Difference in calories on treadmill and MFP?

Options
So I just ran 5 miles in 48:54 at the gym on the treadmill. The treadmill told me I burned 600 calories (including a one-minute cool-down walk). I put 50 minutes of running at 10 minute pace in MFP, and it says 500. I don't understand the discrepency. The treadmill didn't ask me for my weight or anything, so it must be just estimating, right? Which one should I go by?

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    So I just ran 5 miles in 48:54 at the gym on the treadmill. The treadmill told me I burned 600 calories (including a one-minute cool-down walk). I put 50 minutes of running at 10 minute pace in MFP, and it says 500. I don't understand the discrepency. The treadmill didn't ask me for my weight or anything, so it must be just estimating, right? Which one should I go by?
  • jessbblonde
    jessbblonde Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    go by the machine's numbers, you may vary in the speed you go, faster and slower and the machine keeps that in account for cal burned.10501.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks. I ran at speed 6 (a steady 10 minute mile) for the first four miles and the last mile I increased my speed each .25 interval until I finished up at speed 7.

But I've found that even if I run an even 10 minute pace for three miles in 30 minutes, then come home and log the exact same thing on MFP, MFP will tell me a different number (lower) than the treadmill or my Garmin. I know my Garmin should be accurate because it knows my weight, age, gender, etc. And sometimes I use the heart rate monitor which I think is the most accurate way to get calories. But I'm not sure about the treadmill.
  • lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    I DISAGREE...I WOULDNT GO BY THE MACHINE IF IT DIDNT ASK FOR YOUR AGE/WEIGHT. THAT MAKES A HUUUUUGE IMPACT ON THE CALORIES BURNED, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE HEAVIER (NOT THAT YOU ARE :happy: ) MFP, RATES YOUR CALORIES BURNED BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. JUST A THOUGHT.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    I see your point.

I always go by MFP because I would have to inflate the time or speed for it to up my calories; plus I think it's better to be on the safe side and assume I burned a hundred less calories than a hundred more.

I just find it really strange; does this happen to anyone else?
  • lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    YEAH 4 SURE...YOU DONT WANT TO EAT AN EXTRA 100 HUH!?!?! YEAH I HAVE NOTICED THE SAME, BUT I DONT HAVE A HRM SO I GUESSTIMATE THE BEST POSSIBLE YA KNOW?!?! ITS HARD TO HIT EVERYTHING RIGHT ON THE NOSE...MAYBE I WOULD BE MORE SUCCESFUL IF I PUT FORTH THAT EFFORT, BUT I AM CONTENT WHERE I AM --- FOR NOW ANYWAYS :laugh:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My HRM calories and MFP calories are usually only off by about 10 calories or less.