Juicing Diet

Options
brudius
brudius Posts: 18 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Greetings All,

I would like to get everyone's opinions on juicing diets. I had done just juice for 10 days and lost 12 pounds previously no solid food at all. Which came back slowly, but did come back when i went to solid foods.

I am on day 2 of the juicing diet and all is going well. This time i am throwing in a few other things in, maybe a hard boiled egg for a snack, or a solid apple.

I am using the recipe from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.
Apples - 2 medium
Celery - 4 stalk, large
Cucumber - 1 cucumber
Ginger Root - 1 thumb
Kale - 6 leaf
Lemon - 1/2 fruit

Depending how i feel that day i may add another cucumber or apple for sweetness. I also do usually a whole lemon. I was debating on trying to mix it up a little and toss in some brewed decaf green tea.

Has anyone done one of this or similar. Any advice on how to continue strong? Any tips?

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you use a juicer like a vitamix than includes all the fiber, then its not a problem. Regular juicers are a no from my view - no fiber.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to chew my food. It makes me feel fuller.

Juicing also makes you miss out on a lot of important nutrients. Juices are pretty much devoid of fiber, beneficial fats, and protein. A couple of days shouldn't hurt you, but juicing isn't something that I would reccomend you stick with for a long time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Watch the second Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead movie and take note of what the professionals in the film say. They had the same problems you did. Rather than figure out a way to sustain weight loss long term, they started themselves to lose weight, then gained most of it right back after they got tired of starving.

Advice on how to continue strong? Eat something. Seriously, look at the total calorie count of the suggested juicing mix.... it's low to an unhealthy level. That's the entire "secret" to it. You could probably take a multi vitamin or two and eat equal calories in Twinkies. But you'll still lose weight, still be hungry, and you won't have a juicer to clean up.

OR, you could lose weight at a healthy rate while eating real food. Learn more about nutrition, play with what foods keep you the most full, and transition to a long term healthier way of eating and a better understanding of your relationship with food.
  • kay86w
    kay86w Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm about to try a 5 day juice fast soon. Mostly for "reboot" purposes though not to lose weight
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    My opinion: as long as you're getting nutrition it's not actively harmful. If it works for you, great, but I wouldn't do it nor would I recommend it, and I've lost almost 60 lb so far.

Why I don't do this: one of the tenets of my diet plan is that I won't give up anything for a diet that I won't give up forever. I have no intention of giving up solid food forever, so I won't give it up for a diet, either. The reason here is simple - losing weight is actually the easy part. Keeping it off is harder. The time I spend losing weight needs to be "practice" for the time I will spend maintaining, and to practice, I need to be as close to my actual final habits as I can be. That means I eat all of the foods I plan to eat when I am maintaining, but I just eat them in portions appropriate for weight loss.
  • UltraHealthSeeker
    UltraHealthSeeker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post asking for opinions! I love reading all the differing views on juice diets. When I hear the words "Juice Diet" I can't help but remember the scene in the movie "So I Married an Axe Murderer" with his Mom going on the "Garth Brooks Juice Diet." It's a great flick!

Regarding juice diets in general, you won't be doing yourself any harm provided it is very short-term, and you make sure to take a daily multi-vitamin and some EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids). If you are doing it to kick-start yourself into a longer-term program/routine that provides at least a 500 calorie deficit from the calorie range you usually maintain on, and is sensible, balanced, healthy, and provides all of your necessary nutrients then I think it is a great thing to do!

Having that low of a calorie intake won't do you any favors over the long-term, however. In fact, you run the risk of lowering your metabolism and losing quite a bit of lean body mass in the process. Unless you are on a type of Dr. Supervised Program, you really need to consume no less than 1200 calories per day, as a man. Women can do 1000-1200 but men really need to stay at or above 1200 per day.

So let us know how you do! But don't do it for long! That is my opinion.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    kay86w wrote: »
    I'm about to try a 5 day juice fast soon. Mostly for "reboot" purposes though not to lose weight

Please explain what your rebooting .
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What you're doing is essentially a VLCD, which promotion is disallowed here on MFP.

What are you doing differently this time to reform your normal-food eating habits, so that water weight you lose
    while you're essentially fasting won't come back once you start eating regular food again?
    Or are you planning to stay on this VLCD juice thing the rest of your life (which will be short)?

@kay86w ... what exactly are you "rebooting"???
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    brudius wrote: »
    Greetings All,

I would like to get everyone's opinions on juicing diets. I had done just juice for 10 days and lost 12 pounds previously no solid food at all. Which came back slowly, but did come back when i went to solid foods.

I am on day 2 of the juicing diet and all is going well. This time i am throwing in a few other things in, maybe a hard boiled egg for a snack, or a solid apple.

Apples - 2 medium
    Celery - 4 stalk, large
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber
    Ginger Root - 1 thumb
    Kale - 6 leaf
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit

Depending how i feel that day i may add another cucumber or apple for sweetness. I also do usually a whole lemon. I was debating on trying to mix it up a little and toss in some brewed decaf green tea.

Has anyone done one of this or similar. Any advice on how to continue strong? Any tips?

