Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Best of luck!

Not everyone treated with SSRI's/SNRI's is on them for depression. Some people are on them for chronic pain conditions.

Saying that, your advice is doubly terrible.

I'm on a really high dose of duloxetine for chronic migraines. It's only one part of a multi-pronged approach to manage them.

You know what? My doctor and I came up with the best solution for my migraines. It includes medication, exercise and lifestyle/habit/dietary measures.

You know what? The same applies to depression. The BEST solution for it is going to be individual and is going to be made between each patient and her doctor working together as a team.

You're more than welcome to say my advise is terrible, but can you at least explain why?

I'm not talking about migraines, the topic is depression, I am well aware of the off label uses of these meds.

Are you a doctor? Why are dispensing medical/psychiatric advice?

The topic is NOT depression or that meds are terrible, the topic is the meds in relation to weight.

In relation to that topic, I've lost 72 pounds on duloxetine, if that counts for anything.

Congratulations (Y)

Anyway.. No, I'm not a doctor, and for the third time now, I'm going go ahead and say...

'Seek medical advice when making decisions about medication'

And also from my first post:

'anti depressants can affect weight differently depending on the individual'

If medication is preventing you from losing weight, then reducing or even removing it could be a good solution, I'll repeat again. 'under doctors supervision'

Sigh....

No, this is the bit I had trouble with. You neglected repeating it.
    The best solution for depression long term, is mindfulness, cognitive behaviour therapy and exercise.

Depending on an individual's specific circumstances, this statement could be anywhere from naive to flat out callous.

Pertaining to depression, patients build a tolerance to these medications, which is why over the course of treatment their doses will eventually go up until the reach the highest dose they can be on. They then have to switch medication, which is difficult and painful to the patient, or they have to supplement with a new medication (which also builds tolerance, and ultimately they will have to switch). Mind you, increasing the dose also increase the number of severity of the medication's side effects. Getting off of these medications is horrendous, and you have to stop one med before you begin something new. CBT, diet, and exercise are known to benefit most people, and should be explored at some point during treatment. These medications have a systemic effect on the human body and are by no means benign to other organ systems. Simply relying on medication instead of practicing due diligence in exploring other treatment options is an extreme disservice to the patient. It's less time consuming and much easier for doctors to write a prescription than to research a specific patient's trends with medication and look into non-pharmaceutical treatments for the patient. You're on the medication for migraines, not depression. I think you may lack the knowledge and experience regarding pharmaceutical treatment for depression to say that he is being naive or callous. You may gain insight if you ever have to switch medications or get off it, as it is not a pleasant situation.

Well, you don't know all of my medical history now, do you?

I never had a doctor treat me for depression (from which I no longer suffer) without mentioning other, complementary measures. I was not simply handed medication. I've been on several anti's and experienced the withdrawals. Now you know more. Can I comment now?

I stand by my statement that any one person saying what is best can't know the sum of another person's issues. What's best is something each individual needs to work out together with her physician.

I'm glad you have doctors who mention complimentary measures. I've moved a lot, have had lots of different doctors and not one of them who prescribed antidepressants ever mentioned complimentary measures, which I believe should be the first line of defense for mild to moderate depression.
  • rhidrew
    rhidrew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well this thread has taken a drastic turn. I didn't want to discuss my mental health history, I'm feeling good now and am being monitored whilst tapering off them by my GP. As for weight gain in relation to my medication, I never used it as an excuse to not to lose weight, I am still losing weight, I merely commented I found it more difficult and if that's due to having an increased appetite then so be it, I am okay with this. Overall I am in a healthy weight range and was just wondering if anyone else found it easier to lose weight once stopping their anti depressants. I hope no one reads this thread and abruptly stops taking their anti depressants, I started a new job last year and thought I was doing a lot better which lead me to abruptly stop taking my fluoxetine, I ended extremely sick and in a worse position mentally than when I initially began my medication.

What works for me though may not work for someone else, medication I dare say saved my life so I please ask no body belittle this and tell me that diet and exercise is the key to overcoming depression, it is so much more complex than that and though I agree diet and exercise definitely plays an important role in it, it simply wasn't enough for me.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Good question, anti-depressants can actually make people either lose weight or gain weight, it completely depends on the individual.

I've just come off venlafaxine, which is a nasty drug. I would strongly suggest coming off them if you can.

Yes it is. My experience with that and fluoxetine put me off antidepressants for good. I find it concerning hat they eventually build a tolerance so people have to periodically increase their dose for them to remain effective. I've also read where due to some of their side effects, they can diminish the amount of serotonin that is produced, but the user isn't directly aware that is happening because they prevent the immediate uptake of serotonin in the brain. It actually seems to be doing the opposite of what people actually need. And getting of them is just excruciating - doesn't matter how long you taper do the taper, you're still decreasing the overall amount and your body notices and complains lol.

You're right, but more worrying than that, anti depressants are non effective long term.

The issue is prevalent, unless you're able to change your thought processes, they simply mask symptoms.

I see you've also been on venlafaxine, which is an snri (targeting serotonin and norepinephrine), your brain probably like mine, can't tolerate medication anymore. I would strongly suggest with the doctors monitoring, that you come off meds altogether, you don't need them I promise you that much.

I've been off venlafaxine now for 2 weeks, and I actually feel better without them, not to mention those horrible side effects.

Best of luck!

Not everyone treated with SSRI's/SNRI's is on them for depression. Some people are on them for chronic pain conditions.

Saying that, your advice is doubly terrible.

