Help! I'm gaining weight with diet and exercise!

Options

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If that is not how it generally works, then maybe that is why most people fail, and it worked for me because I put the work in to get the result.

I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it. But once you make it a habit, and once you reach a healthy weight and good fitness level, its not that hard to maintain it. The hardest part is getting to that level.

It's really pretty simple.

if you are not active enough and eat too much you will be over weight.

if you are active enough and don't eat too much you will not be over weight.

But many people who are already over weight do not want to go through the discomfort of activity. So what do they do? They turn to weighing food, counting calories, and starving themselves. IMO, that is just replacing one bad habit with another.

What I have bolded above are not untrue statements.

They are equally true when edited as such:

Exercise can increase the deficit, but you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. People who can't/don't want to exercise are certainly losing out on other benefits, but they're still perfectly capable of losing weight. Exercise isn't the determining factor in weight loss; calorie deficit is. How that deficit is created is up to the individual.

It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth.

Do you even realize that you crossed out parts of what I said, and then said pretty much the exact same thing but in different words?

Don't you realise that the editing is the point ...the activity means little, the food intake lots

That's the point everyone is making
    " It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth."

Which is almost exactly what I said.

Activity and "NOT EATING TOO MUCH"
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If that is not how it generally works, then maybe that is why most people fail, and it worked for me because I put the work in to get the result.

I think many people make it much more complicated than it needs to be. I also think many people just don't want to put the work in. Lets face it. Its very strenuous and uncomfortable to exercise, and many people do not want to do it. But once you make it a habit, and once you reach a healthy weight and good fitness level, its not that hard to maintain it. The hardest part is getting to that level.

But many people who are already over weight do not want to go through the discomfort of activity. So what do they do? They turn to weighing food, counting calories, and starving themselves. IMO, that is just replacing one bad habit with another.

Exercise can increase the deficit, but you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. People who can't/don't want to exercise are certainly losing out on other benefits, but they're still perfectly capable of losing weight. Exercise isn't the determining factor in weight loss; calorie deficit is. How that deficit is created is up to the individual.

It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth.

Do you even realize that you crossed out parts of what I said, and then said pretty much the exact same thing but in different words?

Don't you realise that the editing is the point ...the activity means little, the food intake lots

" It's an important distinction because there are people who think they can eat as much as they want as long as they're exercising, which is far from the truth."

On the flip side there are people who think that if they don't exercise, they will never be able to lose weight, because they don't think they consume that many calories. Without weighing and counting calories this side of the equation is unbalanced.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

On the flip side there are people who think that if they don't exercise, they will never be able to lose weight, because they don't think they consume that many calories. Without weighing and counting calories this side of the equation is unbalanced.

Good point!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Good point!

It stems from an argument with a former friend who insists he doesn't eat much. Chocolate bars, chips, ice cream, and regular soda are not volume foods, but wow those calories add up when they are all consumed on a daily basis. He insists that he could lose weight if he would work out every day. He might, but it would be beneficial to balance the CI part of the equation.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • queenliz99
    edited November 2015
    Options

Good point!

It stems from an argument with a former friend who insists he doesn't eat much. Chocolate bars, chips, ice cream, and regular soda are not volume foods, but wow those calories add up when they are all consumed on a daily basis. He insists that he could lose weight if he would work out every day. He might, but it would be beneficial to balance the CI part of the equation.

I used to think I could eat whatever I want and lose but I never could. Those last 20 pounds never went away. I was a fitness instructor for many years. I was fit but overweight. Until I understood how essential accurate calorie counting was I never lost. Along comes MFP which made it crazy easy to count, I finally lost those pounds. You cannot out exercise over eating.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Good point!

I used to think I could eat whatever I want and lose but I never could. Those last 20 pounds never went away. I was a fitness instructor for many years. I was fit but overweight. Until I understood how essential accurate calorie counting was I never lost. Along comes MFP which made it crazy easy to count, I finally lost those pounds. You cannot out exercise over eating.

