Any one changing to a mostly vegetarian diet?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I know overweight people who follow every single diet. You need to find a method that will enable you to reach your goals with your beliefs. Personally, I feel the only reason to eliminate foods is because you dont like them or have ethical issues. I am and will always be a big meat eater and it is too good to give up. I do, however, recognize other ways of eating.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Not for me.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    bbgun714 wrote: »
    bbgun714 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm 100% vegan, and it's the best feeling in the world. I have no problem getting protein, even when I'm lazy and have a day where I only eat fruit and baked potatoes my protein still reaches the limit. My skin is way clearer, I have a ton of energy without drinking coffee or tea, and my asthma has actually gotten better. Choosing not to eat meat is great, but eliminating dairy and eggs is even better for you. If you have any questions, please reply!

Are you hitting MFP's default protein goal on fruit and baked potatoes or did you custom set your goal? I have been vegan for 9 years and I do believe it's totally possible to meet protein needs without animal products. But I'm not sure how you're hitting the default goal on fruit and baked potatoes.

You'd be surprised, everything has protein.

Everything has protein, but that doesn't mean that eating fruit and baked potatoes will put you at your protein goal. Again, are you using the default goal for protein?

Yeah, I'm not seeing how to hit anything but a ridiculously low protein target on that food.

Ovo-lacto veggie here. Who does get her protein. I supplement with protein products (mostly because they're convenient and I'm busy) to do it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My diet is mostly plant based and has always been (out of preference). Meat and chicken are an occasional occurrence for me. I only eat meat on holidays, when someone in the house happens to cook a dish with meat that I don't hate, or when I go out for burgers or kebabs. I eat chicken slightly more often, about twice a month or so.

Why am I telling you this? I'm a person who used to weigh more than 300 pounds (308 to be exact). I got there eating that way and I got out of there eating that way. Eating mostly vegetarian does not mean you will lose weight, if that's why you are doing it. You will still need to watch your calories. If on the other hand you have your own personal reasons to stop eating meat you're in for a world of exciting experimentation. Many people don't realize how amazing some vegetarian recipes taste. Trust me, the transition will not be as hard as you imagine it to be.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Eating mostly vegetarian does not mean you will lose weight, if that's why you are doing it. You will still need to watch your calories. If on the other hand you have your own personal reasons to stop eating meat you're in for a world of exciting experimentation. Many people don't realize how amazing some vegetarian recipes taste. Trust me, the transition will not be as hard as you imagine it to be.

Yes, yes, yes.

While this is not a requirement of their way of eating, sadly many meat-eaters simply do not maximize their potential for fruit and (especially) vegetable enjoyment. (Ask most folks what they're having for dinner, and the answer is one word: The name of a type of meat. "Chicken" "Pork" "Steak".) Booorrrrring.

Not all omnivores eat/think this way, but many do. They're missing out. (And yes, I get that us veggies miss out on meat. I was happily married for decades to a hunter. (Widowed, not divorced, BTW, before someone formulates a witty response to this.))

And the meat eaters who (mysteriously to me) report on MFP that they're having difficulty getting enough protein could benefit from some vegetable adventuring, too, in the form of vegetable-protein foods. Good stuff.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Eating mostly vegetarian does not mean you will lose weight, if that's why you are doing it. You will still need to watch your calories. If on the other hand you have your own personal reasons to stop eating meat you're in for a world of exciting experimentation. Many people don't realize how amazing some vegetarian recipes taste. Trust me, the transition will not be as hard as you imagine it to be.

Yes, yes, yes.

While this is not a requirement of their way of eating, sadly many meat-eaters simply do not maximize their potential for fruit and (especially) vegetable enjoyment. (Ask most folks what they're having for dinner, and the answer is one word: The name of a type of meat. "Chicken" "Pork" "Steak".) Booorrrrring.

Not all omnivores eat/think this way, but many do. They're missing out. (And yes, I get that us veggies miss out on meat. I was happily married for decades to a hunter. (Widowed, not divorced, BTW, before someone formulates a witty response to this.))

