does anyone juice???? help!!!!

Options
My husband and I just started juicing as part of our lifestyle. We have everything set up we've did a few test runs and love the taste, the way they make us feel. I've done as much research as I can on how to go about it. But wanna make sure I'm still doing it right! If you juice please add me. Also how would you log the juice. I just logged each food I put into the juice but I know that's not right cause the calories are in the pulp.... Help!!!

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    With juicing, you're leaving out some good stuff like fiber and because it takes so much to create a single glass, you're consuming more calories. The calories are not just in the pulp. Depending on what you are juicing, most of the calories are in the sugar which is what you are getting a lot of, especially if you're using fruit.

Why not just eat the whole food or at least get a machine that liquefies the entire food, instead of leaving the good fiber behind?
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Noooo.. The calories are in the JUICE. Pulp is mostly fiber. When you juice you're throwing most of the healthy part of the fruit away. Orange juice, as an example, contains the same amount of or more calories and sugar (sugar is sugar, in most respects, fruit sugar or otherwise) as Coke or Pepsi.

You can easily consume the juice of 8 oranges in a tall glass of OJ, which would put you into a temporary energy spike from the sugar, which would crash shortly leaving you hungry. If you tried to sit down and eat 8 oranges, you'd probably not be able to, but you'd be full for the rest of the day because of the fiber, which would also promote healthy digestion and colon health.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The calories are in the juice....the calories are in the juice....the calories are in the juice!

I did enjoy juicing for a while. Had a glass of carrot/apple/cucumber/celery juice almost every day until I got tired of making it and cleaning up and buying 10lbs of carrots at a time. :)

I personally like smoothies better because you get all the fiber, and it's more filling and it's a great way to get all your veggies in for the day if you have trouble doing that. I haven't done smoothies in a while either because, time consuming and expensive.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but I'd stick to the occasional juice and just eat a normal diet while watching calories and making sure you meet your nutritional macros. Your body is designed to digest food....in all forms...not just liquid.
  • run4fun89
    run4fun89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We juice breakfast and lunch with the occasional smoothie at lunch Instead. We watch what we eat for dinner. I know that the pulp is fiber but we are getting the nutritional value from the veggies we Normally wouldn't eat. Our juices are 80
  • run4fun89
    Options
    % veggies/greens and. 20% fruits. They are not just a glass full of calories. They are mostly water Dense foods
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between "Juicing" where the pulp is ejected and "juicing" where the entire fruit (or whatever) is blended together, like you would do with a Nutribullet? i.e. peal an orange stick it in a blender with other stuff, pulverize it real good and drink the concoction.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between "Juicing" where the pulp is ejected and "juicing" where the entire fruit (or whatever) is blended together, like you would do with a Nutribullet? i.e. peal an orange stick it in a blender with other stuff, pulverize it real good and drink the concoction.

The second isn't juicing. Juicing is when the pulp is separated from the liquid. Juicers typically have a container to collect the pulp. Although some juicers will reuse this pulp in other recipes (like muffins), the juice itself won't have the fiber that would be included in a smoothie or blended drink.
  • pondee629
    Options

The second isn't juicing. Juicing is when the pulp is separated from the liquid. Juicers typically have a container to collect the pulp. Although some juicers will reuse this pulp in other recipes (like muffins), the juice itself won't have the fiber that would be included in a smoothie or blended drink.

"The second isn't juicing." The second would be making a smoothie or blended drink? This would be "better"?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

"The second isn't juicing." The second would be making a smoothie or blended drink? This would be "better"?

Yes, if you're blending it it's typically called a smoothie. I don't believe my statement identified either as "better" or "worse," I was simply answering your question as to what the difference was.
  • pondee629
    Options
    " I don't believe my statement identified either as "better" or "worse" No you didn't. I was asking for an opinion.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    " I don't believe my statement identified either as "better" or "worse" No you didn't. I was asking for an opinion.

