I think I have a problem

2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    hoopika wrote: »
    Sorry to throw myself in this mix but I feel like I am going through something similar. I don't calorie count because I don't really like the idea of it. but I am underweight and the doctor has told me to put on but I can't seem to be okay with it. I know its an image issue but it is damaging my health. I want to put on weight but not change my body image (which sounds silly) but is there a way? Can anyone suggest a meal plan for an average day that is 'normal' at the moment I obsess about what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat. It's really not fun and impacting a lot of my life.

How much weight does your doctor want you to gain? You should be able to use MFP to enter your goal weight and then MFP will give you a calorie goal to gain the weight that you need.

However, if you don't want to calorie count, you should try adding calorie-dense foods to your current diet. What are you typically eating now?

the doctor says I need to put on about half a stone which isn't much. I do eat, for example for breakfast I might have avocado and a boiled egg with ryvita or toast, for lunch maybe some brown rice and beans or sandwich or a wrap, dinner again rice and a currey or chicken maybe some sweet potatoe too. I snack of fruit and or nuts. I eat the treat if I really want and I do enjoy my tea and coffee. I do do a lot of sports either yoga or football, running, anything really. and I drink a lot of water. but sometimes I do obsess about eating 'healthy' if I tend to treat myself more if I know il burn it off later. and if I do eat something 'unhealthy' I then make it more of a point to exercise and burn it off...

I have no idea what you mean by "unhealthy," but it sounds like the easiest way for you to gain weight would be to stop adding exercise to burn off the food that you're eating. That is, you can continue your normal routine, but stop making it "more of a point" to exercise and burn off your food.
  • hoopika
    hoopika Posts: 4 Member
    Sorry to throw myself in this mix but I feel like I am going through something similar. I don't calorie count because I don't really like the idea of it. but I am underweight and the doctor has told me to put on but I can't seem to be okay with it. I know its an image issue but it is damaging my health. I want to put on weight but not change my body image (which sounds silly) but is there a way? Can anyone suggest a meal plan for an average day that is 'normal' at the moment I obsess about what to eat, when to eat, how much to eat. It's really not fun and impacting a lot of my life.

How much weight does your doctor want you to gain? You should be able to use MFP to enter your goal weight and then MFP will give you a calorie goal to gain the weight that you need.

However, if you don't want to calorie count, you should try adding calorie-dense foods to your current diet. What are you typically eating now?

the doctor says I need to put on about half a stone which isn't much. I do eat, for example for breakfast I might have avocado and a boiled egg with ryvita or toast, for lunch maybe some brown rice and beans or sandwich or a wrap, dinner again rice and a currey or chicken maybe some sweet potatoe too. I snack of fruit and or nuts. I eat the treat if I really want and I do enjoy my tea and coffee. I do do a lot of sports either yoga or football, running, anything really. and I drink a lot of water. but sometimes I do obsess about eating 'healthy' if I tend to treat myself more if I know il burn it off later. and if I do eat something 'unhealthy' I then make it more of a point to exercise and burn it off...

I have no idea what you mean by "unhealthy," but it sounds like the easiest way for you to gain weight would be to stop adding exercise to burn off the food that you're eating. That is, you can continue your normal routine, but stop making it "more of a point" to exercise and burn off your food.

That's thing my definition of 'unhealthy' can be quite serious. I went through a phase where I though wheat and gluten was bad. I avoided dairy etc etc. I have toned all that down and I am feeling more energetic but I do have episodes where I go back into that phase. Or I try and plan what il eat and when il eat next. So I'll think after breakfast I won't eat til lunch even if I feel like a snack and if I am really hungry and I eat I get annoyed at myself
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

That's thing my definition of 'unhealthy' can be quite serious. I went through a phase where I though wheat and gluten was bad. I avoided dairy etc etc. I have toned all that down and I am feeling more energetic but I do have episodes where I go back into that phase. Or I try and plan what il eat and when il eat next. So I'll think after breakfast I won't eat til lunch even if I feel like a snack and if I am really hungry and I eat I get annoyed at myself

When your doctor told you that s/he wanted you to gain weight, did you share your history of unnecessarily restricting certain food groups and exercising to burn off calories even though you are underweight?