December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here you go...after yesterday's brief discussion of the treadmill.

duffy-TREADMILL.jpg
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Here's another, since we are clearly a Dog Group with a Running Problem.

duffy-Four-Legged-Fitness-Tracker.jpg
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Here's another, since we are clearly a Dog Group with a Running Problem.

duffy-Four-Legged-Fitness-Tracker.jpg

oh i totally pinned that.
  • jkowalsk23
    jkowalsk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mid morning run: 10:32 min/mile, 3.11 miles

exercise.png

Mid-30s with a bit of wind--reminds me why I love running in fall and winter vs. summer, so much more comfortable when it's not humid and warm! Glad I'm committing to getting in some running before the snow comes.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @jkowalsk23 -running in the freshly falling snow is one of life's great pleasures. If anybody here has not yet had the chance to do it, I hope you get to experience it this winter!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

It was cold, rainy, dark and annoyingly windy. I might as well have been a kite. I spent most of the run fighting to keep my cap from flying off and taking out any low flying pigeons conducting aerial surveillance as well as avoiding the cab drivers of my area who seemed to have come to some secret agreement to try and take me out at any given opportunity.

@msf74 sorry to laugh at your expense, but you gotta admit the visual in my head is just too funny!

@karllundy love the fitness tracker. I can help you achieve that status at your local store, just buy me stuff :smiley: see simple!
    @9voice9 I was hoping a gift card would fall out of the envelope, but no such luck.

Had to laugh at Skip last night, she's running indoor track and they are running in the school (seriously it's 45 get outside). Anyway last year some of you know she played soccer and was complaining about the coach making them practice at 8:00 pm in the 7F degree weather outside. So we are leaving T&F practice last night and the soccer team is out there having tryouts and it was chilly and she said "I'm going to stop complaining about indoor practice" and I just looked at her and she looked up at the sky and said "Thank you God for making me realize running and not soccer is my true passion" LOL She kills me!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @jkowalsk23 -running in the freshly falling snow is one of life's great pleasures. If anybody here has not yet had the chance to do it, I hope you get to experience it this winter!

waiting patiently
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @msf74 - sorry you had a bad run! Tell the pigeons to be appreciative that your cap didn't take them out and get them to deal with the cab drivers haha ;)

@WhatMeRunning - ouch! Hope your knee feels better soon! :neutral:

@skippygirlsmom - thanks for the link, will check it out. I love Fleet Feet! My whole family shops there and they use my name (since I got the account first) so I get all the credit for the things they buy :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    jkowalsk23 wrote: »

exercise.png

Mid-30s with a bit of wind--reminds me why I love running in fall and winter vs. summer, so much more comfortable when it's not humid and warm! Glad I'm committing to getting in some running before the snow comes.

Q: You run outdoors? In the winter? What if it snows?
    A: I leave footprints.

2015 was the first year I managed to stay healthy through the summer. I noticed that summer is the worst running weather all year, right when the most races are scheduled.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »

@skippygirlsmom - thanks for the link, will check it out. I love Fleet Feet! My whole family shops there and they use my name (since I got the account first) so I get all the credit for the things they buy :smiley:
    I need referral points on my account, that would be awesome.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1- 6.58 (warmup, speed work, cool down)
    12/2- extra rest day :(
    12/3- 6.40 easy
    12/4- 8.12 easy

Total- 21.10
    Goal- none stated

Today's notes: Taking Fridays off work in December, gotta use the time or lose it. That let me run in daylight at 9 AM. The sore hamstring is less sore than yesterday, but I think I'll be avoiding speed work until it's better than it is today. I'm taking the hamstring as a sign that I've built up as much weekly mileage as I'm going to, and I'll use most of December to consolidate a base of about 45 miles per week going into training for Boston.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 0 blah day
    12/2 - 6.24 (2.66 lunch run + 3.58 dreadmill walk) Felt like an upside down turtle trying to make it thru quicksand. Felt super slow, sluggish, just awful. Later on the t-mill actually felt pretty good.
    12/3 - 2.83 Work lunch run...felt good. Not great. Seems like if I take more than 2 days off I lose something, like endurance or lung capacity, something.
    @jkowalsk23 The weather you described is perfect! I live in Denver and we have some of the most beautiful weather for all year running. (This will be my first winter running here, but so far I've only lost a couple of days to the weather. The other days were from the drivers that scared me too much to try to share the road with them.)

