How do you take your coffee?

Options

Replies

• MeadowsBing
    MeadowsBing Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only drink black coffee or fruit tea at home and skinny latte from Costa maybe once a month
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Used to be able to get coffee - freshly roasted beans, fresh off the boat. It would have been sacrilegious to put anything in it! The taste of that coffee was almost sweet on its own. Now, having moved almost an entire continent away from that luxury - no bean ships coming in from South America, no roasting houses on the Embarcadero, no intoxicating fragrance of fresh beans roasting - *sigh*. I tried to drink the dross that is called coffee in most of the country but... nope. Just can't do it. It is bitter and lacks the sweet aftertaste of "real" coffee. For a while, I tried loading it down with sugar and French Vanilla Coffeemate. Then I switched to a 'dash' of Bailey's Irish Cream. (Now THAT is good but you've got to put in so much Bailey's to mask the flavor of the bad coffee Why bother with the coffee!) I just gave up on even trying to find good coffee anymore... with the exception of chugging a shot of Turkish in the morning every now and then when summer comes. (One shot glass of that stuff at six a.m. is like drinking five cups of (heavily sugared) coffee! But it'll get you going for the day.) :D

These days, I am mostly a "water baby". And, with that, I do like MIO Orange Vanilla flavoring. And, as the winter weather comes on, I start drinking more and more herbal tea. (My latest infatuation is Kroger's Private Selection Sweet Cinnamon Herbal Spice Tea. It's so sweet, it really doesn't need much sugar at all.) Though I am seriously considering buying coffee beans, green and frozen, and start roasting my own!

And, when it comes to sugar? NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS! Cannot do the chemicals. Try to eliminate them from my diet - hence my body - as much as possible. I'd rather have a 25 calorie rounded teaspoon of real sugar and forego a bite of bread (which I also make fresh!) or something than dump a lot of extra chemicals into my system.

That's just me, though. I figure if I work so hard to get and keep my body in good, healthy condition, why would I want to contaminate it with a bunch of chemicals if I don't have to?

Where are you finding Mio Orange Vanilla without artificial sweetners?
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Whole milk or half and half. Despite my best intentions, my half and half usually winds up in my yogurt makers instead of in my coffee cup.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee black for as long as I can remember. That's just how my family always drank it, so it's how I drink it. I've also always preferred dark roasted coffees. Right now, I'm loving an Italian roasted Brazilian coffee from Nossa Familia.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Used to be able to get coffee - freshly roasted beans, fresh off the boat. It would have been sacrilegious to put anything in it! The taste of that coffee was almost sweet on its own. Now, having moved almost an entire continent away from that luxury - no bean ships coming in from South America, no roasting houses on the Embarcadero, no intoxicating fragrance of fresh beans roasting - *sigh*. I tried to drink the dross that is called coffee in most of the country but... nope. Just can't do it. It is bitter and lacks the sweet aftertaste of "real" coffee. For a while, I tried loading it down with sugar and French Vanilla Coffeemate. Then I switched to a 'dash' of Bailey's Irish Cream. (Now THAT is good but you've got to put in so much Bailey's to mask the flavor of the bad coffee Why bother with the coffee!) I just gave up on even trying to find good coffee anymore... with the exception of chugging a shot of Turkish in the morning every now and then when summer comes. (One shot glass of that stuff at six a.m. is like drinking five cups of (heavily sugared) coffee! But it'll get you going for the day.) :D

These days, I am mostly a "water baby". And, with that, I do like MIO Orange Vanilla flavoring. And, as the winter weather comes on, I start drinking more and more herbal tea. (My latest infatuation is Kroger's Private Selection Sweet Cinnamon Herbal Spice Tea. It's so sweet, it really doesn't need much sugar at all.) Though I am seriously considering buying coffee beans, green and frozen, and start roasting my own!

And, when it comes to sugar? NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS! Cannot do the chemicals. Try to eliminate them from my diet - hence my body - as much as possible. I'd rather have a 25 calorie rounded teaspoon of real sugar and forego a bite of bread (which I also make fresh!) or something than dump a lot of extra chemicals into my system.

That's just me, though. I figure if I work so hard to get and keep my body in good, healthy condition, why would I want to contaminate it with a bunch of chemicals if I don't have to?

I came to ask the same question. So funny.

And, of course, because the "c" word got invoked...

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

Also, I drink my coffee black.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

No. That's my one concession to "the dark side"; although, technically, the sweetening agents in MIO are natural sweeteners*. But I can't drink straight water (Where I live, it tastes like sewer water if you try to drink it straight!) and half the bottled waters on the market taste like oil and the other half taste like chemicals.

Propyleneglycol is "natural" though it is not actually a sweetener but only mimics the sweet sensation in your tastebuds so... it's an artificial sweetener. And that, as I said, is my one concession to the dark side. =|
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    black on weekdays, creamer on weekends
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I came to ask the same question. So funny.

And, of course, because the "c" word got invoked...

we-love-chemicals-620-450x636.jpg

Also, I drink my coffee black.

YES! Better living through chemistry. (Few people recognize that EVERYTHING IS chemicals! So, thank you.)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I take my coffee black, from coffee bushes selected personally by the Most Interesting Man in the World. The raw coffee cherries are consumed by unicorns and the beans are then picked by hand from the unicorn droppings to be selected and dried.

The green beans are then roasted in an mithril oven heated by the fires of Mount Doom, inscribed with the 1000 sacred names of Juan Valdez in the ancient tongue. The roasted beans are then ground by my personal hobbit manservant in a vessel forged by the dwarven kings.

The water is melted from the snows of Narnia, and the coffee is brewed in the traditional method by a Japanese barista who has studied under his master for 30 years in the sublime art of heating the coffee water. The brewed coffee is served in a goblet made from dragon claw and served on a crystal platter.

With a blueberry scone.

You win.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I add two tablespoons of half and half to my coffee thermos in the morning. Working on getting to black I think. This is pretty close. I cut sweeteners a while ago!
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I gave up my fru fru creamer yesterday. I'm saving over 200 kcal a day now. Just a splash of almond milk or 2% milk, just depends on what is in the house. I will still get my fun coffees once in a while, but my daily coffe is headed towards black.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    With lots of cream and sugar. My coffee wasn't something I was willing to mess with; the calories are worth it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    americano with about 100g of whole milk, sometimes add cinnamon and/or cumin
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How do I take my coffee??

By force, if necessary.
  • zoonaferoza2015
    zoonaferoza2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With a dash of semi skimmed milk and SALT.... Yes..try it...
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    with half and half
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    With unsweetened almond milk. I log 2 oz, so it's 8 calories. I used to be a sugar user with so much in it that I would constantly have to swirl the cup so it wouldn't all settle on the bottom.

I do find, since starting this weight loss journey, that I crave a second cup each day. Not in a caffeine headache/withdrawal way, I just want more.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How do I take my coffee??

By force, if necessary.

When coffee is outlawed, only outlaws will have coffee.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    With a dash of semi skimmed milk and SALT.... Yes..try it...

I always add salt to my coffee grounds when I brew them. It definitely adds something to it. Coffee tastes flat to me without it.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    With two tbsps of half'n'half. Best 45 calories on the planet.