For weight loss.. Do you follow any eating plan?

Options
I have been currently following weight watchers. Lost 65lb in 7 months. Ive been playing with the weight loss really for the past 3 months. Losing & gaining the same 3-5lbs.

Im thinking on possibly trying slimming world. But have never tried this. Either this or nust basic calorie counting. I have always just done weight watchers online, thinking on possibly joing a group?

I have around 38lbs to lose and determined to get it off

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've only done calorie counting. It works as long as you're accurate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Only calorie counting for me
  • Next_summer
    Next_summer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im really considering trying just calorie counting. Possibly stop me eating silly calories and maybe make me think more about what im eating?

Out of interest, how many calories do you consume in a day? Is there a set amount you shouldnt go over/ under?
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have been currently following weight watchers. Lost 65lb in 7 months. Ive been playing with the weight loss really for the past 3 months. Losing & gaining the same 3-5lbs.

Im thinking on possibly trying slimming world. But have never tried this. Either this or nust basic calorie counting. I have always just done weight watchers online, thinking on possibly joing a group?

You sound almost exactly what I went through. Lost 65 on WW then I just couldn't drop any more pounds and I had 50 to go still. Finally after much frustration and getting so frustrated I went off track and gained back 10 pounds I found MFP. I've now lost those ten pounds plus 10 pounds more. I definitely suggest switching up your program. Those free point fruits and veggies and weekly points were just too many calories for me to maintain a loss after I lost a good portion of my weight
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Im really considering trying just calorie counting. Possibly stop me eating silly calories and maybe make me think more about what im eating?

Out of interest, how many calories do you consume in a day? Is there a set amount you shouldnt go over/ under?
    The suggested calories will be different depending on many factors. Set up a free account here on MFP, and you will guided through questions that will determine your daily calorie goal. You will be glad you did.

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    And weigh your food don't use measuring cups except for liquids :) something I didn't know when I first started and I was amazed at what a difference in portion sizes/calories
  • Next_summer
    Options

You sound almost exactly what I went through. Lost 65 on WW then I just couldn't drop any more pounds and I had 50 to go still. Finally after much frustration and getting so frustrated I went off track and gained back 10 pounds I found MFP. I've now lost those ten pounds plus 10 pounds more. I definitely suggest switching up your program. Those free point fruits and veggies and weekly points were just too many calories for me to maintain a loss after I lost a good portion of my weight
    And weigh your food don't use measuring cups except for liquids :) something I didn't know when I first started and I was amazed at what a difference in portion sizes/calories

Thanks for the tip. Will weigh and measure everything. Def think ww worked for me at the start, just time to try something new.. Enter into a new phase.

Silly question, if you eat out etc then how do you cope. Not that i eat out a lot, but im thinking with it coming into the festive season.. How do you cope with restraunts etc?

• blkandwhite77
    Options
    I look at their menu before hand and find meals that fit in my calories (plus the serving sizes are normally so big I eat half and save the other half for lunch or dinner the next day). Pre planning definitely helps when eating out. I also only order water (I'm too cheap to pay $3 for a glass of diet soda plus it helps get in my water goals)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip. Will weigh and measure everything. Def think ww worked for me at the start, just time to try something new.. Enter into a new phase.

Silly question, if you eat out etc then how do you cope. Not that i eat out a lot, but im thinking with it coming into the festive season.. How do you cope with restraunts etc?

