something has gone wrong with my FACE!

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    So, on toxins. When I was breastfeeding I was told by nurses and docs not to lose weight too fast. Toxins stored in our fat cells find their way out through our sweat and other excretions when the fat cells are broken down. So the toxins were excreted in breast milk as well. I have always just assumed the same with working out, losing weight and acne. Off to do some reading.

What sort of toxins are being stored in your fat cells?
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I changed how I ate dramatically (went from eating whatever to a very strict elimination diet for medical reasons) my normally clear skin was broken out for 2 weeks straight. It settled down after that though.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    When I first started a healthy lifestyle I also saw a huge increase in acne. Its not toxins being pushed out of your face , it just doesn't work like that. Its likely due to starting more physical activity. My dermatologist said to be sure I wash my face before and after exercise. Its important because your sweating . so be sure to wash your face before and after. Also , if you see that sweat is pouring down from your hairline then wear a thick headband or sweatband around your hair to help prevent the extra hair oil and head sweat from running onto your face.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't know... When I changed my woe my skin cleared up. If you continue to break out I would guess you are eating something that doesn't agree with you.

Let me guess...
    Your vote would be that the carbs are making the ops face break out and that going low carb would cure her acne issues ? Just figured I'd ask....
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    So, on toxins. When I was breastfeeding I was told by nurses and docs not to lose weight too fast. Toxins stored in our fat cells find their way out through our sweat and other excretions when the fat cells are broken down. So the toxins were excreted in breast milk as well. I have always just assumed the same with working out, losing weight and acne. Off to do some reading.

That would be why I said I was off to do some reading. I was just quoting what my health care team told me through three pregnancies. I can find reference to the info (as posted in my post below the original). But I cannot find specifics.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone

Well i am writing on here as i need to know if this theory is right......

Basically been dieting now for near on a month, and my skin on my face is the WORST its ever been. constant painful spots, scarring my face a bit.....

I drink enough water, i get the right vitamins....

My theory is.... i have these spots because its all the crap being pushed out of my skin.....

Please tell me this is right, and that this will not carry on.... Its embarrassing, painful, and really not nice.

This is very odd. If you are having painful spots and scaring on your face, you need to get to the doctor asap.

I also think you need to speak with your doctor about a referral to a therapist because you believe this condition is due to "all that crap" being pushed out of your skin. Realistically, that would never happen.

I wish you the best of luck.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Can you afford to see a dermatologist? I don't think it's toxins pushing themselves out.

And, this because it could just be acne.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Ok so when I started lifting I tried REALLY hard to get to 120g of protien (1g/ 1lb lean body weight). My face went NUTS. I had red painful splotches all over and I freaked. After freaking, I figured that my body was just reacting to the very sudden change in activity and dietary intake. It had been doing just fine with high carb low movement and now it was freaking out. It cleared up after about 2 weeks.

For the record, I don't wear make up or anything and use really gentle soap so those would not have been the issue for me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I love the idea upthread ( @janejellyroll ) to wash your makeup off before working out. That would be an inexpensive thing to try. I was also thinking hormone imbalance. If you've lost a lot of weight quickly there could be more hormones coursing through your system.

I see advice to both increase your fat intake and reduce your fat intake. You could try both; not at the same time of course, but I suspect diet modifying won't do much for you.

I'm actually a bit intrigued by both ideas.

If fat intake has increased recently, she may be touching her face more during food eating and prep and getting those oils onto her skin. In which case she just needs to be a bit more careful about touching the face and also may need to wash her hands more frequently

If fat intake has reduced sharply, she may have limited fat needed for absorbing nutrients in a lot of fruit/vegetables in her diet. Some of those nutrients are very good for skin but simply go right through the body without the necessary fat to absorb them into her system.

OP, how many total calories, and also grams of fat are you typically eating per day?
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Ah, the curious case of

6PZMCAX.gif

Dieting can temporarily mess around with your hormone balance (especially during a woman's menstrual cycle.)

It should get better with time but if not try upping your calories and fat intake.

this ^

But also, sex hormones i.e. Estrogen etc are fat soluble so as you are losing fat stores they can be released messing up hormone balance which can affect your skin ( like in puberty, sorry).

⬆Likely a hormonal issue considering it came on once you started losing weight. Estrogen, but mostly progesterone have an affect on the dermis. Many woman have acne clear when taking birth control, because hormones are routinely balanced. Give it a bit of time and eat a a balanced diet before changing things around too much. Like many have already said, sex hormones are fat base, the reason female athletes lose their period if they dip below a certain % of body fat (different for all).
    Personal experience, I break out in my T zone whenever I go off hormonal birth control, completely clear on a progesterone/ Estrogen combo pill. Often breakout when I eat a low fat diet. The texture of my hair and moisture in my skin is best on a moderate to higher fat diet, about 35% daily.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hello everyone

Basically been dieting now for near on a month, and my skin on my face is the WORST its ever been. constant painful spots, scarring my face a bit.....

My theory is.... i have these spots because its all the crap being pushed out of my skin.....

Please tell me this is right, and that this will not carry on.... Its embarrassing, painful, and really not nice.

This is very odd. If you are having painful spots and scaring on your face, you need to get to the doctor asap.

I also think you need to speak with your doctor about a referral to a therapist because you believe this condition is due to "all that crap" being pushed out of your skin. Realistically, that would never happen.

I wish you the best of luck.

I don't need a therapist thankyou, everyone is entitled to thoughts. My thought does not require a therapist.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I love the idea upthread ( @janejellyroll ) to wash your makeup off before working out. That would be an inexpensive thing to try. I was also thinking hormone imbalance. If you've lost a lot of weight quickly there could be more hormones coursing through your system.

I see advice to both increase your fat intake and reduce your fat intake. You could try both; not at the same time of course, but I suspect diet modifying won't do much for you.

OP, how many total calories, and also grams of fat are you typically eating per day?

Hello, I'm eating around 45g fat a day roughly
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    Options

And 1100 - 1200 calories
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I'm going to go with, taking make up off before exercise, and using a milder cleanser :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

To be fair, that's not necessarily a statement that requires a referral to a therapist. Just like there are common myths in the weight loss world like "starvation mode", in the world of skincare there is a terrible myth that starting a new skincare routine, even by changing your diet or drinking more water, will cause skin to "purge" and your skin will breakout before it gets better. It's a load of crap. If something works for your skin it will simply clear up, not worsen before it improves. Many people have fallen victim to this instead of realizing that it's simply untrue.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

organochlorines and pesticides.
    http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/1/46.full

Note that the correlation is only limited to a few molecules in this study.

However, I disagree that these molecules "find their way out our sweat." No, we don't sweat organochlorines.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

organochlorines and pesticides.
    http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/content/67/1/46.full

Note that the correlation is only limited to a few molecules in this study.

However, I disagree that these molecules "find their way out our sweat." No, we don't sweat organochlorines.

What I found of interest is the apparent correlation between weight loss and a decrease in serum T3. I have Hashimoto's and I was thinking of getting my levels checked because I've been feeling especially sluggish of late. I have lost 75 lbs in the past ten months, with about another 10 or 15 to go to goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

And 1100 - 1200 calories

That isn't a lot of calories for someone who goes to the gym? How tall are you? And based on your picture, you dont have a lot to lose, so you don't want a huge deficit. It will make it harder to maintain your muscle mass which is what actually makes you appear lean.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone

Don't listen to anyone on here, go see a doctor in regards to your issue.

Sounds like your hormones are out of wack and you might need estrogen, but I haven't seen your blood work so what do I know??!?!?