Gaining on KETO

Options
Hey guys,

so I've followed low carb diet most of my life and keto diet on and off for the last 5 months:-)
My diet quite sucked last few weeks and I started the diet again a week ago including exercise. The thing is - I've been in ketosis for 5 days, drunk plenty of water, done Insanity 30 (HIIT) 5x/a week, and yoga for stretch mainly AND I went from 141lbs to almost 145lbs :(

I'm not PMSing or anything I plan on keeping zero carbs for a few more days, I have enough of protein, AND healthy fats. So what's the problem?:(

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking calories?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Calories are king.
  • Errrica91
    Errrica91 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am tracking calories:) I eat between 1000 - 1400kcal or 1400-1600kcal... but I suffer from hormonal disbalance AND that results in slow metabolism so I'm not sure if "eating more - losing more" will work in my case:(
  • queenliz99
    edited November 2015
    Options
    But one week is not a plateau. If you are tracking accurately for a month and you are still gaining then recheck your calorie intake and outtake
  • Errrica91
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    But one week is not a plateau. If you are tracking accurately for a month and you are still gaining then recheck your calorie intake and outtake

It's not even a plateau - it's gaining:( And I was about 130lbs last month...haven't changed a thing about my diet and I gained. And I'm not pregnant or anything:(

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Calories are king.

Typical responses of those who know nothing about Ketosis and a low carb lifestyle.
    There is more to it than CICO.

Stay with it. Fluctuations like this are quite normal which is why I spend more time looking at averages in order to determine trends vs. spikes. Are you tracking body fat? With all the HIIT you are doing you could be putting on some muscle. Also keep in mind that you are going to be putting a lot of fluid in your muscle tissue that will slowly dissipate during your off-time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Calories are king.

Typical responses of those who know nothing about Ketosis and a low carb lifestyle.

Stay with it. Fluctuations like this are quite normal which is why I spend more time looking at averages in order to determine trends vs. spikes. Are you tracking body fat? With all the HIIT you are doing you could be putting on some muscle. Also keep in mind that you are going to be putting a lot of fluid in your muscle tissue that will slowly dissipate during your off-time.

Nonsense.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You just started Insanity. That's going to do a number on your muscles. My bet is water retention and it will sort itself within a week or so as long as you actually are between 1400 and 1600kcal.

You could always try the question in the keto or Low Carber Daily groups. There are a lot of LCHF and keto veterans there who could offer advice.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Calories are king.

Nonsense.

and hogwash. CICO trumps all.
  • Errrica91
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You just started Insanity. That's going to do a number on your muscles. My bet is water retention and it will sort itself within a week or so as long as you actually are between 1400 and 1600kcal.

You could always try the question in the keto or Low Carber Daily groups. There are a lot of LCHF and keto veterans there who could offer advice.

I've done Insanity in the past. Now I'm doing INSANITY MAX 30:)
  • norg
    norg Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you have carb refeed days? They are helping me. Once a week load up on carbs to restore glycogen levels. Perhaps eating high fat and low carb constantly has become too easy for you body. Switch it up but stick at it and you'll get results.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    norg wrote: »
    Do you have carb refeed days?
    That would not be Keto. When in Keto, you main source of energy is fat not carbs, glycogen and the like.
    On a carb based energy approach, you have a reserve of about 2,000 calories of stored energy.
    Ketosis is a fat based energy approach and as such you have 20,000 calories of stored energy.

A person trying to maintain a Keto state does not want to introduce a "carb load" day. It defeats the purpose.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Errrica91 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

so I've followed low carb diet most of my life and keto diet on and off for the last 5 months:-)
    My diet quite sucked last few weeks and I started the diet again a week ago including exercise. The thing is - I've been in ketosis for 5 days, drunk plenty of water, done Insanity 30 (HIIT) 5x/a week, and yoga for stretch mainly AND I went from 141lbs to almost 145lbs :(

I'm not PMSing or anything I plan on keeping zero carbs for a few more days, I have enough of protein, AND healthy fats. So what's the problem?:(

Zero carbs? What are you eating day in day out that is zero carb?

The rest of your post just sounds like a bit of water weight, don't worry about that unless it continues.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    That would not be Keto. When in Keto, you main source of energy is fat not carbs, glycogen and the like.
    On a carb based energy approach, you have a reserve of about 2,000 calories of stored energy.
    Ketosis is a fat based energy approach and as such you have 20,000 calories of stored energy.

A person trying to maintain a Keto state does not want to introduce a "carb load" day. It defeats the purpose.
    There are k-e-t-o dieters who have claimed they eat up to 200+ grams of carbs a day and stay in nutritional ketosis.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Hey guys,

OP--how old are you?

• _Terrapin_
    Options

K-e-t-o dieters have claimed staying in nutritional ketosis and consuming 200+ carbs in a day. Maybe they are right?!?
  • Errrica91
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Hey guys,

OP--how old are you?

I'm 23, why?:)
  • _Terrapin_
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey guys,

OP--how old are you?

Just curious. When I see someone post a certain their entire lives I get curious. At any rat, the simple answer to your query is water weight. The diet isn't causing weight gain(Temporary) but the exercise might be. Before someone has their panties/boxers/leaves/loin cloth getting twisted.....excess calories will lead to weight gain. CICO applies first, track calories and go about your day. Best of luck.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I've done Insanity in the past. Now I'm doing INSANITY MAX 30:)

That's an impressive program. It would kill me right now. Kudos to you. Have fun with it. :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

OP--how old are you?

Just curious. When I see someone post a certain their entire lives I get curious. At any rat, the simple answer to your query is water weight. The diet isn't causing weight gain(Temporary) but the exercise might be. Before someone has their panties/boxers/leaves/loin cloth getting twisted.....excess calories will lead to weight gain. CICO applies first, track calories and go about your day. Best of luck.

What is this??^^^^Makes no sense besides coming off as snarky.