Devil Worship and Intervention

Options

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    Hmm. Okay. Next time I cook, I'll try to add in more protein. My SO has no desire to lose weight or change diet, so when we spend time together, I'm trying to see if I can at least mitigate some of the poor diet choices my SO makes. This is probably the wrong idea though; when we're not together, my SO will just go back to eating a low protein, high fat, high sugar/carb diet, all the while maintaining a mostly sedentary lifestyle with no meaningful exercise.

People have to be ready to change and your struggles are different than your SO's. Look at my profile picture. Your job is not to change someone you love. I struggle with sugar cravings. I am pre-diabetic and well within my ideal weight range. I actually eat a healthy diet and get exercise so diabetes is genetic for me. About 4yrs ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I had to change my diet for the sake of the baby I was carrying. Even then I made excuses and ate things I shouldn't. I loved the baby more than my own life but the call of sugar was stronger than my will power even at the potential cost of my baby's health. I know people say you cannot be addicted to sugar or food but you can. It is a compulsive behavior combined with a physical pleasure sensation, no different than smoking. You can bug a smoker, restrict where a smoker smokes, tell them second hand smoke is bad for their kids, but until they decide to address their addiction you will hit a brick wall. These are real medical issues. It is like seeing someone with depression and telling them they just need to smile more. I guess if you saw someone suffering from depression you could say the problem is they sleep too much and lack activity but that is over simplifying things. The good news is you can help in small ways. Invite them to exercise with you in a way they will enjoy, shopping, dancing, walking the neighborhood. Help them feel a bit better about themself. Its a vicious cycle, you are fat so you feel bad and you feel bad so you eat and then you are fat which makes you feel bad. Help them break that by feeling better about the non weight portion of them (wow your skin looks great today, did you change your hair I really like it, that is a cute top). Don't lecture them about eating but don't encourage bad habits either. Don't suggest meeting at a pizza place, do get a healthy option when you are out with them and talk about how good it is (not how healthy it is). I used to weigh 90lbs more than I do currently and it is not easy to change. My whole world revolved around my next meal which meant I had to rewrite who I was to lose weight.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Has anyone migrated their taste preferences away from soda, candy, and cakes to fruit and sweet vegetables? Was this a choice you had to commit to, or did it suddenly happen for you, like it did for me?

Sort of. I've always loved sweets of all kinds with a preference for high calorie baked goods. I had to make a conscious choice to generally avoid them in order to lose weight and be healthier. I tend to not keep baked goods of any kind in the house, even after years of diet improvement because I know those are my weak point. I still don't like most vegetables, and I would definitely not say my preference has shifted from sugary stuff to fruit, although I do like fruit.

I'm *still* making the choice. It's gotten easier that's for sure, but I still definitely want that cake. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Has anyone migrated their taste preferences away from soda, candy, and cakes to fruit and sweet vegetables? Was this a choice you had to commit to, or did it suddenly happen for you, like it did for me?

Background is below, feel free to skip.

My SO really likes sugar, is pre-diabetic and on medication. I realize there's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation, and I get the impression moderation is harder for people who have a dietary preference for candy, soda, and cakes.

I've never been a huge fan of soda, I do love cake and pastries, and I am okay with candy. I frequently find myself eating fruit and some veggies for sweet flavors, versus pouring sugar into my food/drink. This is not to say I completely abstain from devil worship. I enjoy the occasional demonic possession, and run into a nearby parking lot to cry when I'm done eating it, as is the proper way to atone for sin.

Quite the bold title and hyperbole in your original post...

Viewing the consumption of foods as a sin that needs to be atoned for does not indicate a healthy mindset.

• WinoGelato
    edited December 2015
    Options

My SO really likes sugar, is pre-diabetic and on medication. I realize there's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation, and I get the impression moderation is harder for people who have a dietary preference for candy, soda, and cakes.

I've never been a huge fan of soda, I do love cake and pastries, and I am okay with candy. I frequently find myself eating fruit and some veggies for sweet flavors, versus pouring sugar into my food/drink. This is not to say I completely abstain from devil worship. I enjoy the occasional demonic possession, and run into a nearby parking lot to cry when I'm done eating it, as is the proper way to atone for sin.

Quite the bold title and hyperbole in your original post...

Viewing the consumption of foods as a sin that needs to be atoned for does not indicate a healthy outlook toward food, nutrition, etc...

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Hmm, for you two, do sugar cravings outweigh cravings for other flavors? Like when you are hungry, and if you are in a supermarket, and had to put together a meal that would magically have 0 calories, what would you go for?

A bottle of water. <nods>
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    There is nothing evil about sugar. You have an unhealthy way of looking at food. I have nothing in my diet to atone for.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    What... where.... "devil worship"?
    Am I missing where devil worshiping was discussed in your post? I feel like a victim of click bait.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Am I missing where devil worshiping was discussed in your post? I feel like a victim of click bait.

LOL what does that say about us that the title drew us in!?

I think there was some vague reference to devil worship and atoning for sins in a parking lot in the last paragraph of the original post...
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I saw the thread title and got excited...
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I think there was some vague reference to devil worship and atoning for sins in a parking lot in the last paragraph of the original post...

Ahhh - thanks. I actually missed that, although it still doesn't quite make sense. I was thinking with a title like that, the actual devil worship part would be front and center in the discussion.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave sugars, and while I've cut back because it's hard to fit such unfilling food into my plan, I never gave it up nor will I.

Part of the learning process was learning how to enjoy in moderation, like a 160 calorie ice cream sandwich or eating only one slice of cake and not four. I cut way back, but really that was because I was eating way too much before, now I eat a normal amount of sweets.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I have noticed since doing MFP and paying attention to meeting the minimum goals for my protein and fat intake, that my cravings for sugary foods have gone down drastically - not 100% - as every so often the sugar-monster makes an appearance and I have to have something like a Little Debbie cake or a Rice Krispies treat or a lollipop - but I've gone from wanting it daily, every time I'm hungry, to only wanting it every so often.

Hmm. Okay. Next time I cook, I'll try to add in more protein. My SO has no desire to lose weight or change diet, so when we spend time together, I'm trying to see if I can at least mitigate some of the poor diet choices my SO makes. This is probably the wrong idea though; when we're not together, my SO will just go back to eating a low protein, high fat, high sugar/carb diet, all the while maintaining a mostly sedentary lifestyle with no meaningful exercise.

it's the wrong idea if by doing that you hope to change her preferences, yes for the reasons you say. showing her a lovely meal she might add to her repertoire wouldn't be bad though
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Because sugar is teh debil

At least according to some. :grumble:

Right, and I think that was the joke, though subtle, intended by the OP. I thought he was just poking a little fun at the current climate about sugar in a lighthearted way but did have a real question about sugar and changing palettes.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I've always liked fruits and vegetables, although I got myself even more excited about and appreciative of both by thinking of them seasonally and shopping at the green market and all that (I know it's psychological, but it works for me). I've never liked plain sugar (I think adding it to coffee is icky and I hate sweet cold cereals), but only sugar + fat, so soda and candy aren't an issue and cake is something I've always had rarely and is not my favorite. There are plenty of sweet things I like, though -- ice cream, home made pie, good cannoli, I could go on. For the most part the high cal foods I love the most and would have the hardest time giving up are savory, though.

And no, I haven't really changed my tastes, since there was no reason too. I'm not a picky eater and never have been, so I've always enjoyed a balanced healthy diet (I just had to be more active and exercise more sense over calories in that I'm not a huge person, sigh).

Is your concern that she's not doing as much as you think she should to control the pre diabetes? People have to decide they want it. I don't believe that moderation is harder for people based on tastes; I think anyone can do it, but I think you have to want to. A friend of mine is dealing with a diabetes diagnosis and doesn't seem willing to do what he needs to do to get it under control (he eats contrary to advice and what seems to me sense), but it's none of my business, frustrating as it is. And although I never had health issues, thank goodness, I ignored my own weight issues well after I was aware of it and knew how to change it until I decided I cared and needed to do something, so sometimes it's just a matter of time. (Often medical advice will matter, of course, so what the doctor says is likely important.)
    This is not to say I completely abstain from devil worship. I enjoy the occasional demonic possession, and run into a nearby parking lot to cry when I'm done eating it, as is the proper way to atone for sin.

I don't really think calling sugar "the devil" if that's what this is is useful. For me it wasn't a significant part of while I gained weight at all, and of course it's all about how WE choose to eat, not the power of any foods, so I find it quite puzzling that people want to call out and demonize sugar. To use my favorite example, I have a cookie recipe in my box. One cookie has about the same amount of sugar as an apple (and no, I don't think apples are evil or need to be avoided by those who have pre diabetes, like I guess some do). However, the cookie is much higher in calories than the apple, and a plurality of the overall calories (significantly more than from the sugar) are contributed by butter. So to point to the cookie as an example of the detrimental effects of sugar seems bizarre.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Come to think of it, my room gets very cold at night for no apparent reason, I see things that aren't there. I often have nightmares. I often end up waking at 3 AM with an empty stomach. Are these signs of demonic possession?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

am I the only person who finds this part to be offensive?
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

am I the only person who finds this part to be offensive?
    Yes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Come to think of it, my room gets very cold at night for no apparent reason, I see things that aren't there. I often have nightmares. I often end up waking at 3 AM with an empty stomach. Are these signs of demonic possession?

I was woken up at 3 am this morning by my cat.

I wonder if he's possessed? Knowing cats, I think it's likely.

And I will take this somewhat appropriate opportunity to make a plug for an excellent book:

63o4hcwb5xys.jpg
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Ahhh - thanks. I actually missed that, although it still doesn't quite make sense. I was thinking with a title like that, the actual devil worship part would be front and center in the discussion.

I was thinking that the OP overate at his most recent Devil Worshipping Event ...and then I wondered what kind of food they served at the Church of Satan? Doesn't really seem like a donuts and cookies type of crowd...

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Nah - you probably just accidentally ingested a grain of the evil sugar and it's rearing its ugly head.