@6 weeks of diet & exercise. No weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• trinsgirl
    trinsgirl Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - is that you in the profile picture? If yes, why do you want to lose 22 pounds????

Yes that is me in the profile picture from 2 years ago at 121 lbs which is my goal weight to get back to that. And yes I look awesome in that picture so no body image issues here. In fact I'm still pretty hot but just 22lbs heavier... So not overweight just a little soft ;)

Since that picture I went back to school to do my MBA while working full time and in addition to getting the credential I also started smoking again and gained 22lbs. Now that I am done I quit smoking and I want to loose the weight so I am tracking all my food and exercising ( I write everything down. Even if I just eat a little piece of chocolate ;). Based on some of the advice I have made an appointment with my GP. I used to have a thyroid issue so it's worth getting that checked out. My weight goals are reasonable and within a healthy range.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    trinsgirl wrote: »
    OP - is that you in the profile picture? If yes, why do you want to lose 22 pounds????

OP, we are trying to help. Ndj's question is a valid one.
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would consider challenging your body with a new exercise. Along with the other suggestions.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes that is me in the profile picture from 2 years ago at 121 lbs which is my goal weight to get back to that. And yes I look awesome in that picture so no body image issues here. In fact I'm still pretty hot but just 22lbs heavier... So not overweight just a little soft ;)

Since that picture I went back to school to do my MBA while working full time and in addition to getting the credential I also started smoking again and gained 22lbs. Now that I am done I quit smoking and I want to loose the weight so I am tracking all my food and exercising ( I write everything down. Even if I just eat a little piece of chocolate ;). Based on some of the advice I have made an appointment with my GP. I used to have a thyroid issue so it's worth getting that checked out. My weight goals are reasonable and within a healthy range.

Thanks for weighing in! <pun intended ;) >

Yes, definitely get some blood work done to check your current thyroid function levels. If you're hypothyroid, your rate of weight loss will normalize once you are properly medicated to compensate for its under-activity, provided, of course, that you remain in an appropriate caloric deficit.
  • trinsgirl
    trinsgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) Looks like I need to start weighing my food just in case the calories are off. This is always hard for me because I make everything from scratch so there isn't ever calorie information on a fruit/veggie/steak and sometimes the info on MFP varies (plus it is a lot of work).

I will also add more weight lifting workouts to my exercise routine to change things up. The workouts I do at the gym tend to be whole body workouts but they use your own body weight for weight bearing exercises rather than weights (e.g. pushups, squats, lunges). I can add some kettle bell workouts which are also available at my gym.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) Looks like I need to start weighing my food just in case the calories are off. This is always hard for me because I make everything from scratch so there isn't ever calorie information on a fruit/veggie/steak and sometimes the info on MFP varies (plus it is a lot of work).

I will also add more weight lifting workouts to my exercise routine to change things up. The workouts I do at the gym tend to be whole body workouts but they use your own body weight for weight bearing exercises rather than weights (e.g. pushups, squats, lunges). I can add some kettle bell workouts which are also available at my gym.

I would suggest a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You can make your own entries into the database and make your own recipes. I do that often. My diary's open, you can take a look if that's helpful. I often cook in bulk as it's more convenient. (I have a giant batch of quinoa sitting in my fridge now.) There's always nutritional info on packaging. And the results are worth it--accurate calories in.

Echoing @ndj1979 on the heavy lifting. Can you afford a couple sessions with a trainer to get you started? That way you learn safe and proper form. Safety is key to prevent injury. And proper form is necessary to reap the benefits of the exercise. Lifting while eating at a deficit will help you preserve lean body mass.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @trinsgirl a year ago I started a new way of eating to manage my pain. The pain dropped like a rock. I lost an inch in at the waist and my fat face during the first six weeks BUT did not lose even one pound on the scales. I have no idea how I was losing inches of fat without any weight loss. The main difference I had stopped eating/drinking all forms of processed foods. During week 7-8 I dropped 10 pounds and it scared me. Over the last year my health is much improved with about 25 pounds of weight loss and the ability to walk any distance and be able to get in and out of vehicles, movie seats, etc unaided.

To have stopped smoking and not gained weight is the first success factor that I see in your post. When we eat/live for better health the results may come slow as our systems heal but the results will come.

Keep up the good work. I do wish I had known to change my eating lifestyle 40 years earlier and had acted on that info.

Welcome to the MFP forums. Best of success.