I Think I Might Need Help (Vent)

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    One method I found that works is the "eat in bed after dinner" method.

After eating all your main meals for the day, whatever calories are left between your total and goal = treat time!

I found it stops the temptation to snack during the day, so I have 100% of my calories free to "spend" on my main (filling) meals. Once I've eaten my (decent) dinner, the calories left are spent on whatever I want.

It's much easier to say "no" to high-calorie/low-satisfaction foods when you know you'll be able to have some guilt-free later.

This is what I do. Eating cookies earlier in the day triggers me to
    9d72f02ccb1a9759ddbbec14331be4ae185017a793ff4478b5dded47a13b780f.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    dkingdom1 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Is your daily calorie need so low that 400 calories would really be impossible to fit in to your day? I often have 200-800 calories in snacky foods on a given day while still meeting my calorie goals - as an active and obese male my calorie limit is likely a lot higher than yours, but not every calorie needs to be filling. Are you trying to lose too aggressively for your body size? Can you increase your physical activity to increase your daily calorie needs?

Do you have any snacks that you like that are at least somewhat filling that you can substitute?

It's not that my calorie needs are low. I'm 19, female, 5"4. My weight fluctuates in the 160s and I want to be around 140. If I set it to lose 1 pound/week, the goal is 1600. If I set it to lose 0.5 lb/wk, the goal is 1860. I DID make cookies fit into may day before but it's one of those situations where it works the first few days and then I blow it. Or if I'm at an event at school/work, 2 cookies will keep me ravenous because I feel like I have to eat ALL of them.

And I do excercise, typically Mon.-Fri. Doing cardio 5x/week, and lifting 2-3x/wk., so I feel like that's already enough. It's certainly prevented me from *gaining* weight, but hasn't helped to lose.

As for snacks I like, I don't know. Many times, I *think* I'll want vegetables or I think I want a salad because my body needs the nutrients but then I feel like I'm not enjoying it enough or that something is missing. Nuts and dried fruits are okay but one serving is pretty small (IF I was only having that serving). I prefer the "full" feeling after a meal, so snacks aren't my preference because then I'll just want to eat and I'll feel just as hungry with or without the snack. Any advice on dealing with this problem?

I like having apples with nuts because of apples' low calories to volume. Apples alone aren't a great snack for me, and neither are nuts alone, but they work well together. I often add 1/2 - 1 ounce of cheese as well, depending on for how long I want the snack to tide me over.

Also, I get some sugar from apples, but for far less calories than cookies.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    A few options:

1. Journal. Explore your feelings, what is going on when you're having these cravings, binges, whatever applies. Lonely, sad, bored... then address the underlying issue.

2. Get out and do something. Go for a workout. Call a friend. Knit.

3. Stock your house with some healthier treats that you can eat in moderation. Maybe some lower calorie frozen yogurt. Maybe berries with a bit of milk and sugar. Maybe a single square of high quality dark chocolate. Again, figure out what works, possibly with the help of a journal.
    You have to learn to love yourself. There is only you saying you aren't good enough.

We all know the images in most media are generally touched up, and/or are of women who work way harder to achieve the image they are portraying than most of us want to. It is not our livelihood; we just want to be healthy.

Set your goal to a half pound loss. That should give you more to eat.
    Factor into your daily snacks something sweet.
    If you want a cookie, but don't have enough calories left, share it.
    Make some bite size cookies for yourself.

Accept that it is a slow process, your human, and some days, or weeks, you will be over your calories.
    Keep moving forward, it doesn't matter how slow, you will get there. Love yourself and make it happen for you.

Cheers, h.
    Orphia wrote: »
    Challenge your thoughts.

Don't believe everything you think.

Solid advice here.

Also, it's beneficial to understand that the only power food has over you is the power you give it.

You control your intake, food does control you.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Is your daily calorie need so low that 400 calories would really be impossible to fit in to your day? I often have 200-800 calories in snacky foods on a given day while still meeting my calorie goals - as an active and obese male my calorie limit is likely a lot higher than yours, but not every calorie needs to be filling. Are you trying to lose too aggressively for your body size? Can you increase your physical activity to increase your daily calorie needs?

Do you have any snacks that you like that are at least somewhat filling that you can substitute?

It's not that my calorie needs are low. I'm 19, female, 5"4. My weight fluctuates in the 160s and I want to be around 140. If I set it to lose 1 pound/week, the goal is 1600. If I set it to lose 0.5 lb/wk, the goal is 1860. I DID make cookies fit into may day before but it's one of those situations where it works the first few days and then I blow it. Or if I'm at an event at school/work, 2 cookies will keep me ravenous because I feel like I have to eat ALL of them.

And I do excercise, typically Mon.-Fri. Doing cardio 5x/week, and lifting 2-3x/wk., so I feel like that's already enough. It's certainly prevented me from *gaining* weight, but hasn't helped to lose.

As for snacks I like, I don't know. Many times, I *think* I'll want vegetables or I think I want a salad because my body needs the nutrients but then I feel like I'm not enjoying it enough or that something is missing. Nuts and dried fruits are okay but one serving is pretty small (IF I was only having that serving). I prefer the "full" feeling after a meal, so snacks aren't my preference because then I'll just want to eat and I'll feel just as hungry with or without the snack. Any advice on dealing with this problem?

