What common food have you never tried? Why not?

Options

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/fruits-and-veggies-etc

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.
    http://www.listchallenges.com/huffington-posts-list-of-50-healthiest-foods

Of the fruits and veggies I've eaten 146 of the 150

Of the 50 healthiest, I've eaten all but one

And that should nicely sum up what foods I don't try. Usual or unusual, I'll give it a try.

• healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Coffee (not really a food, but whatever), spinach, kale
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

Just for fun ... are we allowed to post these things here?

This is one of these List Challenges about how many fruits and veg we've eaten ... my score: 98/150. :) When it gets into different colours of certain veg, I may have only had 1 or 2 colours, and I haven't tried as much in the way of leafy green stuff as what they've got there.

And the 50 Healthiest Foods (supposedly) ... my score: 43/50. And this revealed to me that, among other things, I have never tried sardines, endamame, kefir, and shiitake mushrooms. Sardines and mushrooms are a big NO for me ... and I'm not sure I've ever seen endamame and kefir.

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

123 of 150 on the first one (fruits and veggies), 48 of 50 on the second one ("healthiest foods").

Saw nothing on either list that I wouldn't eat, just a few I haven't gotten around to yet (or didn't know existed).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've had most fruits and veg and like most of them ... yep, even broad beans, brussel sprouts, beetroot, and pumpkin (both sweet and savoury). :) The only fruit that springs to mind which I haven't tried, and am a little bit reluctant about is durian. Oh, I also haven't had quince, but it isn't easy to find. Both of those aren't terribly common.

Edit: I just looked it up and I have had endamame. We might even have some in our freezer right now. I just knew it as soybean pods or something like that.

For fruits and veggies I was 129 / 150.There were a few berries I'd never heard of or tried, and a brown pepper? Huh.

For the "healthiest" foods I was 50 /50. Healthiest though? Skim milk over whole milk? You gotta be kidding me.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

129/150 but I would try all of the 21 I haven't tried if I had the opportunity to. Just have never seen them available, to try them.
    50/50 for healthiest food but not interested in kale (would eat if served it but won't make it myself) or red wine (taste okay but just not interested in alcohol).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Interesting lists. I got 105 of 150 on the first, but only because the rest of the items I have never seen sold here. I have tried every single vegetable that I laid my eyes on, latest being kale. I like it, but I would not buy again because it's too expensive for the amount (about 7 dollars per 100 grams).

The second list I got 47 of 50, for the same reasons. I have never seen brussel sprouts or edamame (or sunflower sprouts, whatever that is).

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Never had a hamburger or steak or any other meat other than chicken and hot dogs. I can't stand the taste and that's why I became a vegetarian at a young age.
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've never tried sushi, don't like the look of it,also liver,kidney,black pudding :s
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Ive never had a poptart or red velvet cake and im pretty sure id love both lol

Eh, red velvet cake is just cake with red food dye and cocoa, so no need to bucket list it :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/14/dining/red-velvet-cake-from-gimmick-to-american-classic.html

Not 'just'. For me Red Velvet cake is code for "chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting." A red cake with white frosting all over means it's cream cheese frosting and not any other kind of frosting. Not vanilla icing, not buttercream frosting, not coconut creme. And not cool whip or whipped cream or mirangue. :)
    A brown colored cake with white frosting is a mystery. Though it's likely to be *yawn* buttercream.

A common food I haven't tried are grits. I've always meant to, I wouldn't be opposed to it, but there's just always been something else I'd rather eat.

Also Reuben sandwiches and corned beef and cabbage have always smelled and looked revolting. Even though I like sauerkraut on hotdogs and other stinky cabbage like kimchee, something about corned beef just turns my stomach enough that I can't bring myself to try it.

I like and will try any seafood, even raw oysters, weird sushi concoctions (California rolls don't fall under that, imo), fruits and vegetables, meats. I think I'm pretty adventurous for the most part.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts and any squash. blech. acorn squash and spagetti squash have touched my tongue. shiver.
    117/150 fruits and veggies
    46/50 out of the healthiest foods
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Cool. For the second one I was 47 of 50. I'm resistant to chia seeds (don't see the point and couldn't find them the one time I was going to make a pudding with them), and simply haven't been offered sunflower sprouts or thought to buy kefir (hate drinking calories, no matter what).

The other is too long to do now, but also looks fun.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've never tried raw oysters or raw clams which is surprising since I live so close to the ocean. Have no plans to ever try them.
    My fiance has never tried yogurt. He says he won't try it until I try a raw clam so I guess he won't be trying yogurt then :)
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I won't try liver, snails, oysters, or anything that smells so awful as to make me gag (such as things like sardines, herring, smelly fruits or really smelly cheeses).

I enjoy most vegetables and fruits (minus tomatoes) and have been adventurous enough to try various animals and some animal parts, but I didn't like all of it. Frog legs, I tried, and they were delicious for about 30 seconds before I looked at what I was eating and saw it looked translucent with black veins...almost threw up on the table...I won't eat brains or eyes, kidneys, or most organs since they gross me out. Calamari is yummy provided I don't see the suckers, lol.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

130/150 of the top one. Most of what I haven't tried are the unusual colors of common items like brown bell peppers.

47/50 on the second. 2 of the ones I haven't tried are fish (the other is sunflower sprouts). I do not eat fish although I tried it when it was served at family dinners.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    As far as Red Velvet Cake, Too much food coloring and not enough chocolate. I prefer Red Devil's Food. More cocoa in the batter and you only use a Tbl of food coloring rather than the entire bottle.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Never tried Ramen. Only "common" because Im in college....
    And I had my first real taste of coffee about a month ago
  • PCOS2Fit4Me
    PCOS2Fit4Me Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    People seem shocked when I tell them I have never tried sushi. I just don't know much about what is in it or how to eat it (I can't use chopsticks, tried and failed).

Now I will never try calamari, liver or oysters are just a big no on my list. Never cared for the way they look or smell. Otherwise I'm willing to try something at least once but if it looks or smells funky I will probably NOT try it lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Liver. I just won't.

This!! Also...hot wings (with the bones), ribs, and a lot of game meat like venison...I've also never tried duck or lamb.

I've never tried any beef jerky except for the sausage-like Slim Jim sticks, twenty years ago.

I also have not tried ground turkey since 1997 and people tell me it's improved, but I'll take my chances...shudder

I'm not a vegetarian, either.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried everything mentioned on this thread, including the guinea pig, which was delicious. Not sure if I'm "adventurous" or just a human garbage disposal.

I've never had Spam, though. Or tinned sardines, the smell is too much for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

138/150 of the top one. I'd try the missing ones - haven't ever seen them.

50/50 on the second list. I think at least 50% of those foods are staples for me. Haven't seen sunflower seed sprouts since I lived in a vegetarian community where it was a staple in the salad bar, but maybe I will look for the special sproutable sunflower seeds and sprout some this winter. The Swiss chard and kale in my garden isn't going to last too much longer.

Anybody here sprout sunflower seeds and can recommend a brand with a good germination rate?