MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    12/1....................6.00....................6.00
    12/2....................5.00..................11.00
    12/3....................6.25..................17.25

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:

5/14/16: Glacier Ridge Ultra, 50k (Portersville, PA)
    10/1/16: Cloudsplitter 100, 100k (Pine Mountain, KY)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    just noticed that in the last period my stride has shorten a lot, from 1.07m to 0.93m (but pace..., well let not mention or I get depressed...)

is this good or not? can be related with my leg problem/dark?

Distance covered = (avg stride rate) X (avg stride distance) X (minutes)

Using that formula your stride distance may have shrunk which has a direct effect on your total distance covered and pace.

So if your stride shrunk but your pace stayed the same, then that means you must be taking more steps per minute. That may actually be a good thing if you remember our 180 steps/minute discussion the last couple of months.

I wouldn't worry about stride distance so much. I would worry more about steps per minute and form (i.e where is your foot landing? under your body or way out in front?)
    Quicker cadence is actually good.

what I find weird is that my pace slowed down

I average ~190 spm so I think it's pretty good, but why then the pace went slower if stride decreased and spm increased?

OK! So if the total distance you are covering is the same, and your pace slowed down but number of spm stays, then it will take you longer to run the same distance; because your stride length has decreased.

Distance covered = (avg stride rate per min) X (avg stride distance in m) x minutes
    km (or miles covered) = (pace m/min) X minutes
    Distance stays same = pace decreased X minutes is longer
    Distance stays same = (spm stays 190) x (stride length decreased from 1.07 m to .93m) x (minutes have to have grown)

Your stride length decreased which in effect also decreased your pace, which is why it is taking you longer to run the same distance.

What was it before 190?
    If your spm also increased, but pace still decreased. That must mean that your decrease in stride length had more of an effect on your overall pace then the increase in the number of steps. That is not a bad thing. What that would then tell me is that you were taking too long of steps. So by moving your feet quicker, that made your feet land closer to your center of mass (thereby decreasing your stride length). If this is all true, then your legs and joints will take less of an impact when you go from your swing phase changing into your stance phase (your runing gait).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hlu2kt5CqA
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Treadmill running...my philosophy is "Embrace the suck". It is a necessary evil.

My philosophy is that it is evil... but not necessary. I am heading into my 14th month of being treadmill free. I gave my treadmill away and cancelled my gym membership. So its just weights in the basement and winter running....
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @kareF - So happy to hear the news!!!
    @shanaber - Running AND Beer fest? We need one of those here!

Another 4 easy miles today. Picked a course that was mostly flat to downhill until the last mile at which point it went sharply uphill. It sucked in a beautiful way. Definitely going to become a regular 4 miler route. My pace was again faster than expected and HR a little on the high end while the effort was right on. I felt no worse for the wear after a similar run yesterday, so I think I'll just continue going with the perceived effort until I start dialing in on whatever my new paces/HR ranges are.

12/1 - 4 mile lactate threshold run
    12/2 - 4 mile easy run
    12/3 - 4 mile easy run

Total 12 of 125 miles

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Treadmill running...my philosophy is "Embrace the suck". It is a necessary evil.

My philosophy is that it is evil... but not necessary. I am heading into my 14th month of being treadmill free. I gave my treadmill away and cancelled my gym membership. So its just weights in the basement and winter running....

Treadmill can sometimes come in handy but definetely not necessary.
    I ran in the apartment complex gym's treadmill only once last year during Winter. It was very icy out and I ended up doing a 4 mile interval workout. That was the last time I was on a treadmill.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @kareF - Yay! I'm so happy to hear the good news for you! :smiley:

@7lenny7 - you win with the correct diagnosis for my Garmin calorie counting issue. I disconnected the accounts and today's run showed a normal calorie count. I'm going to keep them disconnected and just go with my Fitbit because it always estimates lower than the HRM so its "safer." I'm just happy its not the watch - I bought it on sale at Woot, so I wasn't sure Garmin would replace it if it was broken.

3.02 miles done today on the treadmill - did a really hilly program so I traded miles for a route that varied between -1.0% and 12.5% grade.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    11/23 7 miles - 158.9 << Week1 of RCM Taper
    11/24 8.1 miles - 167
    11/25 5 miles - 172 << Recovery Run
    11/26 8 miles - 180
    11/27 5 miles - 185 << Recovery Run
    11/28 17 miles - 202 << Long Run - end of Week1 Taper
    11/29 REST DAY
    11/30 6.1 miles - 208.1<< Week2 of RCM Taper

12/1 5.5 miles - 5.5
    12/2 4.1 miles - 9.6
    12/3 5.5 miles - 15.1

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Called the clinic as I just had to know... They have got all of the cancer! :) big celebrations with my family tonight. My grandfather has been watching over me x thank you so much everyone!! Only 1 life.. Please be careful x

That's awesome! Congratulations @kareF

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Alright, I'm joining in. Just finished my first (two) half marathons in November, and am on week 3 of training for my first full marathon on March 20th (I'll be doing the A2A Marathon in Ardmore, OK, if anyone cares). According to my plan, I am supposed to run 96 miles this month, so that will be my goal.

Currently: 3/96 completed

Hey! Welcome! I live in Ardmore. I've opted to do the Rock and Roll half March 20 instead of the A2A. Really wanted to do both but committed to the RNR before I checked the a2a date. A2A was my first race.

If you live around here, maybe we could get a short training run in together, (I'm slow and a bit gimpy).

Oh, cool. Another Okie! I'm actually in the Tulsa area (30 miles west to be exact). Chose the A2A because I love the smaller races and thought that would make it a good first marathon for me! My sister is also running it, but she lives in Corpus Christi, so we're training separately. I may be coming to you for lodging recommendations closer to race day! :smiley:

Challenge Update: Just ran my 5 miles for today, and it only took me 47 minutes. It is so beautiful out: sunny, not windy, 40s (F). Perfect day for a lunch-break run!

