Little changes that make a big difference

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    • I pretty much skip the pasta or bread, and just eat what I would've put on the pasta, or in the sandwich. But lettuce wraps work for sandwich-like use, too. The pasta/bread just aren't worth the calories to me, in terms of their nutritional value (and I don't crave the carbs, as some do).
    • I like vinegar on salad, and there are a bunch of different types, or you can put prepared mustard, or herbs or spices in it (heat some of it *briefly* in the microwave to get the herbs/spices to give up more flavor, if you're using it right away).
    • Use greek yogurt to make "creamy" salad dressing & add some protein, and greek yogurt makes great deviled eggs.
    • Top your salad with some cottage cheese instead of dressing.
    • Use pureed white beans to thicken soups or sauces - not necessarily lower calories, but higher nutrition than a cream sauce, and more filling. Pureed cauliflower, winter squash, or other suitable veggies are also an option.
    • Herb tea, hot or cold. Or herb/green team mixed half-and-half with sparkling water.
    • Plain do-it-yourself popcorn, popped in the microwave, is lower calorie than most of the prepackaged stuff, and way cheaper. Add your own flavor - quick spray of olive oil helps salt or other dry seasoning to stick (you could use regular cooking spray, but I don't love it). For around 100 calories, I can eat a decent portion of popcorn with half an ounce of actual fresh grated parmesan cheese on it, even.
    I *don't* cut out a small amount of olive oil for scrambled eggs or what-have-you, because it's healthy fat, and it only takes a teaspoon or so. Worth the calories to me. As with any of these things, people have different tastes, cravings, and satiation factors, so YMMV.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    This is a hint you might not use very often but when I make spanakopita, instead of brushing on melted butter or pouring on oil, I use my fingers to dot on olive oil. I can make a whole-sleeve-of-filo/2-bags-of-spinach spanakopita with less than 1/4 cup of olive oil -- total! Comes out wonderfully tasty/crispy.

Spray olive oil (either commercial spray, or in your own pump sprayer) also works great for filo in savory dishes. Quicker than spreading *anything*, and - though it's tough to measure - I'm guessing the total quantity of needed oil may be less. Bakes up all flaky & crispy, just like you'd like.
  • LittleMissGreedy28
    Options
    Good thread
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love salmon, and eat a lot of it to reach my protein goals. I used to brush it with oilve oil and tamari then broil it, but now I take a 6-oz frozen filet and just microwave it on high for 3.5 minutes with some seasoning -- twice as fast, equally delicious, and saves the olive oil calories. Another favorite calorie cutter is Greek yogurt -- I eat tons of it. With some seasoning I use it as a substitue for mayo on sandwiches, or in tuna salad; mixed with berries and maybe just a tsp of sugar it's my go-to creamy dessert.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    - logging
    - spray oil
    - low fat yogurts
    - having a calories limit for the day
    - evaluate what food is better to eat in that particular moment
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories. Proteins and fats minimize hunger.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever use Chef Shamy Garlic Butter? It is amazing! I put a bit in all my steamed veggies and it give it so much flavor. I never need more than 1T for a big helping and it's under 100 calories and really has me enjoying my veggies now.

Another poster mentioned Laughing Cow Cheese. I use a wedge in my stuffed chicken with some spinach and a very small amount of other shredded cheese with some Cajun spices sprinkled on top and it is amazing. Great dinner!