knowledge is power, what possible use is there in hiding from knowledge?
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@beckygammon
    HRM do not accurately calculate calorie expenditure - they can only estimate under a fairly limited set of circumstances.
    They can accurately measure heart rate and that's it. The gym machines you assume are wrong could well be more accurate, especially if they measure power output. Where HRMs have an advantage when used appropriately is in consistency - not accuracy.

Think of two 200lb people walking 4 miles. One is fit and has a low HR, one is unfit and has a high HR - they will both burn almost identical amount of calories despite what their HRMs might say.

I know that I am still new to this however wouldn't and shouldn't the unhealthy one burn more as his body is working harder to do those 4 miles than the one who is more fit?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@beckygammon

I know that I am still new to this however wouldn't and shouldn't the unhealthy one burn more as his body is working harder to do those 4 miles than the one who is more fit?

Not at all - calories are simply units of energy and relate to the physics of moving mass over distance.
    Feeling hard has zero to do with it.
  • robertw486
    Options

@beckygammon

Not at all - calories are simply units of energy and relate to the physics of moving mass over distance.
    Feeling hard has zero to do with it.

I would somewhat disagree on this. In terms of energy, a calorie burned is a calorie burned. But in terms of what the OP posted, I agree with what she stated. If a calorie was simply a calorie, HRMs would be of no use at all in weight loss plans. But in reality HRMs help factor in overall levels of fitness and how hard the persons body is working.

Whether the heart rate is lower due to better cardiovascular condition, more efficient oxygen uptake and carbon dioxide removal, efficiency of motion or muscle groups, under steady state conditions the HRM is a major indicator of overall human effort required to achieve mechanical power.