Should I put my success on Facebook??

Options

Replies

• FitChick_40
    FitChick_40 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please also post them here! I am dying to see your transformation. Anyway, well done on your achievement!!!
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been posting monthly on Facebook about my weight loss. First of month just total weight lost. Last month was first time I posted full body picture. It's a motivation factor for me and I get a lot if 'likes' and some comments but all positive and that feels so good to have that support. I'm within 10 pounds of my goad and everyone is amazed at the change.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well, how do you feel when you read other people's weight and exercise posts? I find endless posts about 'how far I ran today' and 'look, I'm a warrior #blessed', well, a little irritating... so I refrain from making similar posts. But if that's your bag, go for it. Don't let the naysayers of the world get you down!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it. Most people are kind, but you may have the negative nancy's, that can't be avoided. I try not to post about going to the gym every day and will post a pic every now and them... but that's really to keep me accountable and it's always encouraging to see people paying attention, rooting for you, compliments, etc. You worked hard, you deserve some recognition and to be proud of yourself!!
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I did it at a 40lb loss since I was pretty proud of myself. I had not posted about it previously or since, so I if it annoyed my friends that was on them.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Options
    If your proud enough to post it here you should be proud enough to share it with your family and friends who care for you the most.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you should - perhaps your journey will inspire someone else to make a change. Weight loss is a hard thing and you should be proud of you accomplishment, plus it is nice to read all the nice things people say and it will help motivate you even more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's not a "should". Your desire to show off a major achievement is perfectly natural, and Facebook is an obvious forum.

You won't make everyone happy by being a success. Sometimes those closest to us show their true colors when we do. Remember it speaks much more about them than it does about you. But must you live in a paper bag just so you don't offend the weakest among us?

Don't spend too much time trying to appease or convince the naysayers that what you did was right. It's obvious that your weight loss enterprise was the right thing to do. Sift through the responses and reward those people who are happy for you with extra friendship.

Stupid mothers will compare children. That's not your fault. Tell your friend her mother should never have compared the two of you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you're in doubt about it then I think you might not want to do it. If the biggest reasons are just your concerns about making friends upset/jealous, then forget that and go for it.

But if you just feel shy or uncomfortable about all of the attention being on your body I would skip it.

I posted once, before & after shots of 1 yr period when I lost the largest amount of weight (about 75 lb of my total 135 lb loss). There were many very positive comments and compliments. But there were also a few people saying things that were hurtful to me, like "It's mostly that you were wearing bright green in your before and now you're wearing black" or "You need to do this specific exercise", "Your face looks too skinny!"...and other stuff that was unwanted advice/commentary. I wound up deleting those pics after a few months. People can look at me and see that I'm an average size and I used to be morbidly obese. I don't need the before/after for that.

This is just another view and probably not a popular one. But know that for every 50 positive comments there may be 1-2 that will hurt and/or offend. If you're not the type to share posts like "Down 5 lb" and "Workin' on my fitness" every time you go to the gym, then you might wanna consider not. Congratulations on your successes though :smile:
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Post your success for sure!

People who don't like it - well, are they really friends who's opinions you need?

What is life if we can't share joy with each other.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Also, I have an old school friend who lost a substantial amount of weight over a couple of years and has maintained. She has posted her success story a few times, as people kept asking her how she'd done it. I personally look at her and she inspires me. She's a real person who i know and see walking around, and she's achieved what feels impossible to me. Thats fantastic motivation for me, and i'm always glad she's shared.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I would post it. It's a great accomplishment and it might inspire someone else.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm having the same issue... My facebook is full of friends from high school, people I have not actually seen face to face in several years now. Most of the crap I see posted on there are the most irritating memes and statuses regarding stupid random stuff, so I actually don't have any real 'friendships' through facebook. My current facebook picture is still of me at my before weight, which was 65 lbs ago. I have not said one thing on my facebook about my weight loss or anything fitness related. So, no one really knows what I am doing except a handful of people that are close to me in real life. I am hesitant about posting a before and after on my facebook, but I know I will definitely update my picture when I am done, and probably also take pictures more often showing off my body. I think people will get the message just by updating my picture, and remembering how I looked in high school, that I have lost a lot of weight, without needing to show a before to go along with it, or a back story. But, if any of my friends happen to notice and be interested in how I did it, I'd be happy to discuss it with them. I have another facebook account, though, where I am friends with people that I have met exclusively online. Honestly, I feel like the friends on that account are less judgmental and I feel that I could share a before/after pics and story with them, but I haven't decided if I will or not yet.
  • Ginastern1
    Ginastern1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think if you are not much of a Facebook sharer .... why start now? Celebrate with your real friends.... that is who counts. Congratulations to you on your tremendous success.
  • HealthyChar1223
    HealthyChar1223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You may offend someone, seems like there's always someone who gets offened. But you may also inspire someone else. It is your Facebook and theese are all people who should know and support you, and if anyone does turn it around to be anything other than positive, they probably are not happy with themselfs.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I say you should be proud of your accomplishments and do what makes you happy.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    Well, how do you feel when you read other people's weight and exercise posts? I find endless posts about 'how far I ran today' and 'look, I'm a warrior #blessed', well, a little irritating... so I refrain from making similar posts. But if that's your bag, go for it. Don't let the naysayers of the world get you down!

Personally, I like those posts ... I'd like to see more of my friends posting stuff like that. :)

Much, much, much better than all the American politics stuff a few of my friends post.

• kck2013
    kck2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How can anybody be offended by a success story? If anything, people can be jealous.
    You've transformed yourself? Great! Shout it from the rooftop and encourage others.
    Well done, girl.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    I'm having the same issue... My facebook is full of friends from high school, people I have not actually seen face to face in several years now. Most of the crap I see posted on there are the most irritating memes and statuses regarding stupid random stuff, so I actually don't have any real 'friendships' through facebook. My current facebook picture is still of me at my before weight, which was 65 lbs ago. I have not said one thing on my facebook about my weight loss or anything fitness related. So, no one really knows what I am doing except a handful of people that are close to me in real life. I am hesitant about posting a before and after on my facebook, but I know I will definitely update my picture when I am done, and probably also take pictures more often showing off my body. I think people will get the message just by updating my picture, and remembering how I looked in high school, that I have lost a lot of weight, without needing to show a before to go along with it, or a back story. But, if any of my friends happen to notice and be interested in how I did it, I'd be happy to discuss it with them. I have another facebook account, though, where I am friends with people that I have met exclusively online. Honestly, I feel like the friends on that account are less judgmental and I feel that I could share a before/after pics and story with them, but I haven't decided if I will or not yet.

How fun!! Yes, all you have to do is post a new pic and everyones eyes will pop out of their heads! Congratulations!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it! I was just wondering the same thing myself! Then I saw your thread and just decided to do it for some reason.. and now I'm anxious. Oh well. I just posted a couple progress pictures. I've posted a couple other small statuses before about lifting weights and one about how much body fat I've lost, but that's about it. I'd say those were received well enough. We'll see what happens with this one.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!