Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! :) I checked the website and it has my correct height/weight, but maybe it's not on the watch so I'll check that. I have a fitbit too and I usually use it for my calorie burns from runs anyway (and it says 297 calories for that time frame), I just noticed it because it was so low and knew it was wrong. I know using the calorie burn from the HRM can be off, especially for me. I mostly use the HRM for the GPS/distance and to make sure my HR doesn't get too high and/or stay too high because of my tachycardia.

As a side note if anyone else uses Garmin Connect and wants to be "friends," my username on there is the same as my MFP username :)
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    OK, December 2015 Running Challenge, Let's Do This!
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Dec 01      4.3      4.3

exercise.png
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Shooting for 50 (my work is doing 50 miles a month for winter), but hoping for 80...
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I am going to try for 100
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    I have a fitbit too and I usually use it for my calorie burns from runs anyway (and it says 297 calories for that time frame), I just noticed it because it was so low and knew it was wrong.

I think I know what's going on. When you have so many account and devices linked, they have to work together to make sure you don't get double credit for your efforts. If yu get 297 calories from your fitbit, then your Garmin is probably saying, hey...normally I'd give you 331 calories for your run but since Fitbit is already giving you 297 for the same time frame, then I'm going to deduct that and just give you 34. In the end, you get full credit, but from two different sources.

I have a similar issue but in my case Garmin takes precedence over my Fitbit, when looking at my MFP account. I could have 14,000 steps on Fitbit but a negative calorie credit if nearly all of those steps took place during a run.

It get kind of confusing when there are multiple gadgets and accounts trying to work together. I was getting double credit at one point and had to disconnect MapMyWalk from another account to get it all to work correctly.

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I added up my millage from November and was pleasantly surprised to see that I logged 31 miles so I'm going to change my December goal from 25 to 35!

12/1/15=2.3 miles

Thanks for the tip @rogue024 on Cyber Monday sales I scored some new kicks on sale too! They will be here in time for my next run!!
  • sunshinesmb
    sunshinesmb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will try and achieve 50 miles in Dec.
    50/3.0
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    I have a fitbit too and I usually use it for my calorie burns from runs anyway (and it says 297 calories for that time frame), I just noticed it because it was so low and knew it was wrong.

I think I know what's going on. When you have so many account and devices linked, they have to work together to make sure you don't get double credit for your efforts. If yu get 297 calories from your fitbit, then your Garmin is probably saying, hey...normally I'd give you 331 calories for your run but since Fitbit is already giving you 297 for the same time frame, then I'm going to deduct that and just give you 34. In the end, you get full credit, but from two different sources.

I have a similar issue but in my case Garmin takes precedence over my Fitbit, when looking at my MFP account. I could have 14,000 steps on Fitbit but a negative calorie credit if nearly all of those steps took place during a run.

It get kind of confusing when there are multiple gadgets and accounts trying to work together. I was getting double credit at one point and had to disconnect MapMyWalk from another account to get it all to work correctly.

That makes sense! I should just disconnect Garmin Connect from everything then. My last HRM also would give me a higher calorie burn than Fitbit (I have the Fitbit One so it knows nothing about my heart rate). Calorie burn for running is estimated by weight, gender, and distance right? So my Fitbit would be more accurate. I'm trying to lose weight so it would be safer to go with the lower number.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    @agzram I'm glad you were able to find a good deal! I got my 2 new pairs today from Amazon. Can't wait to try them. The wider shoe width feels so much more comfortable!
  • siddles11
    siddles11 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 80 kms
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Goal – 100km
    01/12 – 5.75 – 5.75
    02/12 – 2.34 – 8.09 – first run in 4 weeks

First run since my ankle injury. Felt on top of the world. Best timing too.. Went into my 2nd biopsy feeling more relaxed. I have had a 2nd stage melanoma removed.. fast growing. Feeling a bit emotional. It has been raining all morning and I have decided to not care so much about all of the little, niggly things in life. I’m a little scared.. If I don’t receive another phone call in the next 24 hours they have got it all. Fingers crossed please x.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    Goal – 100km
    01/12 – 5.75 – 5.75
    02/12 – 2.34 – 8.09 – first run in 4 weeks

First run since my ankle injury. Felt on top of the world. Best timing too.. Went into my 2nd biopsy feeling more relaxed. I have had a 2nd stage melanoma removed.. fast growing. Feeling a bit emotional. It has been raining all morning and I have decided to not care so much about all of the little, niggly things in life. I’m a little scared.. If I don’t receive another phone call in the next 24 hours they have got it all. Fingers crossed please x.

Praying for your health and well-being, and for peace of mind while you wait.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3.9 miles down, 96.1 to go! I feel like I'm getting back in the groove again.

I signed up for another race today the Torchlight 5K in July. I ran this last summer with my daughter and will do so again this coming summer. She and I ran a 6K Turkey Trot while she was here for Thanksgiving and though she had to walk a couple of times, we had a great time (that's where we are in my current profile picture). She also told me she wanted to run with me when she's home for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to that.

Another race I recently signed up for is my first full marathon, the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon. This race is run on a paved trail (former rail line) between four small towns in central Minnesota and usually has less than 400 runners.

This will be held May 14th, nearly one year to the day since I first started running. I was going to wait until I turned 50 but I felt so great training for my half I decided to push it up a year. I had considered doing the Twin Cities Marathon in October but we just bought a sailboat last weekend and I don't want to be putting in those long training miles when we want to be out on the water.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I officially have achellies tendinitis :( I think I just caused it by playing soccer really hard this past Sunday and not taking enough time off to rest. Any words about how serious something like this is? how imperative it is that I not run or run slow or run little? I did access so much information on the web--like what stretching exercises i should do, etc. but what i don't have access to, at least i didn't find any yet, is how runners deal with it. do you rest, how long, and in what ways?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @kareF : prayers for clean margins!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @scrappyfrog and @Pandora_and_her_box - welcome back!
    @karef - love the new kicks! Hoping you hear good news from the doctors!!
    @MorningGhost14 - shoe slut :)

Another late afternoon run today but I couldn't stand another day of running put aside because of work meetings! What's up with that - work getting in the way of running??? I had a nice short run with just enough time to get cleaned up to go to my strength training session where my trainer kicked my butt. I am exhausted now!

Date..........Miles.........Total
    12/01.......4.20..........4.20 - + Strength Training

exercise.png
  • patheticshark
    patheticshark Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, totally new to this thread and running challenges, but not to running - going to aim for 125 miles. Which feels incredibly high but I need something to keep me focused during the season of gluttony!
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Guess I didnt really clarify that I'm new to the group. So hello! I'm Becky.
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Going to start at 35.
    I'm finishing up C25k, on Week 7. But I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving so I hope to keep going and increase my pace before my next 5k.

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    01/12 - 13.2 miles
    02/12 - 13.6 miles

43.6/500km

need IV coffee - not tired for running, but because I am sleepy. it was also incredibly dry this morning.
    leg and foot feeling better, run almost pain free today so prob tomorrow won't even be able to walk.
    if body seems better, my mood is not, especially before the 10k mark, then everything seems better
    a million deers staring at me, they are evil and scary.