Oh my god, that was awful! (low-cal products you tried and hated)

Okay, there's a fair amount of conversation about what low-cal products are good or great, which is awesome, but let's hear which low-cal products you tried that were awful and you hope to never experience again.

For me, it's low-cal ranch dressing. There's something about the consistency and taste that's just...blech. So cringey.

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Any yogurt with artificial sweetener. Don't mind it in other items, but to me it seems like it's always added in 3-4x the amount necessary in yogurt for some reason. *gag*
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Tesco healthy living banoffee desserts... should have known they would be awful at 135 cals each... guess the lesson is if the cals are too low/it looks too good to be true, it usually is!!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Cauliflower pizza crust. I've had this be good, and I've had it be bad--usually it's awful. Cauliflower is not bread. Period.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Skim milk, the low-fat, low-calorie wonder drink of the 80's. It's like drinking adulterated water. I don't drink a lot, but when I do it's whole milk all the way.

Even made a convert out of my girlfriend to whole milk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    for dressings i've found a few lower calorie options that i like...i like the Newman's Own light italian and light balsamic. i think the creamy bolthouse farms stuff is pretty good as well.

really though...i just don't do the "diet food" thing for the most part and don't do the faux/replacement type of stuff like cauliflower pizza crust or cauliflower mashed potatoes, etc. in general i just prefer to eat the real deal in appropriate quantities.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yes! Skim milk... shudder.

Sugar free jello. Not so good.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    light-and-fit-greek-chocolate-strawberry.png

I plead insanity for even trying these. I had gotten the Light & Fit Greeks in the past and didn't remember them being so bad. But I have been eating plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit for too long I guess. So take the sad artificially sweetened yogurt @Stealthq mentioned and then add an even sadder artificially sweetened, runny, chocolate-ish liquid to the top. I thought it was going to be a chocolate shell at least!! I bought two, didn't finish the first & threw the second one away. So gross.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Skim milk. I have no idea how anyone can drink it..
  • spat095
    spat095 Posts: 105 Member
    I second the chocolate on top yogurts, they were truly awful.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    k2-_944a268a-1a91-4979-9ae0-31fac07fa08b.v1.jpg

I cant remember if these are the exact kind, but these have almost completely turned me off hot dogs.
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    Sea-kelp noodles. DON'T DO IT!!!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited December 2015
    k2-_944a268a-1a91-4979-9ae0-31fac07fa08b.v1.jpg
    I cant remember if these are the exact kind, but these have almost completely turned me off hot dogs.
    When pig lips, an_s, hoof, and whatever got shoveled off the floor just isn't enough... :smiley:

I couldn't resist.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    OH I bought turkey hot dogs once. I don't know if they were only 50 calories each but nope, never again. They didn't hit the 'spot'. Which lets be honest, is the only reason you eat a hot dog.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I'm with another poster on any yogurt with fake sweeteners. Disgusting. Artificial sweeteners in general are a no go for me. I'm making one exception to get a lower calorie protein powder, but that's as far as it goes.

Also, I use a salad dressing called Renee's for Caesar salad. The brand has a great one, full fat, for garlic lovers, and it is incredibly good. So, I tried the 1/2 fat one thinking it would be great too. Yikes, not the same AT ALL! No flavour. Runny. Blech. So, to compensate, I use 1/2 low fat, half full fat in my salads.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    My MIL used to buy "Smart Beat" mayonnaise... I don't think I got within 10 feet of it. Give me Hellman's (or homemade) or put me out to pasture.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Pretty much anything by Walden Farms, excluding the pancake syrup.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Fat free cheese - tastes like &^$%, doesn't melt - YUCK!
  • EKoehler1
    EKoehler1 Posts: 6 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »

Ugh, just seeing the name 'Walden Farms' gives me crippling flashbacks of the time I tried their calorie-free alfredo sauce. I'd have been better off hitting up Sherwin Williams for some white interior paint instead.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    EKoehler1 wrote: »
    Raynne413 wrote: »

Ugh, just seeing the name 'Walden Farms' gives me crippling flashbacks of the time I tried their calorie-free alfredo sauce. I'd have been better off hitting up Sherwin Williams for some white interior paint instead.

I just hope you didn't try the "peanut" spread. *shudders*
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    My father brought over crunchy seaweed snacks once for me to try. It was bad. Really, really bad. Not sure about the calorie content on the stuff, but people often seem to classify it as a health food. I didn't even bother logging it since I was so quick to spit the stuff out!
    Also, ThinSlim's Brownie which was either 40 or 45 calories. HORRIBLE. It tasted like a wet slob of chemicals. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore ThinSlim's breads, but they really shouldn't do brownies.
    And now, I saved the worst for last *drum roll*
    Any sort of protein powder made with Spirulina! I've tried Nature's Plus Spiru-tein, and I've tried Garden of Life's Raw Fit Spirulina powder. Both = YUCK. I eat a lot of gross/weird things, but I couldn't finish these. I can finish a bowl of Natto (fermented soybeans), but I couldn't finish this shake. Chalky, earthy, bland, and it turned my milk green. That's not okay.