Family Meal Rant

Options
So I have a small budget right now and my mother who lives with my family tends to buy the food. Not usually a big deal as i go with her and help. She is a very overweight woman with destructive tendencies and destructive critique as well. She always picks up food she knows me and my husband will not eat willingly as we are both trying to loose for medical reason. She refuses to lose at all. I was basically out voted tonight on one of these foods and i ended up having to eat it anyways or starve, because our budget does not allow for multiple meals. Okay... I'm done.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Good to have a rant.
    If you and your husband are providing the money, or a larger percentage of, for the food budget, be more assertive when you are shopping with your mum.
    Allow her a couple of things, obviously, but buy what the majority of the household likes to eat; not the minority.
    I know it is hard to be firm with mums, but it is she that is living with you, not the reverse.

Cheers, h.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    its more of a mutual thing us living together, Her house our rules since Dad died shes had a few mental problems that require she live with someone. I would be buying all the groceries and she would be left to buy her junk herself if i hadn't needed to finish paying for school out of pocket this year. Next year will be different. Usually its a majority of the time more what we will eat than what we wont so she when at home and eating with us is involuntarily following our diet, however her portions sizes or huge. Sometimes if i don't fix mine before i let her fix hers i don't have enough left to eat. Its been a long time since ive had NO control like tonight so it did make me feel horrible since im still hungry and 200 over my cals for the day.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So you and your husband are living in your mother's home and she is paying for the food for all of you?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    This thread is weird.

What horrible food is she making you eat?
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Not all the time we switch off sometimes. But yes this go around she did. She does not however pay for everything so i do not need a lecture about being grateful for having a roof over my head and food to eat. We do own our own home. We do not have to rely on my mother to survive, she has to live with family per her psychiatrist's orders. I just finished paying for nursing school at the beginning of this year. So no its not a we don't have the money issue. It was a rant that we are on a budget and cooking two separate meals is illogical and my calories got the short end of the stick. I have to suck it up I'm a big girl but i was looking for support to do so.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    A veggie omelette would cost about a dollar an omelet. Maybe next time just do that
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    A baked potato, slice of bread with a little butter and some veggies would be around sixty cents
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    A broccoli and cheese quiche would be about $2
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    Just a few ideas
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Thanks, i didnt think about that! but trying to save whats left of eggs for thanksgiving.... Ummm donno for what though
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I'm not really understanding what's happening here. If your only option is to eat something that is very calorie laden and you truly have no other options, then just eat less of it. 200 calories over isn't a huge deal; you could always take a walk to burn some of it off.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Yeah i know i was just ranting cause i felt like i had no choice in the matter. I only had 9 of the little chicken and a bag of chips. BUT its the fact that im still hungry that has made me so upset. I can normally eat that many calories when i cook and not be hungry at all. I'm downing water to help. But it is still depressing.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are in a frustrating spot. My husband(bless him) eats pretty much exclusively processed crap food. I love him but it makes grocery shopping and cooking interesting, until I decided not to worry if he doesn't eat what I am making myself he will cook his own food and that leaves me with a second meal for the next day's lunch.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    its more of a mutual thing us living together, Her house our rules since Dad died shes had a few mental problems that require she live with someone. I would be buying all the groceries and she would be left to buy her junk herself if i hadn't needed to finish paying for school out of pocket this year. Next year will be different. Usually its a majority of the time more what we will eat than what we wont so she when at home and eating with us is involuntarily following our diet, however her portions sizes or huge. Sometimes if i don't fix mine before i let her fix hers i don't have enough left to eat. Its been a long time since ive had NO control like tonight so it did make me feel horrible since im still hungry and 200 over my cals for the day.

What does your diet allow you to eat and what is she offering which does not conform?
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    I eat what i want normally within cal allowance but we had a big breakfast this morning i made pancakes. So tonight she wanted to eat and was agreed with by everyone else the kids and husband Honey BBq boneless wings @ 3 for 200 cals. with fries. I was just upset because i knew i would eat my little 9 ( they are no bigger than nuggets) and chips (not enough fries) and still be hungry BUT be over my calories too.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So I have a small budget right now and my mother who lives with my family tends to buy the food. Not usually a big deal as i go with her and help. She is a very overweight woman with destructive tendencies and destructive critique as well. She always picks up food she knows me and my husband will not eat willingly as we are both trying to loose for medical reason. She refuses to lose at all. I was basically out voted tonight on one of these foods and i ended up having to eat it anyways or starve, because our budget does not allow for multiple meals. Okay... I'm done.

If it's your house.....it's your rules. <
    That's my motto, with no exceptions.
    You and your husband must lead out!
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    Outvoted AND I had to cook it. He normally doesnt go against me so I wont hold it against him. The kids of course just love chicken nuggets and fries (dont help both my girls are underweight for their age)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Outvoted AND I had to cook it. He normally doesnt go against me so I wont hold it against him. The kids of course just love chicken nuggets and fries (dont help both my girls are underweight for their age)

Okay, well it was one meal. It isn't like you have to do this often. I'm sure your nutritional needs aren't suffering too much. Good luck OP.

• cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    [/quote]
    If it's your house.....it's your rules. <
    That's my motto, with no exceptions.
    You and your husband must lead out![/quote]
    Mutual House though, if anything it is hers by name. Ours in the fact we pay for repairs and upkeep for the past 4 years. but whose house isn't the issue. I believe it is more of an internal i hate this struggle than anything.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Okay, well it was one meal. It isn't like you have to do this often. I'm sure your nutritional needs aren't suffering too much. Good luck OP.

Thank you!