Should I put my success on Facebook??

I've never really been someone who posts much on Facebook, I use it to talk to people and read articles I'm interested in and that's about it, but I've finally done what I've always wanted to do which is loose weight and now that I've lost about 20kg and am only a couple more kilos away from my goal I want to share my before and after photo and story for my friends and family to see.
Mainly because I want to say thanks for the support I get from everyone day after day for the past few months (literally someone new every day makes a positive comment) and I'm quite proud of myself for once, just completely confident.
However I'm afraid of a few things like offending someone, being inappropriate or coming across as totally up myself or maybe even just pissing someone off like my friend who got mad at me because her mum said "why can't you be more like Maddy" when I got really fit and I felt terrible that she got compared to me by her own mother.
It would be a big thing for me to post a photo of me at my old weight but I would really like to do it!
Anyway I'd love thoughts and opinions on this?
Thanks! :)

Replies

• Why not? There's nothing wrong with celebrating your achievements!

Maybe take some care about how you phrase your post, but your friends should feel happy for you and proud of you for what you've accomplished - and who knows, your before and after pictures might even be inspiration for someone else. I'm sure your friend was more mad at her mum than you for that awful comment!

Be brave :)
  • @HappyCampr1 How nice of those friends to be so supportive of you! :o I'm always suspicious about people's motives for posting snide comments - I think it says more about them than you.

OK, so posting only about weight loss, gym performance etc can be boring for other people, but so can endless pictures of dogs or babies or posts about whatever else it is that other people are into and you're not, it's hardly crime of the century! True friends are happy for each other.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I think I've found your answer: "I've never really been someone who posts much on Facebook..."

Why start now? Answer this question to your satisfaction and act thereon.
  • joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    I do post a fair amount on Facebook - both for personal and business reasons - but have so far avoided any mention of my weight loss/fitness journey. I'm struggling with this issue. How much should others care? What would be my motivation in going public? I will address it eventually, but perhaps not until I have reached a few of my long-term goals. Right now I'm still fighting the day-to-day battles.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Well, the thing is that you really can't predict what people will say. So, I'd say, as long as you're prepared for any off-the-wall reaction, go for it. If not, you might want to hold off. Doesn't mean that your accomplishment isn't noteworthy, just means people don't always know how to properly handle others' success.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    If you have to wonder whether people's reaction will be positive and supportive, then don't post.
    If your Facebook audience is a select group of friends that you know will infuse you with positive energy and will genuinely be happy for you, then by all means.
  • taliasometimes
    taliasometimes Posts: 301 Member
    I would do it. The people who matter will be so proud and supportive.
    also, you may be someone's inspiration, your post could be just that one thing someone really needed to see that morning.

I have seen a before and after online and instantly felt motivated and alive again!
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    I seriously started tracking and working out at the beginning of this year. I never posted anything about that on facebook except for liking and sharing articles or recipes related to a healthy lifestyle. However, when I ran my very first 5k I shared the picture which is my current profile picture and explained what a huge deal it was for me to run that race and how proud I was of myself. I just felt like I needed to share this accomplishment because I felt great that day and to show others that they can reach their goals if they don't give up.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    A friend of mine I have not seen in years as we live in different places and have gone our separate ways posted on facebook that she lost 40 pounds. I look at it as a major accomplishment she shared and enjoyed learning the news.
    It takes a lot of work to lose weight..it is like earning any achievement. Congrats..and post if you wish!!
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    when i get to my final goal weight i will post pics of my beginning weight and before pic... and my after weight and my after pics... but i have been very careful not to post any full body pics of me yet... I have a long way to go still (about 87 to the top of my goal weight range)... I am looking to get to about 160-165 for my final goal weight... I still have to lost 60 pounds to get to my first goal of 100 pounds down.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    edited November 2015
    Post it. It's better than all the political crap on FB.

Seriously you worked hard, most will be very happy for you, if their not well they're not really friends.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    I posted a couple times. I didn't get any negative comments and many people said it helped them get inspired to start. I think it also keeps me accountable. If I post then everyone notices and then I have to keep it up. Part of the reason I have been able to keep my weight down in the three years since I lost it was because I felt accountable to the people I inspired. I am back on here today because I gained a few pounds between vacations and holidays and I feel guilty for not being the role model I should be. I accomplished something that few people do through a combination of luck and hard work and having people notice means I cannot squander it without people noticing that too.
  • MaddyCapon
    MaddyCapon Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I suppose I do have to realise people think what they think and talk what they think all the time but since I'm not there to hear it I don't really care! but it's the positivity I do hear and enjoy since there isn't always much of it in this world. I work in a grocery store with thousands of people passing through every day and a fair few customers have even asked me what I'm doing to look like I do but no one wants to believe me when I tell them my old weight since I hid it well but the progress photos really show it, also talking about it when people ask does make me feel like I need to stay focused on my goal, not that I want to impress them but I don't want to be all talk.
    I'm finally happy for myself so I've decided I'm going to just do it and post the photos! :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Well, let us know how it goes! I think if you speak from your heart about your struggles, it will not come off as arrogant. Everyone loves a good before/after story!

I will warn you of something that has happened to me. When you put it out there, you will get lots of questions on how you did it and people asking for help. Beware of spending hours helping people who dont take it seriously. I cannot tell you how many people have asked for help and how many hours I have wasted. :s
  • DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    I posted my weight loss before and after pics on my birthday in September. I did it mainly to keep myself honest and on track. I got a lot of very nice comments and no rude ones.
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Do it, be proud of your success! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    If you're comfortable with doing it, go for it. I tend to want to post some of my fitness stuff on Facebook but find that people generally don't care. I made an instagram for it and it is a lot more fun. Even though my Facebook friends follow me there, they are not the ones who "like" my photos/updates. You should post if you want to though!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    I'm waiting until I'm closer to my goal weight, but I absolutely will be
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited December 2015
    MaddyCapon wrote: »
    I'm finally happy for myself so I've decided I'm going to just do it and post the photos! :)

Good for you!!

Everyone else posts the stuff that matters to them on Facebook ... why shouldn't you? And if you get negative comments on something you post ... just simply delete those comments. I've done that before! :grin:

Oh, and I did it ... posted my before and after photos on FB. Several of my friends "liked" it. My mother and aunt said something nice about it, and one friend asked how I had done it.
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    I think you should, i have an old co-worker that started posting some of her meals, then her runs, you could see that alot of what she liked and commented on were health and fitness pages. Some of them i started following or reading for inspiration. I havent posted much on facebook, but i did start posting some post workout selfies on instagram on occasion, and my sister in law joined mfp and said it was partly due to seeing my success. So although you may not know it you may help someone else get started.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!