What do you think is the hardest part about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eating within my calorie goals. I'm constantly going over. I just can't stop eating. It's so difficult.
  • lmrudnick
    lmrudnick Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Really slow progress. I start to question my effort. Is it something I can control or not?

I will second this. Slow progress. Seeing no end in sight.

I agree.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Being bombarded by ads wherever you look showing junk food. Radio, tv, news paper, bill boards. No wonder this country is so over weight. Me included.. FOR NOW!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    As soon as I wrapped my head around the idea that there is no end and became fine with that then it became easy. When I was thinking this was just a diet that i had to do for a certain amount of time it was a struggle. As soon as I accepted that this is just how I'm going to eat from now on for the rest of my life then it became easy. I've lost 70 pound since April and it's been pretty easy. It's all just a mental game.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel like it was so easy I am upset I didn't do it earlier. Other days, not so much. The big guy inside me never truly goes away, and it takes focus to make better choices. Its that never ending battle that can get to you at times :neutral:
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The internal work that comes with losing weight.
    This last time, I didn't screw around. I got serious with myself about why I had quit in the past, and what I was afraid of. I had some seriously upsetting come to jesus talks with myself about this deep set fear of people seeing me actually TRY at something, rather than just being naturally good at it already. Or trying and failing. Failing at weight loss sounded so public, like the big elephant in the room. "oh look, she looked so good last month, it seems she's given up" etc etc. Weight loss was scary because I didn't want people to look at me trying, because that meant that I had accepted that there was an obvious problem I had to fix (and of course, mind-reading other people on what they thought about me)

I was raised by a mom who had abusive parents, and she grew up feeling like the only love she was worth was equal to what she could contribute. It rubbed off on me a little bit. I became an overachieving weirdo at intellectual and artistic things, but for a long time anything to do with taking care of myself was trivial and selfish. Or worse, "stereotypical".

After a lot of work, a lot of struggle, and a lot of tears, I got to a place where I felt it was ok to be... i dont know. Softer. Vulnerable. And that's where I am now.

This was by far the most important and the hardest part of losing weight. And I seriously believe it's the biggest reason i've lost more this time than I ever have before. weighing food, working out, measuring, i've done all that before. I know how to do that. But this time my frame of mind is totally different. I'm not quick to give up if "life happens" anymore, and I actually want this, and am willing and eager to do the work required, and not try to hide or or fear what people think.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I really struggled when I got down below 135. I went kicking and screaming to 130 and literally went almost nuts trying to get to 125. I never did. I got stuck on a number and was comparing myself to other women my height, but my body composition was not the same as many of them. Lifting heavy, being relatively lean, and trying to live in a deficit was torture.

Above 135 it was fine though
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The time was hard for me at first too, and still sometimes is. I think about this quote every time I get down about it. l22b0x9p45lc.jpg
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Convincing myself that I deserve to be healthy and not seeing a "fat slob" when I look in the mirror.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Watching the food network without wanting to eat everything I see!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    Watching the food network without wanting to eat everything I see!

I very oddly find that watching it satisfies something even if I don't eat any of it.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good Luck.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    huango wrote: »
    One of the hardest thing for me is not feeling like I'm missing out on all the food I could have.

Yes, I understand moderation, but at my height of 4'11", my body doesn't need a lot of calories.
    So outside of lean protein and veggies, I don't have a lot of room to allow for other food.

Yes. I'm 5'0", so I totally get this. I always wish I was taller so I could have more calories and still be in a deficit. I started at 1,200, but I felt hungry all the time, so I bumped it up to 1,400 and I'm still losing.
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    What do you think is the hardest part about losing weight?

Maintaining it.

This.

I lost 60 lbs. 2 years ago and I managed to maintain for about 6 months. I started slipping and slowly gained 75 lbs back. I know why I gained it back though and it was not all food related. I went on prednisone for joint pain about 6 months after I started maintenance and quickly gained 20lbs in the 2 months I was on it. That derailed me and I started eating whatever I wanted again. Here I am 2 years later starting over.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Having patience.
  • Charlene72385
    Charlene72385 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not having the freedom to "just eat what I want". I have to analyze it, worry about it, and at times, say no to it if it doesn't work.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    waiting for the loss
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good Luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Staying consistent when it seems like my life is a constant roller coaster.
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hardest part for me was people attacking me for my success and then trying to have mods help me but shut me out completely then when I tell someone that they have no right to tell others if they can be proud I get hit with a warning. It makes me want to go to comfort foods but I try to pull through it and turn the negativity into a positive.