Quinoa

Options

Replies

• Lavmann
    Lavmann Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely expensive as well. Seems like most of the places around here like to sell it as "organic" with its associated price tag....grrr. Anyway, I have made this salad a couple of times and take it as my lunch. I make in my rice cooker, steaming the broccolli once the quinoa is fully cooked (just putting it on top). The first time I made it, I left the garlic raw and found it a bit over powering but the 2nd time I "cooked" it with the quinoa and found the flavour more subtle. i also prefer it when I let the quinoa/garlic/broccolli cool down completely before adding the rest of the veggies and the oil/lemon juice.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupssalads/r/quinoasalad.htm
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    Agree, mine was organic and expensive too. Where are you buying that you get it cheaper?
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, olives, onions and feta cheese. Top with a little Greek dressing. So addictive!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    PB banana quinoa :D

http://kaztronomic.wordpress.com/2010/06/15/peanut-butter-banana-quinoa-porridge-remix/

Peanut Butter Banana Quinoa Porridge:

2 tbs dry quinoa

1/2 cup water

1 whole banana

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp blackstrap molasses

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup almond or soy milk

1 tbs milled flaxseed

1/4 cup egg whites

2 tbs peanut butter

1 tsp honey

Cook quinoa, add banana. Let it return to a boil, and stir/mash the banana until fully incorporated into porridge. Reduce heat, and add in cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla. Add almond milk and flax, and stir until creamy. Slowly add in egg whites, and stir until fluffy. Increase heat for a half minute, stir. Remove from heat, top with peanut butter and honey.
  • eejieweejie
    eejieweejie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful recipe, so easy to make and just delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

I use this one too, although I add 1/2lb of ground turkey to mine! Yum yum!!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    YUM! Bump
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just made this over the weekend! Very tasty and satisfying

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/beef-potato-and-quinoa-soup.html
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to a recipe I posted on here the other day for creamy mushroom quinoa risotto:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/260375-creamy-mushroom-quinoa-risotto

I have also posted a bunch of other quinoa risotto combinations on the thread too- so plenty to try!!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Lovely recipes! MMMMM
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all these great ideas :)
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great for breakfast! After cooking, stir in cinnamon, dried or fresh fruit and then drizzle with honey or agave nectar! Deeeeelish.

I cook mine in almond milk instead of water, add the cinnamon, and then add some chopped up dried apricot. Yum!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa because it has more protein than rice. I cook it like rice and use as a side dish. I am definitely going to try some of the posted recipes. :flowerforyou:
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    $5 a box?! I get it in bulk for around $3 a pound at my grocery store...do you have a bulk aisle where you shop? That's REALLY steep for quinoa. Anyway, I like to cook it in vegetable stock instead of just water for more flavor, and throw it on top of a salad...super yummy and nutritious!

I found it on the aisle with the rice. They only had one option (got it at Walmart). It is organic - maybe that makes a difference.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Yes, quinoa is expensive. I just substitute it for brown rice in any recipe.
    I like to use quinoa with a vegetable stir-fry in place of the rice.
    You don't even need a recipe for it--just toss veggies you have at home in a skillet, cook until they reach your desired texture, add any herbs or seasonings you like, and pile it on top of 1/2 cup cooked quinoa. Easy! =)
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipes. I'm still I little scared to try it, lol. I'm afraid I'm not going to like the texture. But I'm going to be brave and try it anyways, since I hear so many good things about it. I think I will start simple at first by cooking it with a broth and maybe adding veggies. The soups looked good and I like the idea of using it for a stir-fry. I will try it for the first time, sometime this week and let you know how it turned out. Thanks again.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    $5 a box?! I get it in bulk for around $3 a pound at my grocery store...do you have a bulk aisle where you shop? That's REALLY steep for quinoa. Anyway, I like to cook it in vegetable stock instead of just water for more flavor, and throw it on top of a salad...super yummy and nutritious!

I found it on the aisle with the rice. They only had one option (got it at Walmart). It is organic - maybe that makes a difference.

Hmmm...I didn't even know Wal-Marts had grocery sections, let alone organic...that's awesome! Yeah, I get mine organic, too, in the bulk section at Whole Foods...it's where I get all my grains...I can get a few pounds worth of quinoa, brown rice, barley, and amaranth for under $10 so I'd definitely try and find a place that has a bulk section to get your grains from...it's so much cheaper that way!
  • fj78
    fj78 Posts: 17
    Options
    Here's the link to a recipe I posted on here the other day for creamy mushroom quinoa risotto:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/260375-creamy-mushroom-quinoa-risotto

I have also posted a bunch of other quinoa risotto combinations on the thread too- so plenty to try!!

I tried this at the weekend (I saw your recipe the other day) and it was GREAT! Thanks!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Bump.Thanks everybody! :smile: