Can't stop with peanut butter

Options

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I had to stop buying peanut butter. I used to sit with jar and spoon in hand and scoff!

Oh good... I'm not the only one. Add me to the list of those who can't even buy it anymore because I can't handle having it in the house... not that it's there for long. Yes... I admit it... I'm a peanut-butter abuser.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If its not an option to stop buying it, use avoidance tricks to make sure it is not in your line of sight. Store it in a cupboard that you never open. You don't want to be looking at it every time you open your main grocery cupboard. You want to avoid situations where you have to actively resist it. Even the boot of your car works, or the garage - anywhere that is is a mission to just "quickly grab some".

I sometimes store things in my drawer at work. First prize is that it is not in the home, so there are no late night or weekend temptations. I work in an open plan office, so there is no way I am going to sit eating peanut butter out the jar in front of my colleagues, so the potential peer pressure shame factor keeps me out of it. If I want some, I go to the office kitchen and make myself a respectable sandwich.

The system of "make it embarrassing or difficult to impulse eat" is a powerful one. You could also store the item behind a gate-keeper - In your teenagers bedroom or your partners locked desk drawer (you have to ask them for it!) or some such.

Works for chocolate too.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    I had to stop buying/eating it . I had to stop it for 6 months to break the habit.. it wasn't no 2 tbsp for me and a walk on the town and all those sorts things to distract me from it.. if i wanted it i'd just eat it .. but i'd eat no more than 6 tbsp in on sitting more than that i'd felt sick. Nowadays i can eat the serving size and be satisfied .. because there's way better tasting things then just PB .
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like it but I found that PB2, for me, tastes exactly the same, so I use that. I am also a PB-aholic. :) For the same 2 tablespoon serving, it's 45 calories instead of 200.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    gailsivy wrote: »
    I keep overeating on peanut butter, and it's making me so unhappy!

I had to stop buying peanut butter. I used to sit with jar and spoon in hand and scoff!

and don't get me started on how amazing peanut butter and nutella is!!! OMG
    2 minutes of pleasure and 1000cals of guilt

No answer here other than you just have to know your limits, have one spoonful and walk away. It is not easy!
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I made a rule that it can only be on toast, no spoonfuls. If I put it on toast then it feels mores like a substantial calorie snack than just sneaking a quick scoop. If I can't stick with that then I only buy creamy which is much less tempting for me.
  • azgolfgirl
    azgolfgirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hate powdered peanut butter but am addicted to the real stuff. I put 1/2 tablespoon on 1/2 a banana and that satisfies me. I used to go through a jar a week. Never giving it up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    By the way, just throwing this out there for my peanut butter lovers who had to switch to powdered...the brand It's Just Great Stuff=WAY better than PB2 or PB&CO. Not even on the same level.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I keep overeating on peanut butter, and it's making me so unhappy! How do I stop myself? I'm thinking about giving it up for 1 week, just to break the habit, then eat it in moderation. Anyone who can help me? Hold me accountable?

I keep mine in the car and only bring it in the house when I plan to eat some or need it for a recipe, then take it right back out to the car. I park underground and live on the second floor so I am not going to go all the way down to the basement on a whim. I had to do this with powdered sugar too. (Equal parts by volume of powdered sugar and peanut butter makes the center of peanut butter cups, BTW. Powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla also makes a decent fondant).
  • gailsivy
    gailsivy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone! I can't stop buying it cuz my mom literally buys a million jars for me. But I'll try to hide it in the closet or something. I can't limit myself, so I'm just gonna challenge myself to go peanut free for a week, and then go from there! If I can continue, I will for as long as possible. Good idea with the peanut allergy, thing!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    does she buy them just for you? if so, then ask her not to. if that's not possible (as it is with my in-laws), then just accept them graciously, and either donate them or throw them away. I've had to throw away a bunch of those big jars of mixed nuts from Costco, nearly full, just because I'll go to town on them if they're in the house.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use jiff whips..little lighter on the calories
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I dunno... I looove peanut butter, but I didnt grow up with it, have never over eaten it, and have only really been eating it for the last 3 years. I weigh it out, put it in or on something, close the jar, and then eat what I've made. I also dont think I've ever used a full serving of peanut butter. If I want major peanut butter flavour I will use pb flavoured protein powder or pb2, otherwise I'm totally fine with a tablespoon.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Another PB addict here and relieved to know it's not just me, if it's in the house I can't leave it alone, one teaspoonful leads to another, and another ... I'd not buy it at all but OH loves the stuff too so we buy once in a while. It doesn't last long!
    I used to be the same with Nutella then I saw a vid on YouTube where someone put a jar of it on their car dashboard on a hot sunny day. By evening it had separated into about 90 per cent oil and 10 per cent chocolate sludge at the bottom of the jar - yuk. :(
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I keep mine in the car and only bring it in the house when I plan to eat some or need it for a recipe, then take it right back out to the car. I park underground and live on the second floor so I am not going to go all the way down to the basement on a whim. I had to do this with powdered sugar too.

I tried it with wine once... only allowed myself my evening's "ration" and the rest of it stayed in the car (not in the passenger compartment, so it was legal to have an open container).
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have almond butter, my husband has peanut butter. I'll sneak a spoon of his now and then, but for the most part almond butter is less sweet to me so it doesn't start a sudden sugar/fat craving the way peanut butter does.
    Its funny, I used to raise my eyebrows at people on these forums having such a boner for peanut butter, but now I totally get it :smiley:
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I keep overeating on peanut butter, and it's making me so unhappy! How do I stop myself? I'm thinking about giving it up for 1 week, just to break the habit, then eat it in moderation. Anyone who can help me? Hold me accountable?

Me too. I eat it with a spoon and count it. I'm going to take the advice of the other posters....sigh. Thanks for posting this. Hugs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and I'm not giving it up. I always eat it with something and it fills out the snack with needed protein and fats. I like the pre-portioned idea. And giving away the million jars minus one. And telling your mom you'd rather she can get you something else to show her love. And the one jar you have left goes on a top shelf. You'll get your stretches every time you reach for it. That will also give you time to pause and think about calories left for the day, if you really need it, all that frontal lobe second thought activity.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

No answer here other than you just have to know your limits, have one spoonful and walk away. It is not easy!

Oh good God @riffraff2112 I cant stop thinking about that combination now!! I'm imagining yummy toast with butter and a tower of nutella and PB on top. Literally drooling right now :lol:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Oh good God @riffraff2112 I cant stop thinking about that combination now!! I'm imagining yummy toast with butter and a tower of nutella and PB on top. Literally drooling right now :lol:

That's my kid's favorite. We do a small smear of both on one piece of bread and fold it in half. She also likes to mix nutella and pb in a small condiment container (like for ketchup) and dip banana slices into it.