Started trying to run... check my progress

Options
2»

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Two runs, Friday and Monday, can hardly be used to track "progress". Looks like your first run was a little slow and your second was more on the pace you're at right now. That having been said, it took me from May to September to get to 11 minute miles (can string 5 of them togther) so you're starting out good. Keep up the good work and check in after, at least, several weeks to track progress.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Can't run outside it's dark out..when I can run Treadmill it is for now

Also I am weight training before running...

Can you run to the gym? Do laps around the gym parking lot? If you're looking to train for an outdoor race, it's helpful to log outdoor time. Also, you might find running easier outside because you can change your speed without having to fiddle with the treadmill.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Can't run outside it's dark out..
    Head torch
    There is something quite therapeutic about running through the woods with only that pool of light six feet ahead.

This. I run in the dark all the time. get up 4:30-5:30 every morning to run outside.
    Also I am weight training before running...

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/how-best-to-combine-strength-training-and-running
    So I start at 5... then go 6 then 7 then slow to 4. Rest. Then 6 to 7. Then 5. Then 4. So forth.
    Bad idea huh????? Heart rate has been over 170. Many times

Heart Rate. Do you even know what your maximum heart rate is? Heart rate training is based upon zones based upon your maximum heart rate.

60-65% of your HRmax = Easy Zone (where most of your running should be)
    Even the elites including the Kenyons do 80% of their total weekly mileage in this zone.
    You don't need a heart rate monitor to key in on this zone. Just run at a comfortable conversational pace. See the video I posted above with Dr. Jack Daniels (named world's best running coach by Runner's World).

85-90% is your threshold zone = Unless you are doing specific threshold training (which you are not ready for)
    you don't even want to reach this zone.

Anything beyond that is for VO2Max and neuroligical development (which again you are not ready for)

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Yeah.. right now I run hard as I can for a bit say on 7 to 8. Then slow down. Then. Run hard. Then slow down. Kinda like intervals.

So I start at 5... then go 6 then 7 then slow to 4. Rest. Then 6 to 7. Then 5. Then 4. So forth.

ignore your heart rate unless it feels like you're going to absolutely die...then you're probably going to hard. Or if it's still racing 10-15 min after you're done running. There's just too much variation in individual heart rates to try and compare it to any real average. I prefer to track my resting HR much more than my workout HR. The stronger your heart, the lower your resting HR generally speaking.

As far as your "intervals" go, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I would mix in some longer, steady state running as well. If you're running three times a week, only one of those should be your "interval" day.

As far as your actual pace, you've got lots of room to improve (which I'm sure you're aware). From several of your other posts, I think I remember that you're around 6' and at 222, a 10 min/mi pace should be well within your realm of goals for running leading up to your Spartan. When I was just getting back into shape and still in my "fat" phase at 5'-8" and 235 lbs, I ran a 5 mile race at just over a 10 min/mi

How long do you have to train before the Spartan? I might be doing one with my brother in the spring as well.

9 months I think.. and yes almost 6 foot. 10 min mile is my first goal you are correct.. I just thought in my head since I ride the bike like I do.. again not super fast but avg 10 to 11 mph over 17 miles on road with elavation changes. I should be at a good starting point...
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I will update post with every run..... I know I need to get outside and run and I will
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    If you are wanting a place to update your progress every time you run, it would probably be best to log it here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10292327/december-2015-running-challenge

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. right now I run hard as I can for a bit say on 7 to 8. Then slow down. Then. Run hard. Then slow down. Kinda like intervals.

ignore your heart rate unless it feels like you're going to absolutely die...then you're probably going to hard. Or if it's still racing 10-15 min after you're done running. There's just too much variation in individual heart rates to try and compare it to any real average. I prefer to track my resting HR much more than my workout HR. The stronger your heart, the lower your resting HR generally speaking.

As far as your "intervals" go, I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I would mix in some longer, steady state running as well. If you're running three times a week, only one of those should be your "interval" day.

As far as your actual pace, you've got lots of room to improve (which I'm sure you're aware). From several of your other posts, I think I remember that you're around 6' and at 222, a 10 min/mi pace should be well within your realm of goals for running leading up to your Spartan. When I was just getting back into shape and still in my "fat" phase at 5'-8" and 235 lbs, I ran a 5 mile race at just over a 10 min/mi

How long do you have to train before the Spartan? I might be doing one with my brother in the spring as well.

