fluoxetine and weightloss

Options

Replies

• mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree, please don't tell people they don't need to be on meds "I promise". You have no idea what their situation is. How about "some" people don't need to be on meds? I was on fluoxetine and Wellbutrin for years for serious depression and anxiety. It took me years to deal with the depression enough to be able to get off my meds. But, I still had to be on some meds for anxiety. That doesn't just go away.

To the OP.. I was taking fluoxetine for anxiety for years. I was also trying to lose weight and just couldn't. I did read that taking fluoxetine for years can mess with your metabolism, so I stopped taking them. I've lost 15 lbs since. I still suffer with a little depression and anxiety but I try dealing with them in other ways. I would definitely speak with your doctor before making any decisions. Good luck!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Best of luck!

I've actually been off meds for a few years, and feel better than ever. Cognitive behavioral therapy works better than medication imo. I've also spent a lot of time researching serotonin production in the body, and use diet to ensure my levels are what they need to be. I do supplement with a vitamin b complex and inositol. Ironically since getting off the meds, I no longer have debilitating anxiety. I am not depressed, and my sleep issues have resolved themselves. I initially got on Zoloft because I was going through a rough patch when I was 24. They also put me on Xanex. I didn't do any research and just took the medication blindly for ten years. Started on the lowest does of Zoloft, end on the highest dose. I had to get on Effexor temporarily to get through the excruciating withdrawal from Xanex. During that time I was a mess, and couldn't work so I studied the various mechanisms of antidepressants and then cross referenced the main neurotransmitters involved and how to increase the production of the key players through diet. So far it has worked better than the pills ever did, and left me very disappointed and mistrusting of a medical system that would do this to a very naive and trusting young woman . Back then I didn't think to question my doctor. Any medical professional that would allow a healthy individual to remain on benzodiazepines for over ten years needs to have their license revoked, imo.

ETA - none of these drugs are designed to be long term solutions. I am not certain many doctors are aware of this. If you chart out the medications effectiveness before hitting a tolerance point with respect to dose, you will see how quickly the effectiveness declines before the patients hits the maximum dose allowable. It is not a sustainable solution.

Completely agree, lots of misinformed doctors and bad science. There is still absolutely no evidence serotonin is the primary trigger of depression, in fact, there's lots more evidence that psychotropic medication does more damage in the long run.

Yes, much more research needs to be done to find the primary trigger of depression. I know from my personal experience with those medications, it made my problems exponentially worse in the long run. I am on the fence about using them for a few months to get someone out of deep depression, but in conjunction with CBT and paired with good nutrition. It seems like there are more people with mental health issues now, though that could be because it's not stigmatized like it was in the past. However, I do wonder the impact diet has on mental health, though I guess that is a new thread altogether lol.

I'm glad we are on the same page here, the real underlining issue is 'thought processes' if you're able to fix this, you're able to beat depression long term. Short term, for those in major depression, cbt just doesn't feel like a feasible option, which is why a combination of the 2 at first is definitely good advice.

Also, diet, exercise and some supplementes (vitamin d, vitamin b, magnesium and zinc) have all been scientifically documented to work.
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Best of luck!

This is horrible and dangerous advice. Please do not tell people they do not need their medication. It it because of people like you I remained unmedicayed for years. Now I am happily stabilized after listening to my Drs instead of people who think no one needs psych meds.

No its not horribly dangerous advice, you obviously didn't read the part where I said 'with doctors' monitoring.

Unless your bipolar, schizophrenic or suffer from any other form of psychotic illness, you do not need to be on medication long term.

So only those you think need to be on meds, need to be on meds? Just no. Sorry but this is so horribly offensive to those on psychiatric medication.

Look I'm really sorry, I think I need to clarify my points because there clearly is some misunderstanding.

Medication for some (including myself) is a great way to help those who need short term relief, there is no doubt these medications work to help those get out of major depression.

However I stand firm in my belief about long term medication, it does not deal with the underlining issues and will in fact, make it harder long term to deal with lifes issues without becoming dependent on the medication.

My advice, from the beginning, was to advise the OP to seek the option to taper off the meds. In context, she already admits that the medication has little effect on her. I did make it clear that seeking medical advise was key.

Sorry if this offended you, but to say that 'people like me are the reason you remain unmedicated for years' is simply frustrating. It's people like me who spent 8 years on these drugs that spends a lot of my time helping others find suitable alternatives to mind altering drugs. I'm far from ignorant to psychiatry.

Saw this after I posted.. I agree
  • robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

Not everyone treated with SSRI's/SNRI's is on them for depression. Some people are on them for chronic pain conditions.

Saying that, your advice is doubly terrible.

I'm on a really high dose of duloxetine for chronic migraines. It's only one part of a multi-pronged approach to manage them.

