fluoxetine and weightloss

Options
I have been taking 40mg fluoxetine since July last year and have noticed it has been particularly harder for me to lose weight since about around that time

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Nope. I take fluoxetine and it has not a bring on weightloss. It may increase your appetite though.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    in all due respect, it's a worthless, sad excuse for an anti-depressant drug..

maybe talk to your pcp about venlafaxine? it's better than nothing (for what it's worth)
  • rhidrew
    rhidrew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    motivccess wrote: »

maybe talk to your pcp about venlafaxine? it's better than nothing (for what it's worth)

I have found fluoxetine extremely helpful and was initially on venlafaxine, I did not feel good on it at all. I am being tapered off anti depressants all together so would rather not go on anything else unless needed.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are known for weight gain...if you are tapering off, you should be fine soon! Be sure to get plenty of activity, especially outside. It really helps with the depression and may also help with weight!
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It increases the appetite. I would suggest you to raise your TDEE (be more active) so that you can eat a bit more. This is what I do.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    increased appetite is one of the less common or rare side effects. But weight gain is not listed as one of them. You should contact your doctor. I have taken that medication (it did not help me) and did not notice that.
  • elphie754
    Options
    motivccess wrote: »

While it may have been useless for you, it has been helpful for others. Please do not dismiss a medication just because you found it unhelpful.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I took both fluoxetine and venefelaxon years ago (not a the same time) and initially lost weight on both in the beginning. I found after taking them for 6 months or so that I put on and maintained a 5lb total increase (each time). When I finally got off antidepressants altogether I lost that 5lbs gain.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    rhidrew wrote: »
    I have been taking 40mg fluoxetine since July last year and have noticed it has been particularly harder for me to lose weight since about around that time

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

• MorganMoreaux
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Best of luck!

• MorganMoreaux
    edited November 2015
    Options

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Best of luck!

I've actually been off meds for a few years, and feel better than ever. Cognitive behavioral therapy works better than medication imo. I've also spent a lot of time researching serotonin production in the body, and use diet to ensure my levels are what they need to be. I do supplement with a vitamin b complex and inositol. Ironically since getting off the meds, I no longer have debilitating anxiety. I am not depressed, and my sleep issues have resolved themselves. I initially got on Zoloft because I was going through a rough patch when I was 24. They also put me on Xanex. I didn't do any research and just took the medication blindly for ten years. Started on the lowest does of Zoloft, end on the highest dose. I had to get on Effexor temporarily to get through the excruciating withdrawal from Xanex. During that time I was a mess, and couldn't work so I studied the various mechanisms of antidepressants and then cross referenced the main neurotransmitters involved and how to increase the production of the key players through diet. So far it has worked better than the pills ever did, and left me very disappointed and mistrusting of a medical system that would do this to a very naive and trusting young woman . Back then I didn't think to question my doctor. Any medical professional that would allow a healthy individual to remain on benzodiazepines for over ten years needs to have their license revoked, imo.

ETA - none of these drugs are designed to be long term solutions. I am not certain many doctors are aware of this. If you chart out the medications effectiveness before hitting a tolerance point with respect to dose, you will see how quickly the effectiveness declines before the patients hits the maximum dose allowable. It is not a sustainable solution.
  • elphie754
    Options

Best of luck!

This is horrible and dangerous advice. Please do not tell people they do not need their medication. It it because of people like you I remained unmedicayed for years. Now I am happily stabilized after listening to my Drs instead of people who think no one needs psych meds.
  • robs_ready
    edited November 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Best of luck!

This is horrible and dangerous advice. Please do not tell people they do not need their medication. It it because of people like you I remained unmedicayed for years. Now I am happily stabilized after listening to my Drs instead of people who think no one needs psych meds.

No its not horribly dangerous advice, you obviously didn't read the part where I said 'with doctors' monitoring.

Unless your bipolar, schizophrenic or suffer from any other form of psychotic illness, you do not need to be on medication long term.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

I've actually been off meds for a few years, and feel better than ever. Cognitive behavioral therapy works better than medication imo. I've also spent a lot of time researching serotonin production in the body, and use diet to ensure my levels are what they need to be. I do supplement with a vitamin b complex and inositol. Ironically since getting off the meds, I no longer have debilitating anxiety. I am not depressed, and my sleep issues have resolved themselves. I initially got on Zoloft because I was going through a rough patch when I was 24. They also put me on Xanex. I didn't do any research and just took the medication blindly for ten years. Started on the lowest does of Zoloft, end on the highest dose. I had to get on Effexor temporarily to get through the excruciating withdrawal from Xanex. During that time I was a mess, and couldn't work so I studied the various mechanisms of antidepressants and then cross referenced the main neurotransmitters involved and how to increase the production of the key players through diet. So far it has worked better than the pills ever did, and left me very disappointed and mistrusting of a medical system that would do this to a very naive and trusting young woman . Back then I didn't think to question my doctor. Any medical professional that would allow a healthy individual to remain on benzodiazepines for over ten years needs to have their license revoked, imo.

