What's the white stuff at back of tongue?

Options
It's awful.

I scrape 2x daily and it comes off, but what is it? Does everyone get it?

I'm wondering if it's my body saying it doesn't like something I'm eating?!

Thoughts?

Replies

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Hopefully among them will be someone who has an idea....

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Or you could just read the link, see that it's caused by smoking, dehydration, and poor oral hygiene.
    1. Brush more...
    2. use mouthwash...
    3. ???
    4. Profit
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    I'm sure it's not a hygiene issue... I brush 2-3x and floss daily.

Dehydration could be a possibility.

I remember meeting an Ayurvedic doctor many many years ago and something about the food one eats and their digestion / constitution showing up on the tongue.... Hence my curiosity now....

I wonder what the eastern / oriental medicine the is on it.

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Oral thrush?

I sometimes get a while layer on the tongue, usually after a very spicy (hot as is chilli hot) meal or lots of garlic. I read somewhere once that the chilli/garlic burns the top layer of skin...no idea if its true or not, but it could be just the way my body reacts to chilli and garlic.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    Oral thrush?

I sometimes get a while layer on the tongue, usually after a very spicy (hot as is chilli hot) meal or lots of garlic. I read somewhere once that the chilli/garlic burns the top layer of skin...no idea if its true or not, but it could be just the way my body reacts to chilli and garlic.

Thrush I think would be more consistent everywhere... Chillis and garlic is interesting. I eat fresh crushed green chilli a lot... Everyday.... And garlic in almost all my cooking.

Thanks! Will look into that.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I suggest you go to the doctor, it sounds like Thrush...and I just read your post above, Thrush can very definitely only occur in the mouth....
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Use a little baking soda on your toothbrush and gently brush your tongue.
    I associate that with being sick, or with eating in a way that's not best for me. I also get that if I do a water fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Smoking and lots of dairy..
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Plaque
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disorder called sjorgen's which causes this along with dry eyes and dry skin.

I scrape roughly 3 times a day, drink a ton of water, and brush twice a day. This still doesn't really fix the problem for me.

My suggestion would be to try both an enzyme rinse and gum. Biotene has both gum and rinse.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    If it is thrush, then I would think the OP would know about it. I just Google imaged it and what I saw goes way beyond the normal coating most people have..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I remember meeting an Ayurvedic doctor many many years ago and something about the food one eats and their digestion / constitution showing up on the tongue.... Hence my curiosity now....

But do you brush your tongue, or only your teeth? Proper oral hygiene includes brushing or scraping the tongue.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

But do you brush your tongue, or only your teeth? Proper oral hygiene includes brushing or scraping the tongue.

The original post

"It's awful.

I scrape 2x daily and it comes off, but what is it?
    Does everyone get it?"
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Skip the woo.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

The original post

"It's awful.

I scrape 2x daily and it comes off, but what is it?
    Does everyone get it?"

I get it, and I noticed it dramatically improved when I cut down from drinking 8-10 cups of milky tea, down to two per day. I also smoke and that affects it too.
    If it is an internal issue a good quality refrigerated probiotic may help.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • Aleash44
    Aleash44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's plaque...don't worry everyone gets it just different amounts. Just use a tongue scraper daily. I work in the dental field and I promise this is very normal.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Could be milk or coffee, a professor of mine once mentioned that milk and coffee tend to stick to the cilia on your tongue which is why people to who drink a lot of coffee tend to have a sour breath.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Aleash44 wrote: »
    It's plaque...don't worry everyone gets it just different amounts. Just use a tongue scraper daily. I work in the dental field and I promise this is very normal.

I need to work on my gag reflex before attempting to use a tongue scraper again. I dont know how some people (women) manage it :wink: :open_mouth: