no cardio?

I basically go to the gym every day. I start off with a vigorous spin for 30 minutes then I do weights. I do 20mins of arms and abs or 20-30min legs then to end my session after 'non leg day' I do a 15min quick run.

Everyone is telling me I don't need to do cardio but only lift heavy weights... Is that true? I can't even lift too much!

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    It depends on what your goals are. Cardiovascular fitness is super important to me, so I do cardio regularly.
    People tend to give weightloss and fitness advice based on what their own goals are. You just have to clear plan as to what you want to achieve and then you can go about the best way to achieve it.
  • siillyliilyy
    siillyliilyy Posts: 23 Member
    I really want to gain lean muscle and be toned. I know I need to lose a little weight but I really just want to start gaining muscle!
    It depends on what your goals are. Cardiovascular fitness is super important to me, so I do cardio regularly.
    People tend to give weightloss and fitness advice based on what their own goals are. You just have to clear plan as to what you want to achieve and then you can go about the best way to achieve it.

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    If you enjoy cardio, do it. I personally love lifting. Progressive overload will help you lift more if you are interested. It is better to move than not to move.
  • siillyliilyy
    Progressive overload?
    Josalinn wrote: »
    If you enjoy cardio, do it. I personally love lifting. Progressive overload will help you lift more if you are interested. It is better to move than not to move.

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    If gaining muscle is your goal, I will give you the standard "MFP fitness answer" and say "Lift heavy, bro."
    Seriously.
    Gaining muscle while losing fat is a difficult task, but not impossible.
    There's a great sticky thread here somewhere about "recomp" it has great information about workouts and nutrition.
    If I find the link, I'll post it as a reply.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Progressive overload?

Progressive overload is constantly demanding more of your body by making it do more. Adding reps, weight, and/or sets to your workout to make your system work harder. Progressive overload would be adding more weight to the bar on a regular basis to get stronger.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member

Everyone is telling me I don't need to do cardio but only lift heavy weights... Is that true? I can't even lift too much!

Lifting heavy, implies 'heavy' to you. You can do great things with progressive weight training check into it.
  • siillyliilyy
    I should of known that haha but thanks!
    shor0814 wrote: »
    Progressive overload?

Progressive overload is constantly demanding more of your body by making it do more. Adding reps, weight, and/or sets to your workout to make your system work harder. Progressive overload would be adding more weight to the bar on a regular basis to get stronger.

• siillyliilyy
    Perfect thanks so much!
    If gaining muscle is your goal, I will give you the standard "MFP fitness answer" and say "Lift heavy, bro."
    Seriously.
    There's a great sticky thread here somewhere about "recomp" it has great information about workouts and nutrition.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I like to run because I like to get places faster. My heart is stronger. And then there's the runner's high. That's why I do cardio.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I like to run because I like to get places faster. My heart is stronger. And then there's the runner's high. That's why I do cardio.

This goes for me too.

I like walking too, on my rest days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Seriously.

here is the link thread...

One thing to note, recomps take a good amount of time.... in many cases 1 year +

OP, I do both weight training (PHUL program), HIIT and Flexibility. I believe in working my muscular system and cardiovascular system.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Your ticker says you have 23 lbs to lose. I would stick to a moderate deficit to lose .5 to 1 lbs per week and focus on lifting. Pick a good program like, SL 5x5, NROLFW, Strong Curves or Allpro's Beginner's routine. These will all provide a structured plan of which lifts to do, how much weight and how you progress. You can add cardio as you like.