ETA - none of these drugs are designed to be long term solutions. I am not certain many doctors are aware of this. If you chart out the medications effectiveness before hitting a tolerance point with respect to dose, you will see how quickly the effectiveness declines before the patients hits the maximum dose allowable. It is not a sustainable solution.

Completely agree, lots of misinformed doctors and bad science. There is still absolutely no evidence serotonin is the primary trigger of depression, in fact, there's lots more evidence that psychotropic medication does more damage in the long run.
  • MorganMoreaux
    edited November 2015
    Options

Best of luck!

I do agree. What I posted worked for me, but may not be suitable for everyone else. I also think that some of these medications may be beneficial for some people as a way to jump start them on a path to get them out of depression. I would just recommend having a very good doctor when trying some of these drugs.

I also want to add that if you are presently taking them and want to stop taking them, DO NOT just quit taking them. Do research online and then see your doctor before taking any action. I recommend researching this online first so you are more knowledgeable on the subject matter and can have a more meaningful conversation with your doctor. Getting off these drugs is not easy, and more often than not, things will get worse before they get better. You need a definite plan of action in place before actually taking action. Some withdrawal from drugs that are often paired with antidepressants (benzodiazepines) can actually cause death if you just quit. In my case I had to be prescribed antiseizure medication when I stopped Xanex. I also had to be prescribed Indural (beta blocker) to control my blood pressure when I was getting off Xanex. These support medications only addressed the physical symptoms. There are a slew of psychological aspects that need to be considered as well. Stopping these meds is not something to be done on whim, and requires medical intervention, preferably with a good doctor who is experienced with these types of medications.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options

Best of luck!

Completely agree, lots of misinformed doctors and bad science. There is still absolutely no evidence serotonin is the primary trigger of depression, in fact, there's lots more evidence that psychotropic medication does more damage in the long run.

Yes, much more research needs to be done to find the primary trigger of depression. I know from my personal experience with those medications, it made my problems exponentially worse in the long run. I am on the fence about using them for a few months to get someone out of deep depression, but in conjunction with CBT and paired with good nutrition. It seems like there are more people with mental health issues now, though that could be because it's not stigmatized like it was in the past. However, I do wonder the impact diet has on mental health, though I guess that is a new thread altogether lol.
  • elphie754
    Options

Best of luck!

No its not horribly dangerous advice, you obviously didn't read the part where I said 'with doctors' monitoring.

Unless your bipolar, schizophrenic or suffer from any other form of psychotic illness, you do not need to be on medication long term.

So only those you think need to be on meds, need to be on meds? Just no. Sorry but this is so horribly offensive to those on psychiatric medication.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

So only those you think need to be on meds, need to be on meds? Just no. Sorry but this is so horribly offensive to those on psychiatric medication.

Look I'm really sorry, I think I need to clarify my points because there clearly is some misunderstanding.

Medication for some (including myself) is a great way to help those who need short term relief, there is no doubt these medications work to help those get out of major depression.

However I stand firm in my belief about long term medication, it does not deal with the underlining issues and will in fact, make it harder long term to deal with lifes issues without becoming dependent on the medication.

My advice, from the beginning, was to advise the OP to seek the option to taper off the meds. In context, she already admits that the medication has little effect on her. I did make it clear that seeking medical advise was key.

Sorry if this offended you, but to say that 'people like me are the reason you remain unmedicated for years' is simply frustrating. It's people like me who spent 8 years on these drugs that spends a lot of my time helping others find suitable alternatives to mind altering drugs. I'm far from ignorant to psychiatry.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Not everyone treated with SSRI's/SNRI's is on them for depression. Some people are on them for chronic pain conditions.

Saying that, your advice is doubly terrible.

I'm on a really high dose of duloxetine for chronic migraines. It's only one part of a multi-pronged approach to manage them.

You know what? My doctor and I came up with the best solution for my migraines. It includes medication, exercise and lifestyle/habit/dietary measures.

You know what? The same applies to depression. The BEST solution for it is going to be individual and is going to be made between each patient and her doctor working together as a team.