You know what? My doctor and I came up with the best solution for my migraines. It includes medication, exercise and lifestyle/habit/dietary measures.

You know what? The same applies to depression. The BEST solution for it is going to be individual and is going to be made between each patient and her doctor working together as a team.

You're more than welcome to say my advise is terrible, but can you at least explain why?

I'm not talking about migraines, the topic is depression, I am well aware of the off label uses of these meds.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Best of luck!

Not everyone treated with SSRI's/SNRI's is on them for depression. Some people are on them for chronic pain conditions.

I'm on a really high dose of duloxetine for chronic migraines. It's only one part of a multi-pronged approach to manage them.

You know what? My doctor and I came up with the best solution for my migraines. It includes medication, exercise and lifestyle/habit/dietary measures.

You know what? The same applies to depression. The BEST solution for it is going to be individual and is going to be made between each patient and her doctor working together as a team.

You're more than welcome to say my advise is terrible, but can you at least explain why?

I'm not talking about migraines, the topic is depression, I am well aware of the off label uses of these meds.

Are you a doctor? Why are dispensing medical/psychiatric advice?

The topic is NOT depression or that meds are terrible, the topic is the meds in relation to weight.

In relation to that topic, I've lost 72 pounds on duloxetine, if that counts for anything.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

From his profile, he's a 26 year old e-commerce manager.

Huh.

• robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

The topic is NOT depression or that meds are terrible, the topic is the meds in relation to weight.

In relation to that topic, I've lost 72 pounds on duloxetine, if that counts for anything.

Congratulations (Y)

Anyway.. No, I'm not a doctor, and for the third time now, I'm going go ahead and say...

'Seek medical advice when making decisions about medication'

And also from my first post:

'anti depressants can affect weight differently depending on the individual'

If medication is preventing you from losing weight, then reducing or even removing it could be a good solution, I'll repeat again. 'under doctors supervision'

Sigh....
  • robs_ready
    Options
    And can I also point out having an opinion doesn't require me to have a degree in psychiatry.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

I've actually been off meds for a few years, and feel better than ever. Cognitive behavioral therapy works better than medication imo. I've also spent a lot of time researching serotonin production in the body, and use diet to ensure my levels are what they need to be. I do supplement with a vitamin b complex and inositol. Ironically since getting off the meds, I no longer have debilitating anxiety. I am not depressed, and my sleep issues have resolved themselves. I initially got on Zoloft because I was going through a rough patch when I was 24. They also put me on Xanex. I didn't do any research and just took the medication blindly for ten years. Started on the lowest does of Zoloft, end on the highest dose. I had to get on Effexor temporarily to get through the excruciating withdrawal from Xanex. During that time I was a mess, and couldn't work so I studied the various mechanisms of antidepressants and then cross referenced the main neurotransmitters involved and how to increase the production of the key players through diet. So far it has worked better than the pills ever did, and left me very disappointed and mistrusting of a medical system that would do this to a very naive and trusting young woman . Back then I didn't think to question my doctor. Any medical professional that would allow a healthy individual to remain on benzodiazepines for over ten years needs to have their license revoked, imo.

ETA - none of these drugs are designed to be long term solutions. I am not certain many doctors are aware of this. If you chart out the medications effectiveness before hitting a tolerance point with respect to dose, you will see how quickly the effectiveness declines before the patients hits the maximum dose allowable. It is not a sustainable solution.

Completely agree, lots of misinformed doctors and bad science. There is still absolutely no evidence serotonin is the primary trigger of depression, in fact, there's lots more evidence that psychotropic medication does more damage in the long run.

Yes, much more research needs to be done to find the primary trigger of depression. I know from my personal experience with those medications, it made my problems exponentially worse in the long run. I am on the fence about using them for a few months to get someone out of deep depression, but in conjunction with CBT and paired with good nutrition. It seems like there are more people with mental health issues now, though that could be because it's not stigmatized like it was in the past. However, I do wonder the impact diet has on mental health, though I guess that is a new thread altogether lol.

I'm glad we are on the same page here, the real underlining issue is 'thought processes' if you're able to fix this, you're able to beat depression long term. Short term, for those in major depression, cbt just doesn't feel like a feasible option, which is why a combination of the 2 at first is definitely good advice.

Also, diet, exercise and some supplementes (vitamin d, vitamin b, magnesium and zinc) have all been scientifically documented to work.