exercise.png
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    12/1....................6.00....................6.00
    12/2....................5.00..................11.00
    12/3....................6.25..................17.25
    12/4...................REST.................17.25

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:

5/14/16: Glacier Ridge Ultra, 50k (Portersville, PA)
    10/1/16: Cloudsplitter 100, 100k (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 - you win with the correct diagnosis for my Garmin calorie counting issue. I disconnected the accounts and today's run showed a normal calorie count. I'm going to keep them disconnected and just go with my Fitbit because it always estimates lower than the HRM so its "safer." I'm just happy its not the watch - I bought it on sale at Woot, so I wasn't sure Garmin would replace it if it was broken.

@ACSL3 I'm glad we got that figured out!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I got 4 miles in last night on a beautiful crisp evening (28°F). Unfortunately the daytime temps are getting to be above freezing so that beautiful snow is starting to melt. I'm loving this winter running.

uk0bcv72ba5d.jpeg
  • jkowalsk23
    jkowalsk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    jkowalsk23 wrote: »

exercise.png

Q: You run outdoors? In the winter? What if it snows?
    A: I leave footprints.

2015 was the first year I managed to stay healthy through the summer. I noticed that summer is the worst running weather all year, right when the most races are scheduled.

YES--when I lived in Chicago my favorite races were the ones in the winter. I once ran a course by the lake in -14 degree weather (while snow fell) and it was 1,000 times more enjoyable that sunny August races in humid heat. Now, unfortunately, I live in a rural setting where sidewalks aren't cleared all winter, making running outside year round a bit trickier. But you've all inspired me to keep at it this winter!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    11/23 7 miles - 158.9 << Week1 of RCM Taper
    11/24 8.1 miles - 167
    11/25 5 miles - 172 << Recovery Run
    11/26 8 miles - 180
    11/27 5 miles - 185 << Recovery Run
    11/28 17 miles - 202 << Long Run - end of Week1 Taper
    11/29 REST DAY
    11/30 6.1 miles - 208.1<< Week2 of RCM Taper

12/1 5.5 miles - 5.5
    12/2 4.1 miles - 9.6
    12/3 5.5 miles - 15.1
    12/4 4.1 miles - 19.2

exercise.png

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @kareF Fantastic news!
    @ChillingWithTheLinkster Welcome! Those babies are beautiful!

12/1 3.5 @ 11:17 on the treadmill plus strength training
    12/2 5.25 @ 11:04 on the treadmill. Oh my heck, please let it be sunny tomorrow. Or at least not so wet.
    12/3 4.75 @ 12:03 on the park trail with the doggy. Yay! Sunshine!
    12/4 3.5 @ 11:03 (really 3.25 at 10:48, plus .25 at a walk) on the treadmill, plus strength training
    12/5 Active Rest Day (Hiking with cub scouts)

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Challenge Update: Did 3 slow miles over lunch, as planned. It was another nice day out, but I'm glad I was scheduled for a slow one today, as I struggled a little to get into the rhythm. After my run, I got back to the gym in time to join the Insanity class for the core/abs block and "Dig Deeper" section. Double win!

Currently: 11/96 completed

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal 65 miles

12/1 5.00
    12/2 4.11
    12/3 snorkel 3 hours : candy cane shrimp
    0y0u1fswhqeg.jpg

12/4 4.37

Total 13.47

@kareF fabulous news!
    @shanber happy birthday: I have a singlet that says "will run for wine." You need a "beer" one for your birthday (and the upcoming race!)
    Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png