Since I weigh my food at home I have a pretty good idea how to estimate food. Let's say I order a steak, potatoes, glass of chianti, and have a piece of pie for dessert. I search the database for the cut of steak I ordered, and eyeball how many ounces...at a restaurant it is always going to be over 4. I enter it as "cooked" weight since I'm eyeballing cooked food. Then I enter how many grams of potatoes it seems I have. Or I can enter one "large" potato. I never forget that most sides have at least a tablespoon of oil or serving of butter, so I account for that with 120 calories. Log a 5oz glass of wine. For the pie, I might find something in the database that seems the most right to me...I might see something that says 200 calories-I know from experience that is too good to be true. I'll choose something with closer to 500-600 depending on the size of the slice.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I look at the nutritional info online before going, decide what fits my goals and don't look at the menu when I get there. The pictures get me nearly every time, once I'm hungry. Or, expect to be over that day and shave a few calories from each day the rest of the week. Or, just accept that you're over and may not be in a deficit that week. You can't live in fear of enjoying your life, or always feel guilty around food. This is what has helped me.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Do I follow any eating plan? Yes.

It's the plan of eating whatever I like within my calorie goal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Congrats. It sounds like it was working for you. As others said, I would make sure your portions aren't creeping up but keep doing what works.

I follow a very LCHF diet while eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight. It's not just for weightloss (CI<CO is why I have weight loss) but for improved health on a few issues. I eat similar to an Atkins diet, but took most of my planning from The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek, and Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution by R. Bernstein.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Another one for simply counting calories here (well, and I watch my macros and try to get plenty of nutrient-dense foods). I've successfully lost weight this way several times.

The reason it's "several times" is because of pregnancy ... it's harder to lose that weight than to put it on :lol:
  • LeeMay63
    LeeMay63 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking Fit Tea every morning; it is suppose to rev up your metabolism. Sounds crazy,but I've lost a few pounds lately. I also try not to eat any junk food,also. The tea is pretty good,so why not.
  • Next_summer
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Another one for simply counting calories here (well, and I watch my macros and try to get plenty of nutrient-dense foods). I've successfully lost weight this way several times.

The reason it's "several times" is because of pregnancy ... it's harder to lose that weight than to put it on :lol:

Several pregnanies is the reason im here too.. Only ive never actually properly lost all the weigh each time. Ive been pregnant 5 times, and 2 of them were twin pregnancies lol
  • blkandwhite77
    Options

Several pregnanies is the reason im here too.. Only ive never actually properly lost all the weigh each time. Ive been pregnant 5 times, and 2 of them were twin pregnancies lol

Lol 6 pregnancies (all singles) it wasn't so much the "pregnancy" weight I needed to lose as the "I'm pregnant so I'm going to eat whatever I want and use pregnancy as an excuse" weight... Seriously gained 80 lbs with one pregnancy :/
  • Next_summer
    Options

Lol 6 pregnancies (all singles) it wasn't so much the "pregnancy" weight I needed to lose as the "I'm pregnant so I'm going to eat whatever I want and use pregnancy as an excuse" weight... Seriously gained 80 lbs with one pregnancy :/

I can relate totally to that! My last pregnancy was a twin one.. I actually lost 14lbs with that one.. But gained 28lbs back on in the year after they were born lol
  • nutmegoreo
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LeeMay63 wrote: »
    I've been drinking Fit Tea every morning; it is suppose to rev up your metabolism. Sounds crazy,but I've lost a few pounds lately. I also try not to eat any junk food,also. The tea is pretty good,so why not.

Contains birch which increases urine output.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-352-birch.aspx?activeingredientid=352&activeingredientname=birch

I'm glad you are enjoying it, but the weight loss is water loss and not a reduction in fat.

ETA: It may be a fat loss, depending on your food intake, but not the tea.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for a while, lost a good amount of weight. But then I got tired of paying so I came over here.

WW really is just a simplified (some would "dumbed down") version of calorie counting.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I was on WW for a while, lost a good amount of weight. But then I got tired of paying so I came over here.

WW really is just a simplified (some would "dumbed down") version of calorie counting.

I also had success with WW, but didn't want to keep paying. I don't know if it's dumbed down, but I would say that the use of points makes it difficult to really know what you are getting out of your foods (macros and micros). The issue I feel comes with this is difficulty in maintaining without continuing to follow the program. I find that the information I get through here helps to make better choices.