Difference in calories on treadmill and MFP?

So I just ran 5 miles in 48:54 at the gym on the treadmill. The treadmill told me I burned 600 calories (including a one-minute cool-down walk). I put 50 minutes of running at 10 minute pace in MFP, and it says 500. I don't understand the discrepency. The treadmill didn't ask me for my weight or anything, so it must be just estimating, right? Which one should I go by?

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    So I just ran 5 miles in 48:54 at the gym on the treadmill. The treadmill told me I burned 600 calories (including a one-minute cool-down walk). I put 50 minutes of running at 10 minute pace in MFP, and it says 500. I don't understand the discrepency. The treadmill didn't ask me for my weight or anything, so it must be just estimating, right? Which one should I go by?
  • jessbblonde
    jessbblonde Posts: 19 Member
    go by the machine's numbers, you may vary in the speed you go, faster and slower and the machine keeps that in account for cal burned.10501.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • neeterskeeter
    Thanks. I ran at speed 6 (a steady 10 minute mile) for the first four miles and the last mile I increased my speed each .25 interval until I finished up at speed 7.

But I've found that even if I run an even 10 minute pace for three miles in 30 minutes, then come home and log the exact same thing on MFP, MFP will tell me a different number (lower) than the treadmill or my Garmin. I know my Garmin should be accurate because it knows my weight, age, gender, etc. And sometimes I use the heart rate monitor which I think is the most accurate way to get calories. But I'm not sure about the treadmill.
  • I DISAGREE...I WOULDNT GO BY THE MACHINE IF IT DIDNT ASK FOR YOUR AGE/WEIGHT. THAT MAKES A HUUUUUGE IMPACT ON THE CALORIES BURNED, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE HEAVIER (NOT THAT YOU ARE :happy: ) MFP, RATES YOUR CALORIES BURNED BASED ON YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION. JUST A THOUGHT.
  • neeterskeeter
    I see your point.

I always go by MFP because I would have to inflate the time or speed for it to up my calories; plus I think it's better to be on the safe side and assume I burned a hundred less calories than a hundred more.

I just find it really strange; does this happen to anyone else?
  • YEAH 4 SURE...YOU DONT WANT TO EAT AN EXTRA 100 HUH!?!?! YEAH I HAVE NOTICED THE SAME, BUT I DONT HAVE A HRM SO I GUESSTIMATE THE BEST POSSIBLE YA KNOW?!?! ITS HARD TO HIT EVERYTHING RIGHT ON THE NOSE...MAYBE I WOULD BE MORE SUCCESFUL IF I PUT FORTH THAT EFFORT, BUT I AM CONTENT WHERE I AM --- FOR NOW ANYWAYS :laugh:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    My HRM calories and MFP calories are usually only off by about 10 calories or less.