I'm on a really high dose of duloxetine for chronic migraines. It's only one part of a multi-pronged approach to manage them.

You know what? My doctor and I came up with the best solution for my migraines. It includes medication, exercise and lifestyle/habit/dietary measures.

You know what? The same applies to depression. The BEST solution for it is going to be individual and is going to be made between each patient and her doctor working together as a team.

You're more than welcome to say my advise is terrible, but can you at least explain why?

I'm not talking about migraines, the topic is depression, I am well aware of the off label uses of these meds.

Are you a doctor? Why are dispensing medical/psychiatric advice?

The topic is NOT depression or that meds are terrible, the topic is the meds in relation to weight.

In relation to that topic, I've lost 72 pounds on duloxetine, if that counts for anything.

Congratulations (Y)

Anyway.. No, I'm not a doctor, and for the third time now, I'm going go ahead and say...

'Seek medical advice when making decisions about medication'

And also from my first post:

'anti depressants can affect weight differently depending on the individual'

If medication is preventing you from losing weight, then reducing or even removing it could be a good solution, I'll repeat again. 'under doctors supervision'

Sigh....

No, this is the bit I had trouble with. You neglected repeating it.

Depending on an individual's specific circumstances, this statement could be anywhere from naive to flat out callous.

Pertaining to depression, patients build a tolerance to these medications, which is why over the course of treatment their doses will eventually go up until the reach the highest dose they can be on. They then have to switch medication, which is difficult and painful to the patient, or they have to supplement with a new medication (which also builds tolerance, and ultimately they will have to switch). Mind you, increasing the dose also increase the number of severity of the medication's side effects. Getting off of these medications is horrendous, and you have to stop one med before you begin something new. CBT, diet, and exercise are known to benefit most people, and should be explored at some point during treatment. These medications have a systemic effect on the human body and are by no means benign to other organ systems. Simply relying on medication instead of practicing due diligence in exploring other treatment options is an extreme disservice to the patient. It's less time consuming and much easier for doctors to write a prescription than to research a specific patient's trends with medication and look into non-pharmaceutical treatments for the patient. You're on the medication for migraines, not depression. I think you may lack the knowledge and experience regarding pharmaceutical treatment for depression to say that he is being naive or callous. You may gain insight if you ever have to switch medications or get off it, as it is not a pleasant situation.

Well, you don't know all of my medical history now, do you?

I never had a doctor treat me for depression (from which I no longer suffer) without mentioning other, complementary measures. I was not simply handed medication. I've been on several anti's and experienced the withdrawals. Now you know more. Can I comment now?

I stand by my statement that any one person saying what is best can't know the sum of another person's issues. What's best is something each individual needs to work out together with her physician.

I'm glad you have doctors who mention complimentary measures. I've moved a lot, have had lots of different doctors and not one of them who prescribed antidepressants ever mentioned complimentary measures, which I believe should be the first line of defense for mild to moderate depression.

My depression/anxiety wasn't mild. I'm not sure it was even moderate. I was sexually molested when I was a child, and when my daughter approached the age I was when the abuse started, everything came to a head. I was put on medication, given advice to exercise to help with the anxiety, and therapy was recommended. It... wasn't an easy time.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rhidrew wrote: »
    Well this thread has taken a drastic turn. I didn't want to discuss my mental health history, I'm feeling good now and am being monitored whilst tapering off them by my GP. As for weight gain in relation to my medication, I never used it as an excuse to not to lose weight, I am still losing weight, I merely commented I found it more difficult and if that's due to having an increased appetite then so be it, I am okay with this. Overall I am in a healthy weight range and was just wondering if anyone else found it easier to lose weight once stopping their anti depressants. I hope no one reads this thread and abruptly stops taking their anti depressants, I started a new job last year and thought I was doing a lot better which lead me to abruptly stop taking my fluoxetine, I ended extremely sick and in a worse position mentally than when I initially began my medication.

What works for me though may not work for someone else, medication I dare say saved my life so I please ask no body belittle this and tell me that diet and exercise is the key to overcoming depression, it is so much more complex than that and though I agree diet and exercise definitely plays an important role in it, it simply wasn't enough for me.

Trying to keep this on the topic of medications and weight...

There are some drugs which effect metabolism that make weight loss harder than expected, but the one you're on isn't one of them.

Can I ask, in your efforts to lose weight, while you were finding it difficult... were you meticulously tracking? Or were you just trying to cut back?
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't read all the other responses, but. . .
    Increased appetite and specifically increased carb cravings are well document aspects of taking SSRI's for some people. I gained 40 pounds due to increased carb cravings at night after I took my second anti-depressant. I read a great book on how to curve the cravings by helping your body produce Serotonin naturally. It's called the Serotonin Power Diet. Dr. Judith Wurtman. You can look at research on Serotonin, anti-depressants, cravings with the last name Wurtman and you will find a lot of the work they've done. There's also a forum and she answered some of my questions on curbing the weight gain.

BTW, I take the anti-depressant, get almost daily exercise, go to regular CBT and eat an 80% "clean" diet. I still need my meds or I don't sleep, and can't function optimally. I am also a mental health professional so we can't make blanket statements about "cures."

Best of luck.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I am on it and lost weight when i started it. I feel so much better when I am taking it, it's different for everyone.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I have been on Fluoxetine for around 8 years and it hasn't effected my weight at all :)
    If you do notice increased appetite (which I believe is quite common) just make sure you are extra aware. If you track already, you'll have no problem.