What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It appears a number of people are shocked that I've never eaten a Taco

God knows what they'd think if they found out I'm also unclear what chippotle is :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I can't think of many... unless kale counts? I know it's become popular in recent years but I haven't seen it in supermarkets at all (maybe because I live in the UK) and have no real desire to try it anyway.

It's in all the big supermarkets, usually near the prepared veg. I don't blame you for not having the desire to try it though LOL! I only like it occasionally in smoothies.

There are lots of things that I haven't tried, but nothing that I won't try (food-wise!). Yesterday I had my first every roasted cauliflower thanks to MFPers, and I loved it - much 'nuttier' than steamed.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    bacon. because jewish.

Not even turkey bacon?

That's not bacon.

I can't think of anything "common" that I've never tried.

True, but it is an OK approximation

No, no it's not. ;)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

God knows what they'd think if they found out I'm also unclear what chippotle is :)
    The rabbit has lead a sadly sheltered life in the warren. :)

I'm also a try-anything-once kind of person.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Gasp! Just kidding. Chipotle is a "Mexican grille" restaurant that sells tacos, burritos, fajitas, and a couple of other things. It's name is commonly mispronounced as "chi-pole-tee" where I live, which drives me batty. You stand in line and tell them what to put on it and they warm the tortilla and add the fillings in front of you. It's a bit of a step above regular fast food but not a sit down service restaurant. They are also noisy because their decor is a bit industrial, with nothing to absorb the sound. And, as with most American eateries, the portions are quite large.

I can't think of any common foods that I haven't tried. There are probably some that are common in other areas that I haven't tried simply because I haven't heard of them.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

I'm not even sure what a taco is, and used to think chippotle was a mis-spelling of chipolata :-/
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Oooh just thought of a common food that I have no intention of ever trying! Jellied eels. Just no.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I have ARFID, so lots of foods, probably more than I want to list.

I don't have it as bad as some, in that some people can only eat single foods and I can at least eat any meat, most grains, and some fruit and vegetables. Still, eating a new food typically causes me to vomit the first time, even if it's a food I will eventually come to love. It typically takes me three or four different times eating the food before I no longer get nausea or panic.

I try to force myself to eat new foods, but I guess two common ones I've never had would be mushrooms or rice.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Oooh just thought of a common food that I have no intention of ever trying! Jellied eels. Just no.

Where is this a common food? (Based on your username I'm guessing England? I've just never heard of it.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

A chipotle is a smoked jalapeno pepper. There is a restaurant chain in the US that has taken that as its name.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Where is this a common food? (Based on your username I'm guessing England? I've just never heard of it.)

Yes England, and mainly in the East End of London. Growing up, it was pretty much a staple for a seafood supper on Sundays, but I'd just eat the prawns (shrimp to US), cockles and winkles.

Eels_1385.JPG
  • pierlow
    pierlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mashmarrow... I don't even know how to spell it correctly lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Calamari. I am suspicious about any seafood anyway, and the tentacles just don't do it for me.

It's delicious.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Cor blimey, look at them jellied eels ... brings back memories of Walthamstow market on a Saturday, fish stalls with buckets of live eels at the side and the old jellied eel, pie and 'liquor' (mushy peas?) shop. Never tried em though, and never will.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Liver. I just won't.
    Ugh, yeah, you're certainly not missing anything. Continue saving yourself. Growing up, my mother made liver and onions at least twice a month and I came from a house where we ate what was put in front of us, or we sat there until bedtime and if we still didn't eat it, we went to bed hungry. After the first time eating it, I went to bed hungry many other times she cooked it. And the smell. OMG. Like something dead and rotting in our kitchen.

My mom made it too and we all had to try it. Only my eldest brother could get it down so that was one meal she eventually made for herself and him and Dad (who couldn't stomach liver either) would cook burgers for the rest. Otherwise we ate what everyone else ate.

My mother hated it so we never had it. I was curious about it, so made it (from a cookbook) one time when my mom was out of town, since my dad had always said he loved it. I ended up loving it too, and we (yes, this is wrong) lied to my younger sister about what it was and she liked it too.

The things I hated as a kid are all super common foods, like canned tuna (I like pretty much all other seafood except catfish) and packaged bread and cold cereal. I was a weirdo.

Still love liver and onions. Don't have it nearly enough.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

A chipotle is a smoked jalapeno pepper. There is a restaurant chain in the US that has taken that as its name.
    There's an Office Space Michael Bolton quote that's very appropriate here but I'm not going to give the hypersensitive a reason to report me. It's easy enough to find.

Also, @rabbitjb, if you haven't eaten a taco by the time of my daughter's senior trip over there, we'll make you one if we have to smuggle the proper ingredients through customs.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Cor blimey, look at them jellied eels ... brings back memories of Walthamstow market on a Saturday, fish stalls with buckets of live eels at the side and the old jellied eel, pie and 'liquor' (mushy peas?) shop. Never tried em though, and never will.

Hehehe nearly every pub in Stepney had a fish stall outside, and my brothers used to scare me with the live eels as we passed (gits!). Liquor is parsley sauce btw.
  • jemhh
    Options
    pierlow wrote: »

Marshmallow?

marshmallow.jpg

marshmallow_nightmares_-4e60d43-intro.jpg

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Eels (jellied or otherwise) aren't common around here. I haven't tried them jellied, but I was excited to try them (and liked what I ordered) when I saw them on a menu during a business trip to Hamburg.

I mean, if people eat a surfeit of them and die, they must be good.
  • pierlow
    pierlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    pierlow wrote: »

Marshmallow?

marshmallow.jpg

marshmallow_nightmares_-4e60d43-intro.jpg

Yeah right~ this stuff