Are you sure you want everyone's opinions? My experience has been when people come here and ask for opinions, most of the opinions they get make them mad.
  • MKEgal
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This topic of 'juicing' comes up so often here, usually with newbies who haven't learned better yet, that I did a
    blog post on it, quoted below.

Why Juicing Won't Help You Lose Weight

Even if you use the whole fruit/vegetable in your juice, drinking calories results in feeling less full than eating them.
    And juicing takes electricity ($), water for cleanup ($), etc.
    But as always, don't take my word for it.
    Here are some studies.
    Feel free to browse PubMed yourselves.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19110020
    The effect of fruit in different forms on energy intake and satiety at a meal
    "whole apple increased satiety more than applesauce or apple juice... results suggest that solid fruit affects satiety more than pureed fruit or juice, and that eating fruit at the start of a meal can reduce energy intake."
    The abstract has a link to the full article, for free.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6259919
    The role of dietary fiber in satiety, glucose, and insulin: studies with fruit and fruit juice
    "Satiety, assessed by two subjective scoring systems, was greater after whole fruit than after juice and the return of appetite was delayed. With oranges, as previously reported with apples, there was a significantly smaller insulin response to fruit than to juice and less postabsorptive fall in plasma glucose."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17579632
    Effects of food form on appetite and energy intake in lean and obese young adults
    "total daily energy intake was significantly higher ... on days the beverage forms of the high-carbohydrate, -fat and -protein foods were ingested, respectively. This was due more to a weak effect on satiety"
    (IOW, solid foods are more satisfying, even if the liquid form has the same # of calories.)
  • MKEgal
    Options
    brudius wrote:
    Apples - 2 medium
    Celery - 4 stalk, large
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber
    Ginger Root - 1 thumb
    Kale - 6 leaf
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit

I put this into the MFP food diary.
    200g apple = 104 calories
    200g celery = 32 calories
    300g cucumber = 45 calories
    1T ginger = 5 calories
    100g kale = 38 calories
    100g whole lemon = 29 calories
    Total = 253 calories for about 1.5 lb of food.
    Adding tea will do nothing but dilute it & fill you up more.

It's very low fat (2g), very low protein (7g), high carb, high fiber.
    So you're going to be malnourished.
    Adding 1 large egg is 78 calories, 5g fat, 6g protein.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    IMHO, this is really, really, really NOT necessary for weight loss. Making some educated deductions based on the info you provided in your profile (29yo male, height 5'10"ish, weight 375ish) you should be able to successfully lose weight eating 2000-2200 calories a day of real food. Meat, dairy, fruit, vegetables, grain, fat.

• MKEgal
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unless you are on a type of Dr. Supervised Program (sic), you really need to consume no less than 1200 calories
    per day, as a man. Women can do 1000-1200 but men really need to stay at or above 1200 per day.
    Um, no.
    1200 is the minimum for women of average height.
    For men, it's 1500.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Greetings All,

Apples - 2 medium
    Celery - 4 stalk, large
    Cucumber - 1 cucumber
    Ginger Root - 1 thumb
    Kale - 6 leaf
    Lemon - 1/2 fruit

This is all you consume for the whole day? Wow. When I did juicing, I did juice or a smoothie for 2 meals, and a normal 3rd meal (sometimes it was lunch, sometimes dinner.)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Why so many folks make their first post about juicing? Are the regulars are bored and want to troll? Or is there really that many out there that think juicing is a good idea? Just curious....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP if it didn't work for you before, why would you want to do it again? As others have said, juicing is a VLCD, is missing essential nutrients (fat, protein, and fiber among them), leaves you hungry and usually provides temporary water weight loss (usually resulting from lots of time in the bathroom) which comes back when you start eating normal food again, just what you experienced the first time around.

Or you could set a reasonable calorie goal, eat a variety of foods maintaining a deficit, and work toward long term, sustainable results.

I know which one I would choose....
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" is less of a documentary and more of a money maker for the producers.

I highly recommend taking the advice above and reevaluating your plan. This juice diet you're talking about is way under calories for you and will leave you malnourished, susceptible to feeling like crap and getting sick and overall leave you with a quick water weight loss that will always come back.

Stick to eating food, drinking juices for pleasure and counting your calories to maintain the deficit that MFP gave you. It's been proven successful by many people here.
  • brudius
    brudius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    First, let me say thank you for all of the opinions. It is good to hear what people think and different prospectives.

That being said MFP said i should be eating 2340 a day. Even when i am not dieting i don't consume 2340 calories a day. My main problem is that i have a very sedentary lifestyle. I sit in a cubicle and answer phone calls for 9 hours a day.

I mainly want to do this because it will at least give me a jump start to losing weight. On my 15 minute breaks and my 1 hour lunche i try to walk around our large parking lot to burn as many calories as i can. During an average day, it feels impossible to have calories out be more than calories in, unless i only have like 800 calories in.

That many calories for losing? Double check your data and make sure you have it entered correctly. Did you tell MFP that your lifestyle is sedentary? How did you answer the workout question? And how much did you tell it you want to lose per week? Plus, if you height and weight are not correct MFP will not be accurate.

Honestly, the trick to losing excess weight and keeping it off is to train yourself to eat better. This happens gradually. If you try to "jumpstart" anything, you won't really learn how to eat properly and will most likely fail long term.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you succeed.