My dad has requested a meal tomorrow that will have 900 calories itself and is carb-heavy!

Options
He loved the meal I cooked for Thanksgiving, and the leftovers, which I ate one day, too. So that's 2 days higher than normal. Fair enough. But our friend gave us yeast rolls and country ham. I could make that reasonable. But no, my dad wants scrambled eggs (cooked in the meat oil and butter)and cheese grits along with it, lol. I pre-logged and it would be 900 calories each and hella carbs (I can't have hella carbs in one meal).

It doesn't help much to cut the yeast roll to one, and I do love cheese grits. When I cook a full, big meal , I am so busy that I usually don't eat much. Should I just eat the big meal and say screw it? I'll eat the meat and non-carbs first so that I can separate the carbs for my BG if I get full (likely). Does that sound cool, or do I need to definitely skip something altogether?

I wasn't planning on stretching Thanksgiving out that long, but the food gift was unexpected and sounds really yummy. The friend keeps asking if I've made it yet! He's really nice (and cheap, lol).

Any ideas? I'm good on maintenance, but I will probably have to watch things and cut a bit for a while after. Sound reasonable? I already went into too-many-carbs land with all the stuffing I ate recently! I could also take an extra, extra long walk (in the rain). That would help with my BG, and with the calories to a certain extent.

Replies

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Eat half of the big meal, put some in the fridge for the day after tomorrow.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

I agree. Why do you have to eat a big meal? I'm also on maintenance, I would just have a bit of the things that I really wanted, I can't imagine sitting down and stuffing myself, it's so uncomfortable. Eat in moderation, stop when you're full. And if you're really worried, you could always cook your portion differently... scrambled eggs cooked in meat oil and butter (apart from yuck) think of unecessary calories right there, why eat that when you could cook the egg in a non-stick pan and better "spend" the calories saved in oil on the grits. And it only takes a few mins to cook separately.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I am happy to pretend to be you and eat this meal instead.

It sounds like you have a reasonable idea of how to fit it in anyway - eat certain parts first and see if you get full, exercise a little more, and make up for the extra calories by eating less in the following days. Eat a little of everything you like, but you don't need to match others for quantity.

I'm a greedy *kitten* so I'd eat it all, but just go for a run beforehand.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Or enjoy your meal and fit it into your calories for the day. Fast for the morning/ lunch to keep your calories low and then enjoy your meal. Doesn't sound like a regular thing you do so why go without.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Just reduce your portion size, log it and move on. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    my advice - eat the food, and account for it in your day and have a small breakfast and lunch …OR just log it all in and if you go over make it up the next day ….

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just reduce your portion size, log it and move on. :)

This is what I would do. Or don't eat the grits or only a tiny portion, if that's the issue.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Eat the meal , but adjust your portions. Have small servings of what you'd like to eat and make it fit into your day. Have a small breakfast to save up the calories for dinner
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    What I would not do is extend Thanksgiving further. One day or two is fine. Think for a moment it is a bit over a month from Thanksgiving the the day after New Years, let say 36 days. In that time if you only eat way over calories for say two days with Thanksgiving, say one office Christmas party, Christmas Eve and Day, and New years that turns into 6 days over leaving 30 where you would be at your calorie goals if you stick to them. Those six days will not result in the normal 15 or so pounds that many people put on during that stretch of time. What puts on that weight is the 30 other days.

Your plan was to stick with your calories, so do that. Either eat half of what you would have making is a 450 calorie meal, or cut back other meals to make it fit.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the grits or whatever your fav part is. Do something else with the rest.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't know what BG is but if you want to eat the food, eat it. Eat a full portion or a half portion and then budget the rest of your calories for the day, or over a few days, accordingly.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Eat the food and eat less for the remainder of the day. I do this most days with dinner. For example, my dinner last night was over 800 calories. I already had it prelogged so I could work around it during breakfast and lunch. Enjoy your meal. Those cheese grits sound good!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat everything your dad eats. You don't have to eat it all that meal or that day.
    Eat the food you want the most. If you want everything you'll be okay. You can eat lighter the rest of the day or week. You can add some extra exercise to your week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I'm overfull after 900 calories, so in this situation would have portions equaling 500, maybe 600. Do you live with your Dad or can you send the leftovers home with him? You could also give the leftovers to the friend who created this situation in the first place >:)

Does BG = Blood Glucose?
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Along with controlling portion sizes upping your activity level can really help. Simple things like decorating, shopping and extra cooking or cleaning can help a bit.

It seems like your choices here are being made to please others. There comes a point over the holidays in which every day can not become an indulgence. As a grown adult you have the ability to firmly and respectfully tell parents that you aren't able to participate in that way of eating and if they choose to they will be doing it without you. Pleasing our parents is never going to happen in the kitchen. Family meals and food celebrations are a part of our culture and important to balance with other family activities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat the parts of the meal that you want and fit into your goals and, if you want something else to round out the meal and replace the parts you won't be eating, make a simple side dish for yourself?

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Have a little bit each of your must-haves and put the rest away. What does someone else's meal have to do with you?
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I make grits & polenta from almond meal, once doctored up w/ cheese, it's pretty damn good. It will save you on carbs...if you feel like a substitute

I made it this way for cajun shrimp & grits:

Almond Meal Grits
    1 C Almond flour/meal
    1 C water (I used 1/2 C water, 1/2 C chix broth)
    Salt 1/4-1/2 tsp, depending on how salty your cheese is
    1/3 C shredded sharp Cheddar
    2 Tbsp Parm
    1 Tbsp Butter
    1 tsp Tomato Paste
    Dash tabasco
    Pepper

Put Almond meal, water, salt in saucepan. Whisk until meal is free of lumps. Bring to boil over med heat, whisking occasionally. Once boiling, whisk continuously for 1-2 min, until it visibly thickens (took mine a minute or two longer for my taste). Remove from heat, whisk in cheese, butter, tabasco, tom paste, and pepper to taste.

Also, I served as polenta with braised beef last week, using gruyere instead of the cheddar - omitting tabasco & tomato paste.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is life, and it's only 900 calories, eat at maintenance for the day. There is nothing wrong with carbs, many people lose weight on a high carb diet...just putting it out there.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

This. ^^^^

Or, plan it into your calorie goals.