December 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/1-3.7 miles + strength training

I edited my goal from 120 miles to 122, because I need 121.7 to hit an even 1700 for the year. I am looking at that as extra motivation!

On a side note, every time I look at these tickers with the snow, it makes me want to run in the snow. Possible light snow in the forecast for tonight. Meeting up for a group "hot chocolate" run this evening. Could work out perfectly!

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    12/1-3.7 miles + strength training

I edited my goal from 120 miles to 122, because I need 121.7 to hit an even 1700 for the year. I am looking at that as extra motivation!

On a side note, every time I look at these tickers with the snow, it makes me want to run in the snow. Possible light snow in the forecast for tonight. Meeting up for a group "hot chocolate" run this evening. Could work out perfectly!

exercise.png

I've been waiting for some snow. we got a little this morning but it's not sticking. mid 40's this week
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    New to the thread. Tracking miles as measured by my Garmin 620, recognizing that there will be a small GPS error and I won't pick up anything that happens when the watch isn't in GPS mode.

No December goal, but I expect it to be a PR month for distance because my focus right now is building volume and solidifying a solid base. Don't know whether that solid base will come in around 45 miles per week (where I am now) or 50 miles per week (ultimate target, but I'd rather have a solid 45 than a shaky 50 base).

12/1 - 6.58 miles, total 6.58

Speed work yesterday evening: 1 x 800 @T, 3 x 1200 @ 5K race pace, plus warmup and cooldown. Really looking forward to Boston training, when the speed work won't have that long at the faster paces.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7: Does that marathon have any connection with Garrison Keillor at all? (Lake Wobegon)

@GBrady43068 Only indirectly. The trail is a 46 mile paved, multi-use trail named after Keillor's fictitious town of Lake Wobegon but Keillor has nothing to do with the race.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Karef - Prayers for good news! I hate melanoma (all cancer actually). Melanoma particularly.
    @snha - Achilles tendinitis is very serious to runners. What did the doctor advise?

Did 4 miles at easy effort today. I was surprised by the pace however, a little faster than expected. Also my HR was on the higher end of what certain calculators says is my easy range (I've used the same calculator in the past). Yet the effort felt right on and my strides per breath were as expected. Oh well, time will help guide me as the runs go on and on. If I'm lucky, maybe I've been too easy on myself and could have pushed a little harder all along.

12/1 - 4 mile lactate threshold run
    12/2 - 4 mile easy run

Total 8 of 125 miles

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm going to have to play catch up on the thread but I wanted reply to these quickly.

@karef praying the phone doesn't ring and they got it all. You are allowed to be emotional, I know I can safely say you have all of us here thinking of you and sending you nothing but good thoughts. Hugs
    @snha Skip battles with Achilles tendinitis to the point that 2 years back she missed the entire XC season because she was in a boot. The big thing the trainer worked on was stretching the tendon. No running whatsoever during rehab for her. When she started back it was one 400m at a time. She used a long rubber band and did a lot of tying a loop at one end that went over her foot and she held the other end tight, point the toe, flex the toe, then moving the foot from side to side with the band on it. Also rest and icing it after the stretches. I'll see if I can find the paper he gave us to work at home. This is a great article:
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/12/injury-prevention/new-exercises-fixing-achilles-injuries_119928
    ...and what @stoshew71 said find a good PT.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    12/1 - 1.6 miles - 3K fun run with my friend John, who just lost almost 100 lbs :sunglasses: Oh yeah I realize 1.6 isn't a 3K but that's what they called it even though my watch said 1.6
    12/2 - life day

1.6 out 120 miles

exercise.png
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at doing a half the weekend of my birthday (7/30) and then doing a sprint tri the next weekend. For those that have done a couple of halfs...what is YOUR normal recovery time? I'm trying to decide if it's do-able or if I need to spread them out more. I really really want to do both but I'm willing to acknowledge that may not be feasible for me. At the moment I'm registered for a 5k 12/12, will do a 10k in Jan/Feb so I'll have pace info to work with. Planning to either run a half on 5/14 or be part of a relay team where I'll do a little over 5 miles. After that is still in the planning stages.

@kareF I work at a church/school. I hope it's ok, I asked the prayer group to hook you up.
    @snha That sucks.
    @7lenny7 You both look so happy!!
    @lporter229 That's a nice total for the year. I'm hoping to do something like that for the coming year!
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ...piriformis injury? I have bilateral piriformis syndrome. Left side has been debilitating. It's not easy to get over. Wishing you a speedy recovery too!

After my little 6 month hiatus from MFP, I was glad to see you are still running through your physical obstacles.. you are an inspiration to anyone who has to battle through pain to get the miles.... looking forward to re-connecting...
  • ChillingWithTheLinkster
    Options
    Hello all!
    My goal is 50 miles this month.
    I ran last on Monday 11/30, which was my first run since giving birth to child #2.
    It was a spontaneous run while out with the big kid, so no tracker.
    I look forward to running much more this month and having this group for support and motivation!
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    11/2 - 3 miles, lovely and clear day outside

December: 3 of 45 miles completed

Welcome to all the new runners!
    @WhatMeRunning nice to see you on here again!
  • myasay
    myasay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started my challenge of 5 miles a day. Sorry to up it Stan but my goal is 155.

Good luck everyone!
  • RecRunnerInMA
    RecRunnerInMA Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    2/12 2km

Wasn't expecting to do anything today so should see this as a bonus 2km but my heart really wasn't in it or I could have done more

exercise.png
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 3.16 Mi
    12/2 - 5.21 Mi

Progress toward Goal 8.37 / 50
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal 65 miles

12/1 5.00
    12/2 4.11

Total 9.11

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Off to just a walking start. Better than nothing. The pooch is worn out and snoring nicely next to me. :)

Dec 1 - 1.79
    Dec 2 - 4.66

exercise.png
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @KareF - I'll be thinking of you and positive thoughts for your biopsy results. Nice that you got to do a little run :)

@snha - sorry to hear about the tendinitis! :neutral:

@patrikc333 - ah, yeah the HR part of it seems fine, thanks for the help. I'm thinking it's what @7lenny7 said and it's only counting the calories above what my Fitbit gave me. I'm going to disconnect the Garmin and see what happens with my next run :)
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    December goal — 60 KM…I’ll be traveling for 2 weeks this month and unlikely to be able to run

12/1—5.02km
    12/3—5.23 km