And the meat eaters who (mysteriously to me) report on MFP that they're having difficulty getting enough protein could benefit from some vegetable adventuring, too, in the form of vegetable-protein foods. Good stuff.

I believe that more pertains to the general population.... because generally those who are trying to lose weight will focus more on nutrient dense foods.

At my house, i am always looking to find delicious veggie recipes...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, yes, yes.

I believe that more pertains to the general population.... because generally those who are trying to lose weight will focus more on nutrient dense foods.

At my house, i am always looking to find delicious veggie recipes...

Here too...and I have veggies in just about every meal....please pass on any good veggie recipe's! Always on the lookout for something new! xo
  • runner10123
    runner10123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been a lacto ovo vegetarian for almost 3 years. I simply do not like the taste of meat anymore. However, I have no problem being around it, other people cooking it, etc. I've walked through the meat section of the grocery store numerous times to avoid crowds on the other side of the store, haha. No problems there. I love recipes in general and talking about cooking whether it involves meat or not.

As far as protein. I find greek yogurt gives me a nice boost of protein in the morning and helps keep me fuller longer. Beans and lentils are another staple in my diet. I love making chili and soups which are very easy to add beans (protein and fiber) and almost any vegetable to. It also helps that it makes a ton and provides leftovers.
  • DocStar127
    DocStar127 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been eating according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan, as outlined in his book. It's easy enough guidelines-90% nutrient-dense food that grows in the ground and no more than 10%calories from other sources (animal products, processed foods, sugar, oil). It's not too hard to follow. I log every day and am consistently under 1600 cal. I lost 5 lbs the first week and leveled to 2-3. I am at a bmi of 32 so have 60 lb to lose, to give context.
    I see from comments the concerns about getting enough protein. The RDAs for protein are based off of a government sponsored, corporate driven recommendation. Agribusiness, which really is dominated by meat and dairy, want us to eat as much of these products as possible, even though scientific studies show they have many detrimental effects on our health. Dr. Fuhrman suggests the need for protein is actually lower, about 40-60 g per day being adequate. A diet based in greens and beans easily gets to this. I get at least 40 g per day but not the 85 MFP sets for me. I ignore that.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DocStar127 wrote: »
    I get at least 40 g per day but not the 85 MFP sets for me. I ignore that.

You could change your protein goal by going to goals and playing around with the percentage. With that said, more protein is not a bad thing, especially for someone who is trying to lose weight. The more muscle mass you manage to preserve the better your results will look, and for that protein is key. It's not that protein is hard to hit for vegetarian, it's just that it's much easier to do on a diet that includes meat. For vegetarians struggling to hit their protein goal I have one word. Lupins! They make a perfect snack and they have more than 20 grams of protein in a 200 calorie cup.

Edit: after checking it's actually 26 grams of protein per cup, and 193 calories.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DocStar127 wrote: »
    I have been eating according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan, as outlined in his book. It's easy enough guidelines-90% nutrient-dense food that grows in the ground and no more than 10%calories from other sources (animal products, processed foods, sugar, oil). It's not too hard to follow. I log every day and am consistently under 1600 cal. I lost 5 lbs the first week and leveled to 2-3. I am at a bmi of 32 so have 60 lb to lose, to give context.
    I see from comments the concerns about getting enough protein. The RDAs for protein are based off of a government sponsored, corporate driven recommendation. Agribusiness, which really is dominated by meat and dairy, want us to eat as much of these products as possible, even though scientific studies show they have many detrimental effects on our health. Dr. Fuhrman suggests the need for protein is actually lower, about 40-60 g per day being adequate. A diet based in greens and beans easily gets to this. I get at least 40 g per day but not the 85 MFP sets for me. I ignore that.

