What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Cor blimey, look at them jellied eels ... brings back memories of Walthamstow market on a Saturday, fish stalls with buckets of live eels at the side and the old jellied eel, pie and 'liquor' (mushy peas?) shop. Never tried em though, and never will.

Hehehe nearly every pub in Stepney had a fish stall outside, and my brothers used to scare me with the live eels as we passed (gits!). Liquor is parsley sauce btw.

Oh, wondered what the liquor was! Yeah, those nightmare buckets - then at the end of market day there'd be a few heads in the gutter ... yuk!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Kidneys. It just seems gross to eat something that creates urine.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Steak and kidney pie is awesome!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Steak and kidney pie is awesome!

And now I want steak and kidney pie and chips
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Steak. I stopped eating meat when I was 14 and never tried it before that.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. I just can't. Just the thought... *herk!*
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Hard boiled eggs. I just can't. Just the thought... *herk!*

Totally agree. Also - yogurt. Being around it gives me the gag reflex. I put some plain yogurt in soup one time, and ended up giving the pot of soup away.

• Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have never eaten Quinoa, even though it seems to be 'all the rage' at the moment.

For something of a local speciality..I have never had Laverbread (It's a Welsh thing ;) )
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    ach_75 wrote: »
    I have never eaten Quinoa, even though it seems to be 'all the rage' at the moment.

For something of a local speciality..I have never had Laverbread (It's a Welsh thing ;) )

I haven't had laverbread for years, but would kill for a Welsh cake right now!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options

My OH mother makes them on her Rayburn...yum yum....and now I want one (or 3!)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

My OH mother makes them on her Rayburn...yum yum....and now I want one (or 3!)

My mum used to make them on a big circle of cast iron. Asda sell them but they aren't the same :-(
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin is the big one for me. Never had a slice of pumpkin pie, never had a pumpkin muffin and certainly never tried a pumpkin flavored coffee. Also, calamari is a big Nope also. Its often ordered by friends when we go out and I admit it looks good, but once the word tentacle is mentioned I am alll set!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I've never had quinoa before either. I don't eat seafood, except tuna and haddock. I've never tried anything else because of the ick factor, so, yeah, that's weird of me. Can't bring myself to eat an oyster or a shrimp. Eel? Uh, no thanks.

I have tried pumpkin, but don't like it. I've never tried sweet potatoes or avocado.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Kale. Just doesn't appeal to me, although I guess I could have ordered some dish at a restaurant that had some in it, who knows.

I think I've tried pretty much every common food I can think of otherwise (doesn't mean I like it though).

In the uncommon kind I'd say frog leg or bugs...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on what you'd define as 'common'...especially considering 'common' changes a lot depending on ethnicity and geographic location.

For example, being stuck smack dab in the middle of USA - there's a lot of types of seafood I haven't tried, but more as a result of good, fresh seafood being not too common around these parts.

I've never had 'poutine' as a dish, but I've had french fries, cheese curds, and gravy separately.

I've never had liver or any organ meat - that's probably about as 'common' a food item as I can think of.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Oooh just thought of a common food that I have no intention of ever trying! Jellied eels. Just no.

Where is this a common food? (Based on your username I'm guessing England? I've just never heard of it.)

Yes England, and mainly in the East End of London. Growing up, it was pretty much a staple for a seafood supper on Sundays, but I'd just eat the prawns (shrimp to US), cockles and winkles.

Eels_1385.JPG

yuk, gipping just looking at that jellied eel not something I'm ever willing to try.

I've never had boiled or pickled red cabbage. It was the one vegetable my mum didn't like or cook so I've never had it as a child and I've just never had the inclination to give it a go as an adult.

I'm very much on the if it doesn't smell nice I'm not going to eat it, prime examples that fall under that rule brussels sprouts and broad beans yuk.

Also don't do any kind of organ meat, ive tried liver as a child but it wasn't nice and that was as extreme as I'm willing to go in that category.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Any organ meats, pretty much any fruit pies since I don't like mushy fruit I just imagine pie as mushy fruit with crust, Almost all seafood, Brussels sprouts. Probably a laundry list more but, you get the jist.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Most seafood. It doesn't appeal to me.
    Most alcoholic drinks. Too expensive, don't like the effects, would rather drink other things.
    Most coffee drinks. I don't drink coffee and feel a lot of those drinks are too expensive/fussy.
    I can't think of any other super common thing here that I haven't at least tried.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about food common enough that people are usually pretty shocked that you've never tried it.

Mine's not that good, but I've never eaten shrimp or really any seafood other than fish. I just stopped eating animals before I ever had it..

What about you?

I don't think there's any common New England food I haven't tried at least once.

I haven't had a lot of the foods Anthony Bourdain eats, but they are not common here.