The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options
Anyone out there on this diet? How do you like it? I'm thinking about doing it.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Nothing but physical activity or dangerous drugs will appreciably alter your metabolism.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How does it work? Calorie counting?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's another gimmick diet designed to sell books. The author's been a recurring guest on Dr. Oz (which should be a strong indication against it). The diet will saddle you with a lot of rules about what to eat and when to eat it, it will take up a lot of your time working out how to comply with it, and you'll ultimately go off of it because it will be too restrictive to keep up.

You will likely lose weight while following the diet, but not because the rules of the diet mean anything. You'll lose the weight because the structure forces you into a deficit. You can save the money on the book and keep some sanity with your friends and family by using MFP as designed.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    ◾No wheat, corn, dairy, soy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dried fruit or fruit juices, artificial sweeteners, fat-free “diet” foods.
    ◾Diet confusion, cycling diet with a change in strategy every few days.
    ◾Phase 1 – high-glycemic, moderate-protein, low-fat – days 1 and 2.
    ◾Phase 2 – high-protein, high-vegetable, low-carbohydrate, low-fat – days 3 and 4.
    ◾Phase 3 – high healthy-fat, moderate-carbohydrate, moderate-protein, low-glycemic fruit – days 5, 6, and 7.
    ◾The more weight you aim to lose, the bigger the portion sizes.

Sounds restrictive, boring, and doesn't seem like it would create any appreciable benefits over regular calorie restriction. It also talks about starvation mode on calorie restricted diets. Sounds like typical diet industry confusion methods to sell books.

OP, this isn't necessary, and the rationale given is bunk, but at least it doesn't appear to be dangerous. Best of luck to you.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, BUT eating in a deficit works and is free. Good luck.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It looks like you would be eating at a calorie deficit and if you do that you will lose weight. It suggests doing interval training at the gym, strength training 30 mins and 30 mins cardio per day. That would give you some extra calories used while retaining muscle. But this:
    senecarr wrote: »
    Nothing but physical activity or dangerous drugs will appreciably alter your metabolism.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Eating a normal healthy balanced diet at the right calorie level... Have food you like!

Add some activity you enjoy!

That is the secret plan that will work long term you can live with.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Eating a normal healthy balanced diet at the right calorie level... Have food you like!

Add some activity you enjoy!

That is the secret plan that will work long term you can live with.

Your secret plan doesn't reduce weight in the OPs wallet by transferring it to Hayley Pomroy and Dr. Oz, hence the fatal flaw (according to the woo peddlers).
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    If you read the 1 star reviews on amazon about this diet (book), you'll have an eye-opener.

It sounds hideously complicated. Big money maker for the author. I wouldn't bother with it for 5 minutes.

I did know someone who tried it and was very gung-ho for about 8 days. Then, it was all over.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why would a high metabolism diet want to ban caffeine - have they thought that through properly?

Mini rant: Why is coffee and caffeine so often seen as evil by fad diets and wannabe nutritionists? Yet some other herbal things that "give you a natural lift in energy" as seen as a miracle of nature?
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    Why would a high metabolism diet want to ban caffeine - have they thought that through properly?

Mini rant: Why is coffee and caffeine so often seen as evil by fad diets and wannabe nutritionists? Yet some other herbal things that "give you a natural lift in energy" as seen as a miracle of nature?

What mlinci says - in spades
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Cause coffee is cheap and easy to get while they can sell their miracle pills for lots of profit.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I think a lot of those diets say caffine raises cortisol levels, and that's their premise for banning it. Whether or not this is true, I don't know. I have been an avid coffee drinker for over 20 years and have never gained weight from it, or found that it impedes my ability to lose weight.

The only reason why I state the cortisol connection is because my Mom went on a fad diet a few months ago and they included a few paragraphs in her literature regarding caffine and cortisol. Ironically, not studies were cited so there was no way to determine where they obtained that information lol.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with your metabolism. Honest. Everyone seems to think their's is broken. It's not.

Eat to lose 1lb/week, exercise, doing something you like, and be patient. The weight will come off. No DIET needed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

Cause coffee is cheap and easy to get while they can sell their miracle pills for lots of profit.

Bingo!!

Op- this diet is silly. There's no need for any special diets. Just eat less and move more. Cico. Its that simple.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there on this diet? How do you like it? I'm thinking about doing it.

Not for me. Now that I'm at goal I eat maintenance calories, but when I was losing weight I was eating at a calorie deficit. That's all it took. Exercise helped me to be able to eat a bit more, but it's not necessary to weight loss.

Here's a tidbit for you:

Any diet will work if you eat at a calorie deficit, and no diet will work if you eat at a surplus.

In other words, it's not diet type that causes weight loss, it's the calorie deficit. ;)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    It looks like you would be eating at a calorie deficit and if you do that you will lose weight. It suggests doing interval training at the gym, strength training 30 mins and 30 mins cardio per day. That would give you some extra calories used while retaining muscle. But this:

how does 30 minutes of cardio retain muscle?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how does 30 minutes of cardio retain muscle?

Strength training 30 minutes and cardio 30 minutes.