What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I have also never had coffee of any kind. I have almost tried it a few time but, I get it up to my face and chicken out from the smell.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I have also never had coffee of any kind. I have almost tried it a few time but, I get it up to my face and chicken out from the smell.

Really? There are days where I wish I had never tried it. I used to think it smelled gross when I was younger but then I tried it and it's all downhill from there. There's almost nothing better than the smell of fresh brewed coffee to me now. I actually have a French vanilla latte wax melt going in my living room right now. It smells like a coffee shop in here.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on what you'd define as 'common'...especially considering 'common' changes a lot depending on ethnicity and geographic location.

For example, being stuck smack dab in the middle of USA - there's a lot of types of seafood I haven't tried, but more as a result of good, fresh seafood being not too common around these parts.

I've never had 'poutine' as a dish, but I've had french fries, cheese curds, and gravy separately.

I've never had liver or any organ meat - that's probably about as 'common' a food item as I can think of.

I've never had cheese curds!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Steak and kidney pie is awesome!

Yeah... I still don't want to try it. I'd eat it i served it at someon'es home out of manners, but I'm just not going to seek it out.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..this is a tough one for me. There's a lot of uncommon things I haven't tried. I'm going to think about it while at the gym. As if I don't think about food enough as it is.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Some people live by them here in Wisconsin. I rather have a mozzarella stick than a cheese curd.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are more but those that come to mind are clams (slimy looking things) and lamb (just doesn't appeal).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Really? There are days where I wish I had never tried it. I used to think it smelled gross when I was younger but then I tried it and it's all downhill from there. There's almost nothing better than the smell of fresh brewed coffee to me now. I actually have a French vanilla latte wax melt going in my living room right now. It smells like a coffee shop in here.

Even when I was younger I thought it smelled delicious. I wanted to drink it for years before I did, because I wanted something that tasted like it smelled. Then I started drinking it toward the end of college (with LOTS of milk) for the caffeine and quickly started to like it and eventually decided to cut out the milk, and now (and for a long time) like it better black.

I wish I loved it a little less than I do, true. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Probably depends on what you'd define as 'common'...especially considering 'common' changes a lot depending on ethnicity and geographic location.

For example, being stuck smack dab in the middle of USA - there's a lot of types of seafood I haven't tried, but more as a result of good, fresh seafood being not too common around these parts.

I've never had 'poutine' as a dish, but I've had french fries, cheese curds, and gravy separately.

I've never had liver or any organ meat - that's probably about as 'common' a food item as I can think of.

Mmm, cheese curds.

I've never had poutine, but as juggernaut said (he lives sort of close to me), it's not common here, although I did go to a restaurant with a poutine burger the week before last. Cheese curds are common -- I buy them at the farmer's market and the grocery store. Probably because of that state directly to the north of me.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just tried my first raw oyster this summer. Other than Durian, balut eggs and rocky mountain oysters, I'm pretty adventurous and would give anything a chance once. I was a picky eater as a kid but now I love almost all food!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I thought of one--sushi.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ive never had a poptart or red velvet cake and im pretty sure id love both lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

Never had red velvet cake either. Or twinkies.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've never eaten lobster before, the smell completely turns me off. I used to work in a restaurant and hated bringing the dirty lobster plates to the backroom- the smell would be all over my hands and make my nauseous. BTW I'm not a picky eater at all so this surprises me as much as it does my family when they try to make me eat some.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

Never had red velvet cake either. Or twinkies.

Haha Ive only had a deep fried twinkie and it was amazing :joy:
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried most types of fish, because every type of fish I have tried tasted like fish to me, and I don't like fish.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts, nope not for me.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I am really weird about hot beverages. It is like my tongue doesn't know what to do. It like guards my mouth so I rarely drink anything hot except maybe like one or 2 hot chocolates a year. Otherwise I burn my tongue.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food, only thing I can think of I would never try, would be freaky meats (dog, Guinea pig, monkey... You get the gist)

I have tried snails, kimchi, oysters, whale, elk, reindeer, even tried lutefisk which is vile btw smalahovud, tastes better than it looks, dried fish and the list goes on.
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my whole life, was often made to eat chicken as a kid, or go hungry. Have tried beef as mince, but basically swallowed not chewed, just really don't like meat! Have never had lamb or fish or pork or any other meaty substance. Lol
    I eat most vegetables, fruits, grains, beans etc.
    Absolutely detest mushroom! Yuk!