Lean Cuisines ?

Options
So at the risk of sounding like a complete novice--- which I am ... are lean cuisines actually healthy? I have a pretty hectic schedule and I'm always running around. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, but I sometimes crave pastas and I don't really have time to cook it. Opinions ?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If you're reaching your macro/micro nutrient needs with them included, and can sustain eating that way, then fine. The biggest issue with pre prepped foods is that they usually aren't nutritionally balanced.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty good review at http://www.livestrong.com/article/398688-how-healthy-are-lean-cuisine-frozen-dinners/. I think the biggest problem is the sodium content, but that's an issue with just about any processed foods. They have some good options with lots of veggies, low calories, and plenty of variety. And, since they're prepackaged, you know exactly how many calories you're consuming. I think I lost my first 50 pounds basically relying on Lean Cuisine (and other brands) until I learned to start cooking more from scratch. You can eat quite a bit more if you make it yourself, but it also takes more prep time which it sounds like you're short on.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I have a freezer full of them and they've been very helpful to me for portion control and convenience.

The macro balance in the flavors that I eat are quite close to the MFP default macro balance.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Not really. Not enough food (or vitamins and minerals) for the calories and way too much salt. You'd be much better off (and stay more full) if you made your own food.

If you like them and you're still getting used to normal portions, they're not a terrible way to begin, though. :)

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Perhaps in the beginning it makes sense to have one frozen Lean Cuisine meal a day that you can easily heat up in the microwave.
    Supplement with a green salad or some fruit.
    Soon you will be ready to cook a big batch of pasta on a Saturday, weight it, label it, freeze it, and easily re-heat it during the week.
    Buy some handy dandy containers that stack well in the freezer and fridge.

Learning to take the time to care for yourself is worth everything. :)
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    An occasional frozen meal isn't going to hurt you. I always keep two or three in my freezer for those days where I absolutely feel like doing nothing in the kitchen and have no leftovers. I lost my first 55 pounds by eating frozen meals for lunch--mainly Amy's Organic meals, not because they are organic but because I don't eat meat and Amy's has a lot of veggie options. But, I was getting a lot of sodium, so I wouldn't recommend having them every day. Now I eat a fresh salad and fruit for lunch instead of the frozen meals.

I LOVE the Lean Cuisine cheese tortellini, btw, and the spinach ravioli is tasty too. Not every day, not every week, but every once in a while, usually supplement with fruit or a small salad.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I keep them on hand when things are hectic. I typically add veggies to them.

Chicken Alfredo with broccoli added....yummy.

Not a substitute for cooking though. I do some homemade freezer meals too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I bought some this week. There's a lot going on this week and I didn't want to think about planning my lunch on the days I go into the office. Just going to pack some extra veggies and grab one out of the freezer in the morning. Much lower in calories than anything I would go out and buy during my lunch hour.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They're ok as far as convenience goes, they aren't terribly unhealthy or anything. My problem with all the ones I tried is that they never filled me up, the portions are tiny. I used to add a ton of veggies on top of them, but they still were never very satisfying.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I usually keep a few in the freezer. My problem with them is they are typically very skimpy on the veg and protein. Rarely looks like the picture on the box, but then what product ever does? I usually wind up supplementing it with added veggies.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

I have one as a side dish for my lunch on occasion. A can of tuna in oil goes really well with the butternut squash ravioli. Sweet to counterbalance the salty of the tuna. Add an orange, and I've got a yummy lunch. I actually took a picture at work of this lunch the other day because it was just so yummy and pretty.

ppwz8lzlh923.jpeg

That said...I don't think I could survive on just Lean Cuisines because they really aren't very filling on their own. I always have add things to my meal when I have one. They're good as a part of a meal, in my opinion.
    That's a fantastic lunch. Thanks for the picture.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    They're not necessarily healthy or unhealthy, really. They have a high-ish sodium content, and they may not be overly filling for some people, but that's about it. They're also more expensive than making stuff at home.

None of those things make them bad, though! If you like them, then go ahead and continue eating them :)

If you're typically home on the weekends for a bit, consider batch-cooking and portioning out food for your own freezer meals. I have a gnocchi soup, along with a pot roast with potatoes & carrots, portioned out in my freezer so I have food ready to go. The roast I did in my crockpot, so I didn't even need to do anything other than a few minutes of chopping up carrots. I can easily get 5-6 meals out of each of these, which is awesome.

Food for thought :)

~Lyssa
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Not healthy or unhealthy. Personally they are not enough food for me vs. calorie count. I'd rather eat an entire bag/head of lettuce with veg and cheese than something I can finish in a couple bites.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of frozen meals a week at work. Not a big deal. I try to get ones that have more protein.

Lean Cuisine tastes like cardboard, IMO, though.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think the Amy's "lean" meals or whatever they are might taste a little better. I shove that spaghetti and "meatball" (it's meatless) one in my face when I'm in a serious rush. Pretty good for 220 calories but not enough food for lunch on the regular.
  • melissaschmidt56
    melissaschmidt56 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I add tons of veggies to mine. Usually broccoli. Sometimes you're too hungry to cook and it's a great binge preventer. I'm just not myself when I'm hungry
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I usually get Healthy Choice frozen meals. The Cafe Steamer ones are the best. I can't afford them all the time but life is so easy when you know you've only had 200-290 calories at lunch flat.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do eat frozen meals. I eat organic meat free ones. When there is 40 or more grams of carb, I chop it in half. Then I eat it with a fruit or veggie and some plain fat free yogurt. It's what's for lunch today!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. They have their place in a healthy diet, especially for convenience, but I don't think you should eat them for the bulk of your meals.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Convenient, but high in sodium.
    You can make your own when you do have extra time and control what is going into your food a little bit (ie: sodium and sugar)
    Make your meals and freeze in individual portions. Quick meals at your fingertips.