I had a similar thing going on, but I was using MFP. I had myself convinced that I was getting enough exercise in (cause FitBit told me, plus MFP was giving me those crazy exercise cals), and then was consuming while guessing at the entries I used in the database. While I think the FitBit might have been close (I have a different FitBit now, that gives me a bit less and I track exercise through FitBit only, and intake through here only), my calorie in side of the equation was way off. Now that I am no longer lying to myself, my results are much better.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Good point!

I had a similar thing going on, but I was using MFP. I had myself convinced that I was getting enough exercise in (cause FitBit told me, plus MFP was giving me those crazy exercise cals), and then was consuming while guessing at the entries I used in the database. While I think the FitBit might have been close (I have a different FitBit now, that gives me a bit less and I track exercise through FitBit only, and intake through here only), my calorie in side of the equation was way off. Now that I am no longer lying to myself, my results are much better.

<3
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

actually if you just eat too much you will gain weight, being active has nothing to do with it. So yea, that is not true.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    OP just way all your food, count and log it.
    And by weighing i mean....weighing! Not measuring anything even serving sizes, cups and spoons forget them.

create a deficit and you will lose weight ( eyeballing food works only for some people )

Than exercise helps a lot to get fit But is not necessary needed for weight loss. Of course it is better for overall health

But start weighing your food you eat more calories than you think...you are gaining

that is all there is to it.

Yes. Follow this advice and replace one bad habit with another.

Just sit on the couch and weigh your food. Make sure you get an accurate scale too cause you're going to need every gram of food. Then when you starve yourself long enough you will start binging, and most likely put more weight on than you started with.

But don't worry, you can always start over.

and over... and over... and over...

Or... You can follow my advice, and do it the right way.

You will feel better, look better, and be better. And you will most likely never have to worry about your weight, because you will be healthy as a whole, and not just a half.

Why is weighing and logging your food a bad habit? (I don't weigh, by the way, so it's not like I have a dog in that fight). Seriously. Why?

Weighing your food =/= starving yourself! It just means that you know with a much greater degree of precision how much you are taking in.

Who said just sit on the couch? I mean, a few people have said exercise isn't necessary to lose weight, and it's true. Most people are saying exercise alone isn't sufficient to lose weight. You're saying it is. (And, just to be clear, I exercise regularly, even if it isn't always "power walking.")

Why is your way The right way? And if it is, why couldn't I lose weight when I was hitting the gym for a couple hours a day and "not eating too much"? And I'm not the only one.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    OP just way all your food, count and log it.
    And by weighing i mean....weighing! Not measuring anything even serving sizes, cups and spoons forget them.

create a deficit and you will lose weight ( eyeballing food works only for some people )

Than exercise helps a lot to get fit But is not necessary needed for weight loss. Of course it is better for overall health

But start weighing your food you eat more calories than you think...you are gaining

that is all there is to it.

Yes. Follow this advice and replace one bad habit with another.

Just sit on the couch and weigh your food. Make sure you get an accurate scale too cause you're going to need every gram of food. Then when you starve yourself long enough you will start binging, and most likely put more weight on than you started with.

But don't worry, you can always start over.

and over... and over... and over...

Or... You can follow my advice, and do it the right way.

You will feel better, look better, and be better. And you will most likely never have to worry about your weight, because you will be healthy as a whole, and not just a half.

You know i said nowhere that the OP has to sit on the couch.

But for normal weight loss exercise is not needed. OP IS exercising but gaining weight...which means she still eats to much. OP can run or power walk to the moon or back but when she not get her eating habits in hand she will keep on gaining.

Move more eat less dont always mean you will lose weight...it depends HOW MUCH you eat and how big your deficit is. You can power walk all you want but if you are eating SURPLUS you WILL gain.

Now for the whole eyeballing part...a lot of people do this...the eyeballing. And really have no idea how much they eat. You can apparently and kudos and power to you. Praise your self lucky...i certainly can not eyeball. and rather than trying and experimenting with it, i chose to weigh everything. Very simple and is 30 seconds more to do so.
    I dont like guessing games when my health and weight loss is on stake.
    I weigh very simple.

Because after all, what is "not eating too much" to one person is not the same for another person. My husband for example eat less than me. He eat more calories than me. And indeed my portions are weigh bigger than his. But i eat more veggies and fruit he snacks more. Still i eat about 800 calories less than him... so what is not eating too much? When i eat less but the smae he does i will gain because i will eat SURPLUS and how do i know...well i weigh my food and his!

that is also how i lost my weight like thousands of others on here.