9 months I think.. and yes almost 6 foot. 10 min mile is my first goal you are correct.. I just thought in my head since I ride the bike like I do.. again not super fast but avg 10 to 11 mph over 17 miles on road with elavation changes. I should be at a good starting point...

So 9 months is an eternity to train. Start out slow and just worry about your distance at first. Rather than trying to do 2 miles faster than the time before, try and go a little bit further distance wise, or at least a little longer time wise. Until you're able to do 5 miles straight or run for an hour straight, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get faster.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You probably are, cardiovascularly. But you are not adapted to the physical stresses on your bones, muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments. All of the rest in beginning programs is geared to letting your body adapt to those stresses.

There is a reason the rule of thumb is not to increase your mileage each week by more than 10%, even for seasoned runners, and it isn't because most peoples' hearts can't handle it.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Gotcha
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    there are other structured plan out there but the c25k and b210k are standard and have helped many avoid injury and learn to run and enjoy it.
    shoes are personal preference and fit. I like saucony, my cousin runs in asics.
    Sure you can run in the dark. I ran at 4am this morning. you can get head torches or lights that attach to the brim of your hat

A key in what she said is "enjoy it". If you just jump in head first and don't set realistic goals you may get discouraged and give up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't see anywhere where enjoy came into this. also I believe the OP is a he. I'm not seeing anyone suggesting jumping head first. In fact, we all are telling him to slow down
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    By she I meant moyer566 which from AVI I assumed was a she. My mistake. Also I commented on the quote that included the phrase "learn to enjoy it". My statement of jump in to it was my wording on how I felt the OP was approaching this.

Sorry if I confused folks. I learned my lesson.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Yeah I think next time I will try and just maintain a pace for as long as I can. Say 5.3. Try and see how far I can go. I would like to get to where I can jog 1 mile. With no walking. That's a goal for me
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I noticed that a slow jog is painful like fast walking. But running has less stress on shins. Any body else notice this
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Yeah I think next time I will try and just maintain a pace for as long as I can. Say 5.3. Try and see how far I can go. I would like to get to where I can jog 1 mile. With no walking. That's a goal for me
    I noticed that a slow jog is painful like fast walking. But running has less stress on shins. Any body else notice this

2 things.

1. Don't attach a pace or speed with a specific number. For you, run in such a way where you could still carry on a conversation while you are still running. In other words, you should be able to speak out loud in complete sentences without the need to worry about your breathing. If you can barely mutter out loud 2 words while gasping for breath, then you are running way too fast. We call this conversational pace and it equates to about 60-65% of your maximum heart rate which will be perfect for you.

2. If the slow jog seems painful, I will suspect that your form is off. Number one thing with form, watch where your feet lands. If they land way out in front, then your stride is way too far and you need to pick up the cadance. Work on shorter but quicker steps while maintaining that slow conversational pace. Perfect cadance is somewhere around 180 steps per second. Your feet should land closer to under your center of mass (close to under your waist). Keep your upper body upright and back straight. Look straight ahead (not down) and keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

2 things.

1. Don't attach a pace or speed with a specific number. For you, run in such a way where you could still carry on a conversation while you are still running. In other words, you should be able to speak out loud in complete sentences without the need to worry about your breathing. If you can barely mutter out loud 2 words while gasping for breath, then you are running way too fast. We call this conversational pace and it equates to about 60-65% of your maximum heart rate which will be perfect for you.

2. If the slow jog seems painful, I will suspect that your form is off. Number one thing with form, watch where your feet lands. If they land way out in front, then your stride is way too far and you need to pick up the cadance. Work on shorter but quicker steps while maintaining that slow conversational pace. Perfect cadance is somewhere around 180 steps per second. Your feet should land closer to under your center of mass (close to under your waist). Keep your upper body upright and back straight. Look straight ahead (not down) and keep your neck and shoulders relaxed.

This = great advice
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I'm fairly new to running, but everywhere I've seen that you should only increase your mileage by 10% per week.

I started running 500 metres on September 22, and can now run 4.4 km. I haven't worried about times much at all yet.