Currently: 8/96 completed
  • jkowalsk23
    jkowalsk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 26 miles. Getting moving again.

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jkowalsk23 wrote: »
    I'm in for 26 miles. Getting moving again.

exercise.png

Madagascar-quotes.gif
  • Stoshew71
    edited December 2015
    Options
    just noticed that in the last period my stride has shorten a lot, from 1.07m to 0.93m (but pace..., well let not mention or I get depressed...)
    is this good or not? can be related with my leg problem/dark?
    what I find weird is that my pace slowed down

I average ~190 spm so I think it's pretty good, but why then the pace went slower if stride decreased and spm increased?

Stoshew71 wrote: »
    OK! So if the total distance you are covering is the same, and your pace slowed down but number of spm stays, then it will take you longer to run the same distance; because your stride length has decreased.

Distance covered = (avg stride rate per min) X (avg stride distance in m) x minutes
    km (or miles covered) = (pace m/min) X minutes
    Distance stays same = pace decreased X minutes is longer
    Distance stays same = (spm stays 190) x (stride length decreased from 1.07 m to .93m) x (minutes have to have grown)

OK! Just because I am a math geek.

First thing we need to do is convert steps per minute to strides per minute.
    You take 2 steps per stride.

So 190 steps/minute becomes 95 strides/minute

So let's find your pace for 1.07m stride.

95 strides/min * 1.07 m/stride = 101.65 m/min
    101.65 m/min * 60 minutes/hour = 6099 m/hour
    This equates to 3.789743 miles/hour

OK! When you figured out your stride legnth, were you going by meters per stride or meters per step?

I am going to do this again and just assume you meant meters per step.

190 steps/min * 1.07 m/step = 203.3 m/min
    203.3 m/min * 60 minutes/hour = 12198 m/hour
    This equates to about 7.5794858 miles per hour.
    This is about a 7:56 min/mile pace.

190 steps/min * .93 m/step = 176.7 m/min
    176.7 m/min * 60 minutes/hour = 10602 m/hour
    This equates to about 6.5877774 miles per hour
    This is about a 9:06 min/mile pace.

Does this sound about right? This is assuming You were taking about 190 steps/min in both cases.
    How many steps/min were you taking when you were going 1.07 m per step?

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Alright, I'm joining in. Just finished my first (two) half marathons in November, and am on week 3 of training for my first full marathon on March 20th (I'll be doing the A2A Marathon in Ardmore, OK, if anyone cares). According to my plan, I am supposed to run 96 miles this month, so that will be my goal.

Currently: 3/96 completed

Hey! Welcome! I live in Ardmore. I've opted to do the Rock and Roll half March 20 instead of the A2A. Really wanted to do both but committed to the RNR before I checked the a2a date. A2A was my first race.

If you live around here, maybe we could get a short training run in together, (I'm slow and a bit gimpy).

Oh, cool. Another Okie! I'm actually in the Tulsa area (30 miles west to be exact). Chose the A2A because I love the smaller races and thought that would make it a good first marathon for me! My sister is also running it, but she lives in Corpus Christi, so we're training separately. I may be coming to you for lodging recommendations closer to race day! :smiley:

Challenge Update: Just ran my 5 miles for today, and it only took me 47 minutes. It is so beautiful out: sunny, not windy, 40s (F). Perfect day for a lunch-break run!

Currently: 8/96 completed
    Okie here too :) Born and raised Tulsa but living in Mannford now.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    December Running Totals (miles)
    12/1- 6.58 (warmup, speed work, cool down)
    12/2- extra rest day :(
    12/3- 6.40 easy
    12/4-
    12/5-
    12/6-
    12/7-
    12/8-
    12/9-
    12/10-
    12/11-
    12/12-
    12/13-
    12/14-
    12/15-
    12/16-
    12/17-
    12/18-
    12/19-
    12/20-
    12/21-
    12/22-
    12/23-
    12/24-
    12/25-
    12/26-
    12/27-
    12/28-
    12/29-
    12/30-
    12/31-

Total- 12.98
    Goal- none stated

Today's notes: Yesterday would be a normal running day. Took it as a rest day because my left hamstring was bothering me. It's better today, but I can still feel it; so today I did a short easy run and skipped the speed work normally scheduled for Thursday evening. The good news is, the leg feels better after the run than it did before. :)
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    2/12 2k
    3/12 1k

Hey every little helps... :wink:

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater 5 in 47! That's blazing! Nice run! and @candacefausset Its nice to have Okie company (I did grow up in Dallas however, We'll leave the rivalry on the football field)! I hear Tulsa has a great running community. I'd like to make a run up there this next year.

November-Holiday Streak
    26-5.90 Race 10K -my oversight, thought it was sanctioned.
    27- 1.02 TM
    28-5.60
    29-1.02 TM
    30-3.47

1-6.03
    2-1.02 TM
    3-10.01

17.06/90+

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
  • Vixyb_
    Vixyb_ Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 75 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Date…Km’s….Total
    01/12 – 05.75 – 05.75
    02/12 – 02.34 – 08.09 run : 8’37 pace
    03/12 – 04.37 – 12.46
    04/12 – 03.05 – 15.51

Goal – 100km
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Went to the running store today. My Mom offered to buy me some of the things I wanted for Christmas. Between her buying me things and me buying myself things I got:
    -New road shoes
    -New trail shoes
    -Running tights for cold weather
    -Gloves
    -A Christmas running shirt with the phrase "Run Happy"

I had so much fun trying things on (both shoes and clothes). I never have this much fun when I go regular clothes/shoes shopping haha ;)