Now i am a daily walker..power walker yeah maybe i have no idea but i walk an average of 15K steps and on incline of 3 to 4 if i want some more out of it. So nothing against moving your butt.

But i didnt say anywhere that she has to stop or NOT exercise. I said she has to get her eating habits in grip and get control over portions and moderation.

So your sarcastic comment is NOT appreciated and certainly was not needed to do so either.

95069916.png
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Then when you starve yourself long enough

Actually, by weighing your food, you aren't starving yourself, you can eat more because you aren't estimating - you are getting the accurate serving and not leaving calories behind
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I believe that just like the recommended minimum required amounts of nutrients, there should be a recommended amount of required exercise. Actually, if you go to the CDC website, you will se that there actually is a recommended amount of exercise. It's 2 to 3 hours of cardio per week, and 1 to 2 hours of muscular per week. They also say that exercise in combination with a well balanced diet is important in maintaining a healthy body and a healthy weight.

Now people who are already over weight and out of shape need to work harder until they get to the maintenance part that the CDC recommends. A healthy way to do that (IMO) is to cut 500 calories off your BMR calories, do 3 to 5 hours of cardio, and 2 to 3 hours of muscular. You can add at least half of your exercise calories to your daily allowable intake. This will enable you to eat a well balanced diet, improve your fitness level, and still lose about a pound a week.

Once you reach a good fitness level and healthy weight, you can then do the maintenance recommendation.

I did not read anything that says not to exercise, and just count calories and weigh your food, and you'll be fine. To me that's just replacing one bad habit with another because a person does not want to exercise, and only do one part of the recommendations. I am all for counting calories to a point, and only to train yourself how to eat properly. If you can't eat without weighing and counting, then to me that is a bad habit. To me that means you can not even trust yourself to eat properly. It also tells me that you are so hungry that you need to squeeze every last calorie out of your diet (probably because you are not exercising enough to have a well balanced diet), and if that's the case it will only be a matter of time before you start binging and wind up gaining more than you started with.

This is a whole package, and it should be a whole package. You cant just discount half the equation (like so many people here think) and expect to have a high success rate.

Exercise allows you to have a very satisfying and very well balanced diet without going over your calories. Not only that but it warts off so many conditions that people are at risk of without it.

I had diverticulitis, I have been told I have COPD, I have a slight enlargement at the bottom of my heart, I have always had high cholesterol, and my other blood work always came back not so good.

I have been to many doctors over the past 3 to 4 years and hospitalized many times over those years. I met many many doctors along the way.

Want to know what every single one of them told me to help my various conditions?

WALK!

Want to know what the surgeon told me after he removed 8 inches of my colon?

WALK! (I walked those damn hallways a million times until they discharged me.)

Want to know what they told me about being obese?

WALK! and don't eat too much.

I just recently had a check up with full blood work after losing the weight, and all my blood work is normal (including cholesterol), my heart sounds fine now, and I have increased my lung capacity be at least 20 percent. My primary doctor is AWED by it.

Want to know what he said?

Bob... KEEP WALKING! (didn't even mention not eating too much that time.)

I have not been hospitalized in over a year now, and I very strongly believe that walking saved my life. I am actually shedding a few tears as I am typing this, because the memories of the trauma and fear just came back to me.

Sorry, but I feel very strongly about this, and I just cannot bring myself to agree with only doing half the equation because you just don't want to exercise. There are probably many people (like that girl in the story that was posted in this thread) who would give anything to be able to walk, and there are people who are perfectly capable of walking who just don't feel like it.

I never said it would be easy, but nothing that gets results is easy. I struggled for a good month just to walk a mile at a slow pace without having to lay down for an hour. But I kept pushing it, and now it is a part of my daily routine. I can't not do it now, and that to me is replacing a bad habit (sitting on my butt) with a good habit (walking my butt off). If I don't get my 10,000 steps in with my power walk, I regular walk enough to get at least 10,000 steps in.

