WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Giving thanks (what the sign says). Happy gobble to all us u from us and the kids, left to right- bullwinkle, Floyd and the squirt, yogi
    0e9688n4vm9n.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Options
    grandmallie - i am so sorry for what your daughter is putting on you. i too blame my mom for being a bad mom (they divorced when i was 3 and i was the youngest of 7, oldest was 13) HOWEVER, I DON'T blame her for how my life turned out good or bad, that was ALL ME, my decision, my life after i left home. she's young still, she doesn't have anyone to trash and you're first in line. you are i have no doubt are an awesome mom and person. love u
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    thanks Pip~ love you too xoxoxo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    well all in all we had a lovely dinner, way to much food, but that is always the case, made doggy bags to send home..DB has the stomach bug and stayed home, so it was my son,my dad,Tom,myself and DSIL and her mom Faith... and we had a lovely time..
    I am physically and emotionally spent tonight,but will get a good nights sleep and head off early tomorrow morning for the Cape of Cod lol, i will breath in the sea air, visit with my elderly friends and just spend time relaxing..
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Have a great time at Cape of Cod. Hope everyone really enjoyed their time with you.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :) I got a text early this morning from my friend who was flying back from Texas today (to avoid spending the holiday in family drama) that she had gotten an early flight and would be in Seattle before 10 AM so we invited her to have dinner with us about noon and watch a movie together. She was with us last year for Thanksgiving and it was great to have her back again this year. :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Allison, I am so sorry that your daughter is lashing out at you. She is still young, feeling helpless it seems, so you are an easy target. The best thing to do is give her space.

Well, we had a good day. My brother and his two youngest kids came, but his wife went to her mother's. My father is really getting too frail for these things and Mama didn't feel well today at all. She said her back was hurting. I could tell she was under the weather because she was content to sit and visit with the kids and let me do all the work. That is not like her at all. But overall, it was a great day. The weather was perfect and the kids played out on the swings and in the sandbox. My pepperoni and cracker turkey looked almost as good as the one on Pinterest. I'll post mine and a family snapshot.

bmww41ba9x7r.jpeg
    b7k9b548ne55.jpeg
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pip- Love the picture of your kids. I am thankful for you and your family! (((hugs)))

drkatiebug- Great job on the turkey platter! Nice picture of everyone!

The community centers Thanksgiving feast was wonderful! I wasn't specific I am afraid. I didn't donate my time volunteering but we went for the grub. I had a moist slice of turkey, a nice slice of ham, some mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans and cinnamon yams. We sat with a couple that comes to the senior luncheons so at one point my husband looked at me smiling and said, "more eating less talking". I am such a social butterfly, I just made a yummy sound and continued chatting. I eat up conversation as much as eating up actual food. He wasn't being mean or anything, he just knew I was in "my element"...."my social T-(talking) zone". We then went out to the Hammond Marina and watched the rough waters of the Columbia River talked, caught up, and cuddled. Rec'd a phone call from elder son, he is well and going to a friend's home for Thanksgiving this evening. He belongs to a car club, so it was actually the guy that had bought his old car from him! He sounded good, happy and he stated that he might be able to get some leave time during the holidays.
    Everyone......you are much thought about and cared about by this old lady!

Becca
    Oregon
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Allison, if her wonderful father is the one that gave her the mean and hurtful gene, he really did it up right, didn’t he. I’m soooooo sorry that she has chosen to hurt you so. (((((Hugs)))))

Carol, I just hope you have a good time with the gargoyle tonight and that he doesn’t weigh 400. Just because you might not regain full range of motion, doesn’t mean you won’t get 95-99%. You might never notice the difference. I’ve been wanting to ask, how are you feeling? Do you still experience pain in the shoulder? I hope you are feeling good. (((Hugs)))

Chris, thank you for sharing the wonderful changes you have made and congrats. I remember when you tried to figure out how to work in the exercising. I’m so proud of you and glad that you are too. Keep up the great work.

Grits, gosh. I don’t even know what to say? Ah, Did you do Thanksgiving dinner today?

Sylvia, your day sounds great!!! Glad you got to enjoy.

Jane, Happy Thanksgiving to you. Hope you and family are all doing well. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, great outlook on what you got from less than perfect parents. You and Barbie are the best!

Vicki, good for you and all the ladies that have your Christmas shopping about finished. It is amazing to me at how fast some online orders arrive.

Pip, Happy Thanksgiving to you and Kirby and the kids. I love yogi’s sweater. (tee shirt?)

