Weight loss without exercise?

Options

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Without knowing much about this condition, I have to wonder if a good HRM used after consulting the cardiologist might help a person define where the HRM "threshold" is where the heart rate goes up out of control.

Since many exercises can easily elevate your heart rate, finding a reasonable limit HR using walking or any form you can do might give a little more in the way of exercise options. I would personally think that any type of lifting or anything where HR rises at times more after the energy expenditure burst would be more likely to cause problems. I would think steady state cardio with very small increases in energy expenditure would be one of the only options.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Without knowing much about this condition, I have to wonder if a good HRM used after consulting the cardiologist might help a person define where the HRM "threshold" is where the heart rate goes up out of control.

Since many exercises can easily elevate your heart rate, finding a reasonable limit HR using walking or any form you can do might give a little more in the way of exercise options. I would personally think that any type of lifting or anything where HR rises at times more after the energy expenditure burst would be more likely to cause problems. I would think steady state cardio with very small increases in energy expenditure would be one of the only options.

I would think a resting heart rate over 100 is a cause for concern. You can have a dangerous heart rate rhythm over 100, and not dangerous ones over 100 as well. It's about the type of rhythm. With no heart disease or structural defects, SVT is rather harmless compared to ventricular tachycardia.

That said, usually people with heart rhythm problems have event monitors, holter monitors, loop recorders, etc. I suggest the OP get one those from a cardiologist and see what does and doesn't work for her.

I have a loop recorder and it's good for three years. It makes diagnosing rhythms SO much easier because the transmission is automatic and doctors can access the data whenever.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think you may just need to be patient if you have been losing consistently at this calorie intake. The closer you get to your ideal weight the more you typically fluctuate. I have no idea why and it can drive someone crazy but i would typically be the same weight FOREVER then lose like 5 lbs over the course of a few days....Hang in there if its only been a month
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

I would think a resting heart rate over 100 is a cause for concern. You can have a dangerous heart rate rhythm over 100, and not dangerous ones over 100 as well. It's about the type of rhythm. With no heart disease or structural defects, SVT is rather harmless compared to ventricular tachycardia.

That said, usually people with heart rhythm problems have event monitors, holter monitors, loop recorders, etc. I suggest the OP get one those from a cardiologist and see what does and doesn't work for her.

I have a loop recorder and it's good for three years. It makes diagnosing rhythms SO much easier because the transmission is automatic and doctors can access the data whenever.

Thanks for the info. So really it has nothing to do with the overall heart rate, but the rhythm? If that's the case, do your monitors "see it coming" and give adequate warning in most circumstances?
  • deborahk21
    deborahk21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to offer moral support and caution low carb or ketogenic diets for those with heart problems. These diets can increase heart rate and cause palpitations, etc. good luck on you continuing success! You have done very well under challenging circumstances.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lifting doesn't raise the heart rate too much

1) Put your heart rate monitor on.

2) Do 3 sets of 10-rep squats with as much weight as you can reasonably handle with good form.

3) Record your heart rate (after the spots in front of your eyes go away and you quit gasping for breath).

4) Come on back and tell us again that lifting doesn't raise the heart rate too much.

If lifting doesn't raise your heart rate too much, you're doing it wrong.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lifting doesn't raise the heart rate too much

1) Put your heart rate monitor on.

2) Do 3 sets of 10-rep squats with as much weight as you can reasonably handle with good form.

3) Record your heart rate (after the spots in front of your eyes go away and you quit gasping for breath).

4) Come on back and tell us again that lifting doesn't raise the heart rate too much.

If lifting doesn't raise your heart rate too much, you're doing it wrong.

I wasn't even going to comment on this thread, but I HAD to with this comment!! AMEN!! I ended up quitting personal training after an incident with squats that left me with a migraine! My heart rate was ridiculous, as was my blood pressure! Love this!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    OP, what about just increasing walking/steps. Get a Fitbit and keep track of your slow/controlled steps and make your goal higher than the 10,000 most of us do...We can brisk walk or run, you have to just get steps however you can...10 minutes at lunch, 5 minutes on break, 20 minutes after work, 30 minutes at the store, etc.

Why can't you take beta blockers with asthma? I have...
  • Colorscheme
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks for the info. So really it has nothing to do with the overall heart rate, but the rhythm? If that's the case, do your monitors "see it coming" and give adequate warning in most circumstances?

Yes, for the most part. Because you can have a heart rate of 120 and be in a regular sinus rhythm. You can have a heart rate of 110 and be in SVT. You can have a heart rate of 120 and be in ventricular tachycardia, which is more risky than the other two. So it really depends.

What happens with me is if my heart rate is high, I get a call from my doctor's office asking if I am ok. Do I have lightheadedness? Am I dizzy? Even if I feel missed beats of palpitations, I am not symptomatic otherwise but it's nice to know someone out there is watching out for me. And if something is really wrong, they'll call even quicker and tell you to go to the emergency room.

I don't know too much about Holter's, I think those store data and are read after you turn it in. But event montior catch things as they happen and you can manually transmit. My loop recorder automatically transmits every morning at three am.
  • stephOnezy
    stephOnezy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try low-carb [Atkins style] to jump start the weight loss again. Low-carb, while not a long term option, usually can help break a plateau. It's no easy feat, but it does work.
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Although it was designed initially for older people there is a great deal of knowledge and work on cardiac rehab. Talk to your cardiologist and get a referral to someone who is skilled and knowledgeable in the area and work under the direction of the cardiologist.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. So really it has nothing to do with the overall heart rate, but the rhythm?

Yes, but rhythm in this case doesn't mean timing. Basically, it's about where in the heart the electrical signals for the beat are originating, and if they are properly conducted through the heart so that the beat is properly coordinated.