I, personally, would prefer to have the fiber. I also enjoy the taste and texture of a smoothie much more than I enjoy juice. They're more satisfying to me.

Someone else might have a reason to minimize their fiber intake or they may be getting sufficient fiber elsewhere, so juice would be a better choice for them. And my preferences for taste and texture would be meaningless for anyone else, it's a totally subjective way to evaluate a food.

Like anything, I think it depends on your goals and tastes.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Regarding smoothies (or whatever you want to call blended drinks using the whole fruit), it's no different than eating the fruit. If you enjoy smoothies, that's fine (as at least you're getting the fibre from the fruit) but it's worth bearing in mind that when you blend fruit up to drink like that you often end up eating a lot more of it than you would otherwise. I've seen recipes with a banana, a cup or two of berries, etc etc all in one drink, whereas I wouldn't normally sit down and eat that much fruit at once (especially when combined, as many people do, with yogurt, protein powder, nut butters, etc - just too many calories for a drink for me personally.) But if you're logging and tracking it and it fits your calories and macros, go for it.

Smoothies do seem to be good for people who don't like green vegetables, though, as it's a good way to include a serving of spinach or whatever without much change to the taste.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Don't know that there's a good way to account for removing the pulp from your juice. Personally, I'd log the entire fruit/veg that you put in. You'll slightly overestimate the calories, although likely not by much. But, you'll have to keep in mind that your fiber count will be rather overstated as well.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Regarding smoothies (or whatever you want to call blended drinks using the whole fruit), it's no different than eating the fruit. If you enjoy smoothies, that's fine (as at least you're getting the fibre from the fruit) but it's worth bearing in mind that when you blend fruit up to drink like that you often end up eating a lot more of it than you would otherwise. I've seen recipes with a banana, a cup or two of berries, etc etc all in one drink, whereas I wouldn't normally sit down and eat that much fruit at once (especially when combined, as many people do, with yogurt, protein powder, nut butters, etc - just too many calories for a drink for me personally.) But if you're logging and tracking it and it fits your calories and macros, go for it.

Smoothies do seem to be good for people who don't like green vegetables, though, as it's a good way to include a serving of spinach or whatever without much change to the taste.

This is an excellent point. Yesterday I blended up an orange, an apple, a mango, and half a banana for a smoothie. I'd probably never eat that much whole fruit in a sitting, but I ate this smoothie in about fifteen minutes. Which was fine for yesterday (it was after a long run), but not so great if you aren't accounting for it in some way.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

This is an excellent point. Yesterday I blended up an orange, an apple, a mango, and half a banana for a smoothie. I'd probably never eat that much whole fruit in a sitting, but I ate this smoothie in about fifteen minutes. Which was fine for yesterday (it was after a long run), but not so great if you aren't accounting for it in some way.

Exactly. I'd consider them more of a meal replacement than a meal addition in most cases.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I juiced for 3 days once. At the end, I thought "wow, it's pretty cool that I finished a juice cleanse!" and "I would never in my life do that again!" And that was a cleanse where you ate a salad in the evening. Honestly I don't think juicing is very beneficial for overall health, but I'm not an expert.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I juiced for 3 days once. At the end, I thought "wow, it's pretty cool that I finished a juice cleanse!" and "I would never in my life do that again!" And that was a cleanse where you ate a salad in the evening. Honestly I don't think juicing is very beneficial for overall health, but I'm not an expert.

But you are!! I did the same thing and was driving my car in which I nearly passed out. When I got home I binged like no other. I, too, will not do it again.
  • run4fun89
    Options
    We are using them as meal replacements but we are also keeping the pulp to use for things like in our veggie meatball etc. We still get 100% fiber. We're just trying to start getting more veggies in our diet. And we are in such a hurry for those.two meals that it's usually fast food or processed meals. :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've juiced, but getting that big a sugar hit with no fiber, fat, or protein gives me a headache or makes me feel sick, depending on the food being juiced.

Now I make smoothies with whole fruit, plus protein powder, and some form of fat.