So true. The issue I see many people, including myself at the time, is once the meds kick in why do anything more. They're "working", or so it seems. I think most people who are in these situations tend to have to go down the rabbit hole themselves (when they stop working"), to realize pills are the cure they had once thought they would be. Also, CBT takes a lot of work and effort. It isn't easy and doesn't come naturally to people. When you're depressed, getting out of bed is a daunting tiresome task and finding motivation for anything more seems impossible lol. Doctors really need to educate themselves with these meds to find the "sweet spot" in terms of duration and really press the need for CBT with their patients (I'm referencing depression/anxiety related issues only, not other conditions in which these meds may be scripted). Doctors need to alert their patients that these meds only work for a finite amount of time so the patients are motivated to be proactive in seeking out sustainable long term solutions for their depression.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Best of luck!

Congratulations (Y)

Anyway.. No, I'm not a doctor, and for the third time now, I'm going go ahead and say...

If medication is preventing you from losing weight, then reducing or even removing it could be a good solution, I'll repeat again. 'under doctors supervision'

Sigh....

No, this is the bit I had trouble with. You neglected repeating it.

Depending on an individual's specific circumstances, this statement could be anywhere from naive to flat out callous.

• robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

Congratulations (Y)

Sigh....

Depending on an individual's specific circumstances, this statement could be anywhere from naive to flat out callous.

Well that's fine then, we don't agree? That's no problem :)

You still haven't explained which part you're having trouble understanding.

And I agree on the second point, I.e circumstances. As this conversation was originally between me and the OP, the advice given was actually for her. If medication isn't working anymore, it's time to look at alternative options. There is actually nothing naive about it, antidepressants short term reuptake serotonin and sometimes norepinephrine and dopamine, this Is what relieves the symptoms. Long term, these systems become damaged.

That's not to say revisiting meds in the future isn't an option, but short term use is recommended, I am more than happy to provide sources if need be.

• robs_ready
    Options

Best of luck!

So true. The issue I see many people, including myself at the time, is once the meds kick in why do anything more. They're "working", or so it seems. I think most people who are in these situations tend to have to go down the rabbit hole themselves (when they stop working"), to realize pills are the cure they had once thought they would be. Also, CBT takes a lot of work and effort. It isn't easy and doesn't come naturally to people. When you're depressed, getting out of bed is a daunting tiresome task and finding motivation for anything more seems impossible lol. Doctors really need to educate themselves with these meds to find the "sweet spot" in terms of duration and really press the need for CBT with their patients (I'm referencing depression/anxiety related issues only, not other conditions in which these meds may be scripted). Doctors need to alert their patients that these meds only work for a finite amount of time so the patients are motivated to be proactive in seeking out sustainable long term solutions for their depression.

CBT isn't an easy option, it isn't easy to master either, but I stand firm in my belief longterm solutions are far more useful to individuals. There is far too much ignorance in the medical profession and handing these potent medications out like sweets to their patience without proper monitoring is what is really naive
  • MorganMoreaux
    edited November 2015
    Options

Best of luck!

Congratulations (Y)

Sigh....

Pertaining to depression, patients build a tolerance to these medications, which is why over the course of treatment their doses will eventually go up until the reach the highest dose they can be on. They then have to switch medication, which is difficult and painful to the patient, or they have to supplement with a new medication (which also builds tolerance, and ultimately they will have to switch). Mind you, increasing the dose also increase the number of severity of the medication's side effects. Getting off of these medications is horrendous, and you have to stop one med before you begin something new. CBT, diet, and exercise are known to benefit most people, and should be explored at some point during treatment. These medications have a systemic effect on the human body and are by no means benign to other organ systems. Simply relying on medication instead of practicing due diligence in exploring other treatment options is an extreme disservice to the patient. It's less time consuming and much easier for doctors to write a prescription than to research a specific patient's trends with medication and look into non-pharmaceutical treatments for the patient. You're on the medication for migraines, not depression. I think you may lack the knowledge and experience regarding pharmaceutical treatment for depression to say that he is being naive or callous. You may gain insight if you ever have to switch medications or get off it, as it is not a pleasant situation.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm a bit late to this discussion but here's my take. First of all, yes, appetite can increase with the use of antidepressants but this is not an excuse to not losing weight. Losing weight comes from the conscious decision to reduce intake despite feeling hungry. Secondly, I'm reading a lot of opinion based on some research (unquoted) and a lot of experience (subjective). We are all different and respond to a variety of treatments in a unique way. To criticize what works for another because it didn't work for you is unfair. I have been on this "train" for years and can only say what works for me. For what it's worth, I take antidepressants and am well aware that I will need to increase dose and eventually change meds. I have been to CBT for years and worked hard at it but found it to be ineffective in my case. I am currently using a combination of vitamins, exercise and meds (as well as lght therapy) with success. Success, for me, is no longer having suicidal ideation and actually being able to enjoy life. May sound a little sad to you but I feel better than I have in years.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited November 2015
    Options

Best of luck!

Congratulations (Y)

Sigh....