I think walking is the best exercise for many reasons. For one, low impact is needed to maintain joint health, and walking provides that perfectly. If you walk as fast as you can you can get a great cardio workout (especially on hilly terrain), and your legs get a very good endurance workout.

I also never said not to eat smart, but you shouldn't have to become a slave to a scale. You should know in your mind what you should be eating and what you should not be eating. To me exercise is the most important thing because it gives you enough of a buffer to eat a well balanced diet, a satisfying diet, and be able to have a treat once in a while without an issue.

That being said, I cant make people exercise if they don't want to, but I can express my opinions in hopes to plant the seed of thought based on my experience.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

My goodness, how judgmental can you get? Just because someone weighs food and counts calories does not mean they are starving themselves or that they don't want to exercise. It just means they (we) have found a way that works for us.

Bottom line: it takes a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise is not mandatory to weight loss, but it has many health benefits.

Power walking may have worked for you, which is wonderful, but it is not the answer to weight loss. It's just the way you chose to create your calorie deficit.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Arrogant much? For your information, I walk at least 40 miles a week, do 2 hour long Aqua Fit classes at high intensity, 2 yoga classes, 2 personal training sessions a week plus a hike thrown in there. None of that would have made much of a difference in my 68+ weight loss over 10 months if I didn't know how much I was eating.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    @bcalvanese I get that you really believe in exercise, but surely -- surely -- you recognize that everyone is different. There isn't only *one* way to sustainable weight loss.

As has been stated numerous times, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss. That's the bottom line. And if someone achieves weight loss without exercise, please stop suggesting that they merely embarked on a road of "bad habits".
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

To a point..
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

I realise that you've had success with your method, but that doesn't always work for everyone. It's completely down to personal preference and experience.

When I started out on MFP, I worked out 5x a week and weighed everything, and I lose weight. Now that I'm a lot busier and at a 'healthy' BMI, I'm not working out- but I'm still counting calories. And I'm still losing weight.

You can easily log and counter a sedentary lifestyle through logging and deficit. You can't out-exercise bad eating (or inaccurate/nonexistent logging).

ETA: I do agree that a lot of people dont want to put the work in though- but those that do will see the benefits, and those that dont (wether its sticking to a calorie goal or working out or both) wont see any weight loss or reach their goals. And that's their own loss.

I'm sorry, but unless the basic laws of physics changes from person to person, this will work for anyone who can walk.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZkbtP-t_D8
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @bcalvanese

You know when walking alone would be it..i would have been vaporized by now

I worked about 96 hours a week
    walked average of 10 miles a day for 5 days a week and Saterdays and Sundays which were my top days evenmore.
    How?

I was a horse riding instructor and was teaching a lot.
    Saturdays and Sundays it could go up to 10 hours a day!

And i didn't stand in the middle i walked around with the student and the horse
    When it where very young inexperienced students i jogged beside them....hour after hour. 7 days a week And no no days off for years It was my riding school and horses dont go on Holiday.
    They need food and cleaning every day!

Besides that i had to do my own competition horses and train them.

Still i wasn't size tiny...not really overweight but almost.
    And i didn't lose 1 pound....because i ate too.

And if you think that counting food is lazy because people wont exercise...than dread the day you get an injury when you can not exercise at all anymore or for a period of time.

Than you will be lazy too.

I find your comments here to say people who count food are lazy to move totally out of proportion and arrogant yes even rude.
    A
    And OP exercises 2 to 3 times a week, who knows for how long.

for me with my daily walking and jogging and teaching 3 times a weel BurnWithBarn Body-Robics™ Class would like to dare you to keep up with my ladies and see who is the lazy one here.

You are very ...very judgmental towards a person you dont know.

95069916.png
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat in a deficit and that requires counting calories, that does not mean you will starve! If you chose to exercise than you create a bigger deficit and it will allow for you to eat more calories. You do not need to exercise to lose weight. I chose to exercise because I like the way it makes me feel, I had about three months where I wasn't able to even walk much due to an injury and guess what? I still lost weight and I was not starving. I know a lady who lost over 200 lbs on diet alone, no exercise and she did not starve herself and she is keeping it off for over 2 yrs now. Everyone has to find their own balance, what works for them. Good luck on your journey.