Allison, have a MARVELOUS time at the Cape!!!!

Barbie, what a nice surprise for you and your friend that she shared dinner and a movie. Watch out or it might become a tradition. jumpy.gif

DrKatie, yours does look as good as the one in the picture. (Turkey platter, that is.) Great job! Is that you in the picture?? If it is, you look younger and younger. Glad you had a good day.

Our dinner went well except I did something to my back this morning and every time I turned a certain way, I would get a sharp pain. Of course the later it got, after working in the kitchen all day, the worse it got. I just took a pain pill and hope I’ll be able to sleep. I am tired so don’t really think it will be a problem. The food was good but I was disappointed with my dressing. *should have stuck to StoveTop* LOL I nearly always make wonderful giblet gravy and this year was the exception. smiley-sad012.gif It didn’t turn out well at all and could/should have been the savior to the dressing. All the veggies were great and that’s what I ate the most of. I just hated that it wasn’t the best since I had company, but she’s a dear friend and raved about the food. The day turned out absolutely beautiful and I would have loved a walk after dinner, but between my back and my friend's hip it just wasn't going to happen. I love that I got to spend Thanksgiving with many of you in this way. Let's do it again next year!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Back row of the picture is my daughter, then me in the middle, then DH. Front is my son between my daughter's two kids. My son-in-law took the picture. My son is not married. Logan, my DGS on the right, is he one with autism that I made the turkey platter for. The only thing he ate was rolls, crackers from the platter, and milk. Then he had a sugar cookie for dessert. He is a fantastic kid, though. He will take a gummy vitamin daily and drinks at least one Pediasure per day to get his protein. They are having some success with getting him to try new foods at home, but a social situation like Thanksgiving is not the time to fight that battle.

Edited to add: oh, DJ, I was so taken with you telling me how young I looked that I totally missed the part about your back acting up. Take it easy for a day or two, and maybe you will be back to 100% soon.

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just checking in--ate way too much today and tried to honestly log it. I think It was my biggest calorie day since Valentine's Day. But for a Thanksgiving it could have been worse.
    Mellowing out with a bit of Eric Clapton before bedtime. Sounds like all of us survived the big day without killing any relatives--that is good!!! Night night!
    Betty
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just saw on the news that the average American consumes 4500 calories on Thanksgiving! One more thing I am thankful for today - that I am no longer an average American! 131544reaheg4vv1.gif
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    DJ - He wasn't a gargoyle not did he weigh 400 lbs!! He was just as sweet in person as he has been on the phone and better looking than his photo. To my shock, HE was nervous about meeting me. I'm sorry your back is acting up. A good muscle relaxer and good night's sleep will usually help get mine back in shape. As far as my arm, it feels pretty good except on PT days. I'm making a lot of progress still but the arm is very weak in addition to the range of motion limitations. As long as they keep me in PT, I will continue to have expectations of complete recovery.

I had a most awesome Thanksgiving today! My friend's family took me right in and loved on me like I was one of theirs. It was great fun even for my introverted self. My daughter came by at the end for a piece of pie and they gushed over her like crazy. I know it makes no real difference, but I was the only white face in the crowd until my daughter came in. Gwen has a wonderful family and I love her to pieces!

Now I am taking my sleepy over filled tummy to bed and best nobody wake me up in the morning!!

Carol in NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Heather, I love your list of what your criminally bad parents did give you. As I was reading it, Edith Piaf's song "I regret nothing" was on the radio, and I realized that was one thing my neglectful mom gave me- Edith Piaf (she was a big fan). There are other things, but that hit me at the moment.

The pain meds have really killed my appetite, and I was just limping around in the kitchen. So all I made was the turkey and mashed potatoes (red, with the skins on). I couldn't even manage to get them finished at the same time! So we had a "meal" of mashed potatoes and canned corn, then two hours later, ate some turkey. I just had a bit of each, no corn even. My son was missing our 'traditional Thanksgiving meal". When I had left their dad, when the three boys were young, they all hated the traditional foods since they were associated with a drunk and raging father. He would always spend thanksgiving day morning with his drinking buddies, be late for the meal and then criticize the kids constantly, and my cooking that wasn't like his mom's- it was actually far better I realize in hindsight. So our first thanksgiving alone, I said we were going to start a new tradition, what did they want? Homemade pizzas. So I made the dough and sauce, and they each made an individual pizza with the toppings they liked. The pizzas would be piled HIGH like a mountain, and be still goey dough in the middle since all that could not possibly cook, but they loved it! I might have to go back to that, and save the turkey for just another day.

