Any one changing to a mostly vegetarian diet?

Options
I have been changing my diet over the last year to a mostly lacto ovo vegetarian diet. I am feeling much healthier in general.

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did in college because dorm food is nasty, lol.

But seriously, I never LOVED meat like some people, and I don't miss it.

Like you, I do eat dairy and eggs, so getting protein isn't an issue. The main thing that has changed for me over ten years is that at first I did eat quite a bit of fake meat. Partially because I have learned to cook more now, partially because it is more expensive, and partially because we try not to eat much processed food, I now tend to make stuff like veggie burgers from scratch, and eat more straight beans/lentils/etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not me
  • rhyslud
    rhyslud Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Now nearly vegetarian. It's a big switch for me. I've been trying lackadaisical paleo. But my clothes were all shrinking!

I started noticing that most vegans I know are pretty lean.

I know the environmental effects of meat and the cruelty of commercial meat producers.
    Then the kicker was a really bad foot pain that doctor said wasn't obviously but possibly gout.

So I have moved to a vegetarian diet. Striving to minimize grains (and focus on whole grains) and forgo most dairy other than plain organic notfat yogurt.

Past two weeks I had small amunts of chicken twice and fish once and crab once. Otherwise playing with veggies and beans and quinoa.

Feeling better overall.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started the month long vegan challenge on 1 November. 3 weeks in I am eating more, and lost 6 lbs. No exercise, literally hibernated in my apartment because the weathers so bad! I am so shocked I have lost anything at all....but yeah, I feel great, full of energy :)

I have not been religiously logging, but when I have I have logged been way over my calories too....
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nope. Meats are the most nutritionally dense foods out there and since they are all protein and fat, they are quite filling too.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I've never been a meat lover but grew up on it. I gave up meat 3 years ago. I don't miss it. I have lots of food issues so try to avoid dairy, eggs, gluten, walnuts, sunflower seeds and hazlenuts. I'm about to go through FODMAPS elimination diet to find out what other foods cause my digestive problems. But not eating meat has been great for making me feel better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rhyslud wrote: »
    Now nearly vegetarian. It's a big switch for me. I've been trying lackadaisical paleo. But my clothes were all shrinking!

I started noticing that most vegans I know are pretty lean.

Most vegans I know are quite fit too. But based on the vegans and vegetarians I know (including one vegan who just recently switched from veganism), it has more to do with being generally into a very healthful lifestyle and doing lots of exercise (largely outdoorsy stuff, lots of biking) and not being able to eat lots of treat-like things due to no butter or cream or eggs or cheese. My vegetarian friends are no thinner than the rest of my circle on average.

Thus, I doubt it's the meat.

This is consistent with my own experience, as I ate vegetarian a lot when gaining weight and typically went vegetarian all Lent and never lost weight. Once I went entirely plant-based for Lent, though, and did lose weight without meaning to. I personally could not keep up that plant-based diet without a serious ethical commitment, however, which I don't have (although I respect those who do, despite not agreeing, as I think one can get eggs and dairy without using the industrial mega farming system if that's an issue and I don't think it's inherently cruel to raise chickens for eggs or cows for milk -- this is just stating my view for full disclosure, not trying to argue).

That said, although for me cutting out meat would make reducing calories while meeting my other goals more challenging, I definitely understand people doing it for ethical reasons. It's something I've given serious thought to.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't get doing it to diet. Most vegetarians eat that way for ethical reasons.

Some of us eat that way because we don't like meat. I'm in the not liking meat camp.

I'm speaking as an ovo-lacto vegetarian, mind.

You can eat too many calories and make bad food choices no matter what you call yourself.

However, if you're happy eating this way, and paying attention to your nutrition, go for it.
  • bbgun714
    bbgun714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm 100% vegan, and it's the best feeling in the world. I have no problem getting protein, even when I'm lazy and have a day where I only eat fruit and baked potatoes my protein still reaches the limit. My skin is way clearer, I have a ton of energy without drinking coffee or tea, and my asthma has actually gotten better. Choosing not to eat meat is great, but eliminating dairy and eggs is even better for you. If you have any questions, please reply!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    bbgun714 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm 100% vegan, and it's the best feeling in the world. I have no problem getting protein, even when I'm lazy and have a day where I only eat fruit and baked potatoes my protein still reaches the limit. My skin is way clearer, I have a ton of energy without drinking coffee or tea, and my asthma has actually gotten better. Choosing not to eat meat is great, but eliminating dairy and eggs is even better for you. If you have any questions, please reply!

I have no problem with someone choosing to eat a vegan lifestyle...but really?? to the bolded??

What is your protein goal - like 10g per day?

I mean you'd have to eat like 15 baked potatoes, just to get to the bare minimum protein goal to optimally sustain body functions
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Are you hitting MFP's default protein goal on fruit and baked potatoes or did you custom set your goal? I have been vegan for 9 years and I do believe it's totally possible to meet protein needs without animal products. But I'm not sure how you're hitting the default goal on fruit and baked potatoes.
  • bbgun714
    bbgun714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Are you hitting MFP's default protein goal on fruit and baked potatoes or did you custom set your goal? I have been vegan for 9 years and I do believe it's totally possible to meet protein needs without animal products. But I'm not sure how you're hitting the default goal on fruit and baked potatoes.

You'd be surprised, everything has protein.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Yes..trace amounts. But certainly not enough to meet any sort of minimum required amount by eating only fruits and baked potatoes...unless you're eating a massive quantity of them as I said
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Yes..trace amounts. But certainly not enough to meet any sort of minimum required amount by eating only fruits and baked potatoes...unless you're eating a massive quantity of them as I said

Not to mention the fact that vegetable sources of protein are less bioavailable than animal sources.

And what's so bad about dairy and eggs?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Everything has protein, but that doesn't mean that eating fruit and baked potatoes will put you at your protein goal. Again, are you using the default goal for protein?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

Everything has protein, but that doesn't mean that eating fruit and baked potatoes will put you at your protein goal. Again, are you using the default goal for protein?

I'm guessing the secret is loaded baked potatoes with cheese and vegetarian chili (legumes!) and fruit topped with lots of greek yogurt.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I'm guessing the secret is loaded baked potatoes with cheese and vegetarian chili (legumes!) and fruit topped with lots of greek yogurt.

Cheese & greek yogurt would not be vegan though
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

I eat meat almost daily, and still have trouble reaching my protein goals each day....I need to hang with you for a week!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    Ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years . . . gained weight that way, lost weight that way. Shrug.

I will say that a fair fraction of omnivores whose diaries I see don't eat enough veggies & fruit, if you believe the 5-9 servings/day rule, and a fair fraction of veg people (of all sub-types) don't get enough protein if you believe the roughly 0.6-0.8g/lb rule.