There are plenty of actual studies that support the RDA standards are NOT adequate to support more retention, especially while losing weight. Keep in mind that Dr. Fuhrman is selling a lifestyle and books... he is going to cherry pick science to support his lifestyle and it may not align to the latest science out there. The current recommendations based on a lot of science is .8 to 1g per lb of lean body mass... which equates to about .6 to .8g of pro per lb of mass.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/869015/fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823505/research-on-protien-intake

• kandryski
    kandryski Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, not milk or dairy but I've recently added eggs to my diet as I need 144g of protein for my macros. If you have any questions or thoughts you can message me !!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    A year ago I stopped 'dieting' and just started eating for better health. A strange think happened. As a life meat eater I now eat little meat living in a state of Nutritional Ketosis. I do eat eggs and dairy and have to keep protein <70 grams daily to keep down my blood glucose levels so I can stay in a state of Nutritional Ketosis.

There was no plan to back off meats as I have down. They were just working against my goal of eating for better health. If I wind up at a potluck meal that is mostly low fat, carbs and protein I will get mainly meat if I am really hungry.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I could not do it! Love meat too much and how it fills me up! I did have one pregnancy out of three where I did go almost 100% meat free. Could still handle dairy and eggs and I think I ate steak twice, but for the most part it made me heave. I got really good at veggie food choices and learned a lot! I still cook those meals occasionally but find that they just do not fill us up! I have three boys ages 8-15yo and a husband. I find I can cook a vegetarian meal with calories per serving that match our usual meat filled meals and they are hungry an hour later and destroying the kitchen. So meat is still heavy in our meal planning. It does help that we raise our own free range organic animals. Beef, chickens, Turkey, lamb, and occasionally pork. I don't have to worry about our meat sources!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I went veggie about 14 years ago, dairy-free about 4 years ago, and only wish I'd done it sooner ... stopped eating meat on the day I started cooking from a vegetarian cookbook bought on impulse and loved the recipes so much I never ate meat again. My meals are healthier, tastier and more filling now yet I never get that awful 'heavy' feeling that used to be there after a meaty meal. Any thought of meat now makes me nauseous, even the smell of it in supermarkets; I avoid the meat aisles of course but sometimes the stench of cooking chickens is all over the store ... yukkkk. I won't eat eggs again either, will not support an industry that deals with the billions of unwanted male chicks by either dropping them alive into a bucket and letting them slowly suffocate or dropping them alive into a macerator.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Isn't 'mostly vegetarian' just code for 'plant based omnivore diet' most of the time? If you still eat meat, even only occasionally, you're not a vegetarian.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Isn't 'mostly vegetarian' just code for 'plant based omnivore diet' most of the time? If you still eat meat, even only occasionally, you're not a vegetarian.

That's just semantics. We all know what that term means.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Nope. Meats are the most nutritionally dense foods out there and since they are all protein and fat, they are quite filling too.

Not so, dark leafy greens such as kale and chard are actually the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. And there are also MANY ways of getting protein other than meat, it's in so many plants it's amazing.

I changed to vegan this year on August 7th and have never looked back. I never liked eating animals my whole life and rarely did, but I did consume animal products. So basically no more eggs and dairy for me, and my body is already rejoicing. I have lost weight, and I have so much energy it's crazy.

I recommend going at least vegetarian, your body will thank you :smile:

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    Nope. Meats are the most nutritionally dense foods out there and since they are all protein and fat, they are quite filling too.

Not so, dark leafy greens such as kale and chard are actually the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. And there are also MANY ways of getting protein other than meat, it's in so many plants it's amazing.

I changed to vegan this year on August 7th and have never looked back. I never liked eating animals my whole life and rarely did, but I did consume animal products. So basically no more eggs and dairy for me, and my body is already rejoicing. I have lost weight, and I have so much energy it's crazy.

Lots of protein and dietary fats in that kale, huh?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »

Very few vegan foods have complete proteins. And most importantly, and i cant stress this, comparing one food vs another is a terrible argument because it takes an entire diet to address all nutritional requirements. You can be healthy with any dietary preference.