Love to you all!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Carol, I think the fact that you were the only white face there may have contributed to the warmth. white culture is far deficit in warmth and caring and open expressions of it compared to many others- part of our Puritan heritage.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi all, all went well for big family t-day feast. Planning and cooking didnt overwhelm, the food disappeared and there were some real moments that i was enjoying myself. I suffer with anxiety at these things so i was very proud that i didnt overdo with wine and food. I allowed myself to feel anxious, i found some quiet time when i had to, and i did pretty well! Yay me, and oh yeah i started the day by jogging. Big big difference from last year's holiday, hooray for progress! Karen from ny
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have had a wonderful day. It is so nice to be the one who owns the home and everyone comes in and cooks a wonderful meal. I did make my traditional corn casserole, sweet potatoes and marshmallows. Well no, my daughter made them and she didn't fix them the exact way and even my sister whispered to me if i noticed the potatoes were a little off. Then the same sister and BIL asked me if I could make Watergate salad. My sister always makes a good fruit salad, it's like a Waldorf thing. But my other daughter and and my sister's daughter in law put it all together. They have it so well organized. When they are done we just form a human chain to take it all downstairs to my Mom's old antique table and then we sit at 8 ft folding tables and chairs.

And Barbie. It was just 12 people for Thanksgiving. It's 33 for Christmas. It is to much for me to have at my house. Several years ago we rented a building our local Baptist association. It has a big kitchen, 2 stoves!!!! Then we will come back and have our gift exchange at our house. I like it that the gift giving is in the warmth of a home, not a sterile building. We the gift giving there that year also and as soon as people opened gifts, some of them left. Here, everyone stays all afternoon, watch the kids play, display their new clothes they got, maybe give a recital whether music or dance. If some want to watch a game they can go upstairs. It is just so much more personal. We have an electric fireplace and we have that turned on. It's to hot with 33 people that we jsut turn the 'fire' hologram on, not the blower.

I was so pleased. Michelle has been divorced now for about 4 years and has been dating a guy now for about a year. We are a noisy family, happy noise but noisy. This guy is from a small family and even though there are several family members here i town they may not be there, well just because. So he isn't used to us. Plus my husband even though he says he is not prejudiced at all of blacks, he really is. And this guy is the blackest guy I have ever seen. But he is a sweetie and a sense of humor. So he came today! Was so glad to have him. He ate the very traditional food, turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans, none of the things that are particular to our family. But that's OK.

I put all my afternoon and only meal in my diary, almost 1300 calories! For a bedtime snack I ate a piece of my 35 calorie bread with a little Kraft Miracle Whip lite and a small piece of turkey. So I wasn't real bad, just not real good.

Michele, I know you do some crafts, haven't heard whether you cross stitch or not. I made a tree skirt for my sister. Most craft stores sell prequilted material. So I got a pretty red piece, folded it on half, drew a circle and then a smaller circle to make my hole to go around the tree, Well that's where I cut it also . But I found several real nice nativity scenes I was able to evenly place around the skirt and then a verse about the star. I like to cross stitch on fabric. I can't think of the fabric you baste on your fabric, do the stitching, then you spray water on the stuff and it them pulls out strand by strand. All that is left is your pattern you have done.

Allison, just hold us all close to your heart and try to block your daughters angry and hurtful words out. Was she going through a bad time today and some bad feeling from the past came into her mind and the only way she could get rid of the hurt was to hurt some one else.

This evening we gave Ellie's birthday present to her. It was 'introduction to gears' from the k'nex sets. Her and her dad immediately picked out which one of the 3 things they could make with this particular set. So they got it made. It didn't call for a motor although many of the sets do call for a motor. So I asked Ellie is she could connect the motor, she fond where it looked like it would work best and there it goes, a simple ferris wheel. It did have a hand crank on it but she substituted the motor. She has such a quick mind. She also can't sit still if she isn't given a task so this will help her.

Well getting ready to go to bed early. The big kids haven't gotten back form the movie yet but that's oK. The kids went to sleep with nairy a peep and grandpa and I are pooped.

Oh Kim, i tried to order my fit bit from Walmart this morning. My time zone could order starting at 2:01. So I was on the website at 2 and couldn't get in. I think everyone was trying to order. I was finally able to get on at 2:15 and they were out of them. 15 minutes!

Joyce, Indiana