Pertaining to depression, patients build a tolerance to these medications, which is why over the course of treatment their doses will eventually go up until the reach the highest dose they can be on. They then have to switch medication, which is difficult and painful to the patient, or they have to supplement with a new medication (which also builds tolerance, and ultimately they will have to switch). Mind you, increasing the dose also increase the number of severity of the medication's side effects. Getting off of these medications is horrendous, and you have to stop one med before you begin something new. CBT, diet, and exercise are known to benefit most people, and should be explored at some point during treatment. These medications have a systemic effect on the human body and are by no means benign to other organ systems. Simply relying on medication instead of practicing due diligence in exploring other treatment options is an extreme disservice to the patient. It's less time consuming and much easier for doctors to write a prescription than to research a specific patient's trends with medication and look into non-pharmaceutical treatments for the patient. You're on the medication for migraines, not depression. I think you may lack the knowledge and experience regarding pharmaceutical treatment for depression to say that he is being naive or callous. You may gain insight if you ever have to switch medications or get off it, as it is not a pleasant situation.

Well, you don't know all of my medical history now, do you?

I never had a doctor treat me for depression (from which I no longer suffer) without mentioning other, complementary measures. I was not simply handed medication. I've been on several anti's and experienced the withdrawals. Now you know more. Can I comment now?

I stand by my statement that any one person saying what is best can't know the sum of another person's issues. What's best is something each individual needs to work out together with her physician.
  • joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - real pharmacist here (PharmD) and while I haven't read the entire discussion, I saw a few posts that were really alarming.

First of all "Just quit" - DO NOT stop taking them abruptly. If you want to switch or discontinue the meds, talk to one of us about how to taper off of them, and as always with the approval of your doc and therapist.

Secondly "xyz is better than abc drug". False. The neurochemical make up of each person can vary widely, and as such reactions to the meds can vary as well. Only the patient i.e. YOU can be the judge of what's working and what's not, within the goals of your cognitive behavioral therapy (assuming you're getting some).

Lastly, fluoxetine is not normally associated with weight gain/loss, and it should be noted that weight gain associated with antidepressants are due primarily to increases of serotonin at the 5HT1A receptor, thought to be responsible for appetite. So it doesn't "slow your metabolism", it just makes you eat more.

I'd be happy to answer more of your questions or direct you to resources where you could find answers if you direct message me. Just thought I'd chime in on all the misinformation and bad advice in this thread.
  • MorganMoreaux
    edited November 2015
    Options

Best of luck!

Congratulations (Y)

Sigh....

Well, you don't know all of my medical history now, do you?

I never had a doctor treat me for depression (from which I no longer suffer) without mentioning other, complementary measures. I was not simply handed medication. I've been on several anti's and experienced the withdrawals. Now you know more. Can I comment now?

I stand by my statement that any one person saying what is best can't know the sum of another person's issues. What's best is something each individual needs to work out together with her physician.

I merely responded to your statement because you seemed dismissive, with what roblloyd89 had posted. Like you had stated, and I agree with, treatment for depression needs to be done on an individual basis as people respond differently. However, his post was valid and not worthy of being dismissed as either naive or callous, and should be considered by people who are reading this thread who may be suffering from depression, as something they should also look into. The OP explicitly stated that they wanted to get off of their meds, his response seems perfectly appropriate in this instance. As for your doctors also mentioning other complementary measures in addition to medications, that's great. Not all doctors do this.

Though, if you've had experience with these types of meds why not expound on that as well as you obviously have had a very different experience than what I have, and it may be useful to the OP and others reading this thread.

As far as commenting, feel free, it's a public forum. Expect people to respond with differing view points. A difference in opinion does not equal a personal attack :smile:
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    joelo_83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone - real pharmacist here (PharmD) and while I haven't read the entire discussion, I saw a few posts that were really alarming.

First of all "Just quit" - DO NOT stop taking them abruptly. If you want to switch or discontinue the meds, talk to one of us about how to taper off of them, and as always with the approval of your doc and therapist.

Secondly "xyz is better than abc drug". False. The neurochemical make up of each person can vary widely, and as such reactions to the meds can vary as well. Only the patient i.e. YOU can be the judge of what's working and what's not, within the goals of your cognitive behavioral therapy (assuming you're getting some).

Lastly, fluoxetine is not normally associated with weight gain/loss, and it should be noted that weight gain associated with antidepressants are due primarily to increases of serotonin at the 5HT1A receptor, thought to be responsible for appetite. So it doesn't "slow your metabolism", it just makes you eat more.

I'd be happy to answer more of your questions or direct you to resources where you could find answers if you direct message me. Just thought I'd chime in on all the misinformation and bad advice in this thread.

Thanks!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on it via appetite increase. My doctor said most people lose on it. Go figure.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    joelo_83 wrote: »

thank you!