Every heart cell has the ability to initiate a heartbeat, and the fastest source "wins" and drives the heart's pacing. If the heart is healthy, this is a bundle of cells called the SA node on the top of the atria of the heart.

In general, cardiac rhythms that initiate within the ventricles of the heart (the main pumping chambers) are more worrisome than those that initiate above the ventricles.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    laurenummy wrote: »
    steuartcj wrote: »
    How many meals per day do you eat to get your 1200 in ? Try splitting the 1200 into 4-6 meals per day. It can help to keep your metabolism up. Good luck..

3 meals and sometimes 1 snack.
    I don't believe in the whole 4-6 meals for higher metabolism, nor could I find the time to eat that many times everyday.

You've got it sister! I really think you're doing all the right things. Keep your logging tight and double check everything. I can't imagine the frustration of wishing you could do more, but the advice from rabbit is spot on. Be patient, because (with accurate logging) you KNOW you're eating correctly and you're walking lots and those are great things. I think if you get frustrated and try to change a bunch of stuff you're going to set yourself up for disappointment. At least I always have and now Im left to wonder if I had just been patient and stayed the course, would i have already met my goal? Could be! Keep your chin up :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yeah walking is fine, but I literally walk everywhere and I've done that all my life so I think my body is used to it lol.

Your body doesn't get used to it. You are still burning calories by walking, especially as much as you do.

You're doing great!

Just give yourself a few more weeks before thinking you're really in a plateau.

For the past few months I've stalled for a few weeks then whooshed. This happens the closer you get to a healthy weight.

Good luck!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Height : 5'3

I started my weight loss journey in January. Started at 175lbs, got down to 138lbs. Goal is 120lbs.

Due to having a heart problem called SVT (Superventricular Tachycardia) I can't exercise much due to my heart rate going into overdrive with no brakes lol.

This last 20lbs I have left to lose is proving to be very difficult and I know exercise would have been the answer if I didn't have SVT.

My calories are 1200 per day so decreasing them anymore isn't an option.

Any info or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thanks !!

@laurenummy your have been so very successful you may consider giving your body some time to adjust to this very successful weight loss. I can walk but not much else myself.

I think using exercise to loss weight is counter productive for some people because it can put one at a greater risk of regaining weight loss if one backs off of exercise and 100% of people will back off at some point.

By the way I started out so very weak that gaining muscle by just walking was easy to do. Keep in mind it is fine to practice 'maintaining' for six months then see where you are at. Working for the best possible health vs 120 pounds near term may be something to consider.

Again you have done very well so review what you have done and done so well instead of seeing a weight goal as job #1. :)

• Colorscheme
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. So really it has nothing to do with the overall heart rate, but the rhythm?

Yes, but rhythm in this case doesn't mean timing. Basically, it's about where in the heart the electrical signals for the beat are originating, and if they are properly conducted through the heart so that the beat is properly coordinated.

Every heart cell has the ability to initiate a heartbeat, and the fastest source "wins" and drives the heart's pacing. If the heart is healthy, this is a bundle of cells called the SA node on the top of the atria of the heart.

In general, cardiac rhythms that initiate within the ventricles of the heart (the main pumping chambers) are more worrisome than those that initiate above the ventricles.

Yes, ventricular tachycardia is worse than atrial tachycardia/SVT because of the potential to go into ventricular fibrillation, which may lead to cardiac arrest. SVT's are pretty harmless in the absence of heart disease or structural defects.
  • laurenummy
    laurenummy Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Guys thanks for all your replies, you have all been very helpful! :)
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Hello!

I started my weight loss journey in January. Started at 175lbs, got down to 138lbs. Goal is 120lbs.

Due to having a heart problem called SVT (Superventricular Tachycardia) I can't exercise much due to my heart rate going into overdrive with no brakes lol.

This last 20lbs I have left to lose is proving to be very difficult and I know exercise would have been the answer if I didn't have SVT.

Thanks !!

I have SVT too. I just had an ablation for AVNRT. Do you take beta blockers? that should help your hr. I have been able to exercise even with the SVT because I take meds, but now I can't because of the ablation, as it takes three months to heal from it.

Hey! Yeah SVT sucks. Really just depends on how sensitive the electrically impulses in your heart are to certain triggers :/
    I also had an ablation - it was unsuccessful. I also am not on Beta Blockers due to having asthma and Im not on calcium blockers due to making the condition worse.
  • laurenummy
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    OP, what about just increasing walking/steps. Get a Fitbit and keep track of your slow/controlled steps and make your goal higher than the 10,000 most of us do...We can brisk walk or run, you have to just get steps however you can...10 minutes at lunch, 5 minutes on break, 20 minutes after work, 30 minutes at the store, etc.

Why can't you take beta blockers with asthma? I have...

Yeah I could do that. But before I was diagnosed I was REALLY fit and was quite toned. Easy cardio and lowering calories will eventually just give me the "skinny - fat" look. Which isnt a bad thing but it definitely a downside for me as I loved to workout so much before.

Doctors here do not prescribe Beta Blockers if you have asthma. Think it increases your chances of getting a lung specific illness.
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Hello!

Thanks !!

@laurenummy your have been so very successful you may consider giving your body some time to adjust to this very successful weight loss. I can walk but not much else myself.

I think using exercise to loss weight is counter productive for some people because it can put one at a greater risk of regaining weight loss if one backs off of exercise and 100% of people will back off at some point.

By the way I started out so very weak that gaining muscle by just walking was easy to do. Keep in mind it is fine to practice 'maintaining' for six months then see where you are at. Working for the best possible health vs 120 pounds near term may be something to consider.

Again you have done very well so review what you have done and done so well instead of seeing a weight goal as job #1. :)

Thanks so much :) Cant deny it is challenging but im still hopeful i'll get there.
    Hope things improve with you too. :)