ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    135lb bullmastiff (2yr old male)
    5-8k
    10-11min pace
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    He's actually a really good running buddy though halfway I always end up carrying him.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i tried running with my 10 year old staffie a few times but i think shes a bit past it, so i leave her at home now.

She seems to prefer short sprints when she sees a squirrel and then a leisurely stroll rather than distance running
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    Hi
    Great thread btw! I love anything to do with dogs! I used to run with my previous collies, before I had mishap with my knee. Now I run, not so much in a straight line, but more around a field full of sheep in eratic directions, whilst teaching my sheepdogs to herd correctly! Well, actually they teach me, seeing as they know more about it instinctively, but I try to get them to do it my way!

It's amazing how fast you can actually run backwards when you need to, and it's amazing how doing that toughens up those leg muscles!

You will never actually tire out my sheepdogs, they will always be ready to go again when you are ready to drop!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I love to run with my 4 year old lab mix. She's a black lab mixed with a griffon terrier and is just the funniest looking dog ever. She looks like a black lab mixed with an old man, she's got this grey beard and grey tufted feet, but other than that is all black lab. We live right near a forest in the foothills of the mountains, so she just loves to come running in the woods with me. She also recently discovered jump roping. She saw me jumping and probably thought it looked like fun so she joined in too. I also take her on some bike trips with me.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    iphone4109.jpg

lol, he tries his best. :o)
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I run with my white German shepard/husky mix. The farthest we have gone is about 5 miles. He loves it. To give him an even better workout I take him with me on the bike for shorter distances, he loves to sprint.

Also, a little side story: my last dog was a lab/greyhound mix and was great to run with. One day we were running and I was thinking how fun it would be to be in a running club that everyone could bring their dog to run with too. At that very moment, my dog crossed in front of me and tripped me - I went sprawling on the concrete. It was so embaressing but also hilarious, even to me. So I realized why a doggie running club wouldn't be a good idea :) in the 6 years and 100's of runs with her, that was the only time that ever happened!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I run with my white German shepard/husky mix. The farthest we have gone is about 5 miles. He loves it. To give him an even better workout I take him with me on the bike for shorter distances, he loves to sprint.

Also, a little side story: my last dog was a lab/greyhound mix and was great to run with. One day we were running and I was thinking how fun it would be to be in a running club that everyone could bring their dog to run with too. At that very moment, my dog crossed in front of me and tripped me - I went sprawling on the concrete. It was so embaressing but also hilarious, even to me. So I realized why a doggie running club wouldn't be a good idea :) in the 6 years and 100's of runs with her, that was the only time that ever happened!

I run a dog training school and have been trying to come up with a plan to do just that... K9 runner's club. :-D gotta work out the details though.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Gerald is my partner. He's a Springer......
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    I think it would be great as long as the dogs are trained well to prevent any mishaps like mine :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i used to take my staffie running, but shes getting old now, and she doesnt really enjoy it. She likes a good walk and to chase the odd squirrel, but constant running over a distance, she just couldnt keep up, so i leave her at home now and walk her seperatly
  • alise_lmx
    Options
    Oops azdesertdog my last post was supposed to be in reply to your post about the K9 running club but I guess I did that wrong
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    My two come with me, Clio the black lab spaniel cross no problem, boy the golden retriever won't stay home alone (cries like a baby) but he is utter rubbish lol!!! I end up dragging him along not good for him not good for me.
  • bashleyf
    bashleyf Posts: 4
    Options
    I take my 6 year old Golden Retriever with me. I am new to the excercise thing, but she has been playing fetch in a field next door for years so she is in amazing shape. She's very fit and eats organic dog food, I always tell people that if I could just be half as healthy as my dog I'd be happy! :) My only problem with running her is that she always wants to stop to smell things, so sometimes I leave her at home (but then feel guilty). The running thing is new and I still stop to walk a lot of the time, so hopefully with time she'll figure out that sniffing time is when we stop to walk. We always go before 9 AM when there is still a little bit of a chill in the air, after 9 it's too hot in the summer.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I run with my Dalmatian ---"Howdy" but I can never run fast enough for him......LOL
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This is Oscar:

IMG_0345.jpg

He's a retired racing greyhound.

One would think he would like running with me, right?

Wrong.

This is what Oscar likes to do:

IMG_0123.jpg

The last time I tried to take him running with me, he thought it was interesting for about a half mile and then he refused to go any farther. He literally stood completely still in the middle of the sidewalk, refusing to move. He's a big boy, I can't force him :(

As much as I'd love to run with my pup, he's my baby, and he's perfect in all other ways, so I don't complain too much!

Earl, our greyhound, is another non-runner. He LOVES to run laps at the dog park, but when I try to run with him on a leash, he runs in front of me, stops dead in his tracks to sniff something, runs in a different direction than where I want to go, etc. His favorite calorie burning activity is licking the peanut butter off the roof of his mouth. :)
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    <-- this dog runs or walks everyday with me. I am new to the whole running thing, but she will stay out for around an hour before complaining. She is a pound puppy (australian shepard-rottweiler mix). She keeps up with me just fine. Of course, I can only run a 12 minute mile.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes, I run with Cooper, my 2.5 year old boxer. He just trots along beside me, does awesome. However, I don't run all that fast and so to him it's just a fast walk. So, he doesn't get worn out and I have to exercise him seperately most days. Boxers have a ton of energy and a three mile run/walk just isn't going to do it. :)

But yeah, I love running with him. On hot days I hose him down really well before and after to keep him from overheating.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I have a 3month German Shephard/Blue Healer mix that loves going out with me. However, he's not quite fast enough to keep up with my jogging. But I know one day, he'll be dragging me!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I run way too slow for my collie/husky/shepard mix. He much prefers bike rides but his feet need to be built up because any longer than 10 mins and he tends to get raw toes. We run anywhere from 3-5 miles a few times a week. I have just decided to train for a half marathon so he will come with on all of my non treadmill runs. I usually run at 5-6mph wich is barely above a walk for him, he always lookes at me like "is this the best you can do?" He has a good base though because we were cross country skiing for 4 straight months this winter. He loved that best because he can stay cool and chase the wild turkeys in the bush.