I like having apples with nuts because of apples' low calories to volume. Apples alone aren't a great snack for me, and neither are nuts alone, but they work well together. I often add 1/2 - 1 ounce of cheese as well, depending on for how long I want the snack to tide me over.

I agree your snack sounds tasty, but apples are not low in calories. My 236 gram apple last week was 123 calories. Even with a small apple, average would be about 75 calories. Add in the nuts and the cheese and your calorie content is more than a cookie or two, unless you buy those monster cookies that are anywhere from 350-800 calories for a package (and some of those packages say there are 2-4 servings).

Moderation is key.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Find things that have volume, but are lower in calories so you an get the physically full feeling. Things I used to eat when I could eat carbs: An entire bag of frozen veggies (10-12 oz, generally), an entire bag of low-fat microwave popcorn (Orville Redenbacher's low calorie Kettle corn was a favorite), soda crackers - they're 10 calories apiece, rice cakes - a half bag at a time.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, you can find alternative treats, but until you're mentally ready for the change, they're probably not going to work for you. If there's a way for you to talk with a therapist about how you view food and treats, I would really recommended that--it's not physical, it's mental/emotional.

Journaling is a great idea! When you want a cookie/treat, why will only that satisfy you? Is there something comforting about it? Why? Special memories from growing up? Food as a reward? Once you identify why it HAS to be a treat, you can find alternative non-food ways to meet your needs and you can just stop at a cookie or two and be done.

Don't give up! "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." :grin:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

I make some form of snack fit in pretty much every day. In that scenario above, I would have planned my meal out the day before so I knew how many cookies I could have, and I would have only packed the amount of food I intended to eat at work - so if I budgeted two cookies, I would only bring two cookies. In that sense, I would eat "all" of the cookies, but I'd be forced to stop at two because there wouldn't be any more.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I agree your snack sounds tasty, but apples are not low in calories. My 236 gram apple last week was 123 calories. Even with a small apple, average would be about 75 calories. Add in the nuts and the cheese and your calorie content is more than a cookie or two, unless you buy those monster cookies that are anywhere from 350-800 calories for a package (and some of those packages say there are 2-4 servings).

Moderation is key.

Agreed. But the combination of cheese and nuts keeps me satisfied much longer, with or without th apple. However, if I really want cookies, cheese and nuts aren't going to work. So it would be better for me to eat the cookies at that point.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT the only person with this same issue. There are a number of good ideas among those who've posted, so I hope you find some that will help you. For me, the first strategy I use is to control my environment. I don't normally have any sweets in the house. That helps with at least 70% of the problem. I always keep a bowl of apples around, so that I know I have a healthy snack available, but no hard-core sweets.

Secondly, I know my food triggers. Sweets are definitely one. Bread is another one, so I don't normally have it around. It is just too easy to eat slice after slice, to a ridiculous extent -- and I do not find it filling, only addicting. I've found that I do very well without it. Plus it has an enormous amount of sodium in it, which you, at 19, probably don't care about, but one day you might, right?

Many people apparently can eat one cookie. I am not one of them, and I have learned to accept this fact about myself. My weight (and, more importantly, my health) is more important to me than eating a sleeve of Oreos. If they are in my cupboard, however, they call out to me.

I've done some reading about binge-eating and found a nugget of information that I think is quite powerful: When we give in to binge-eating (that sleeve of Oreos, right?), we are reinforcing a habit -- thus making it stronger. Over time, it becomes easier and easier to succumb, as the habit gets stronger. I try to keep this in my head in order to resist the overeating behavior...

Good luck!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You are definitely NOT the only person with this same issue. There are a number of good ideas among those who've posted, so I hope you find some that will help you. For me, the first strategy I use is to control my environment. I don't normally have any sweets in the house. That helps with at least 70% of the problem. I always keep a bowl of apples around, so that I know I have a healthy snack available, but no hard-core sweets.

Secondly, I know my food triggers. Sweets are definitely one. Bread is another one, so I don't normally have it around. It is just too easy to eat slice after slice, to a ridiculous extent -- and I do not find it filling, only addicting. I've found that I do very well without it. Plus it has an enormous amount of sodium in it, which you, at 19, probably don't care about, but one day you might, right?

Many people apparently can eat one cookie. I am not one of them, and I have learned to accept this fact about myself. My weight (and, more importantly, my health) is more important to me than eating a sleeve of Oreos. If they are in my cupboard, however, they call out to me.

I've done some reading about binge-eating and found a nugget of information that I think is quite powerful: When we give in to binge-eating (that sleeve of Oreos, right?), we are reinforcing a habit -- thus making it stronger. Over time, it becomes easier and easier to succumb, as the habit gets stronger. I try to keep this in my head in order to resist the overeating behavior...

Good luck!

It seems to me that by depriving yourself completely of things you love, you're reinforcing that habit too, by perpetuating the belief that you can't eat in moderation. Possibly even making the habit much worse.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The key for me, was finding a few solid meal and snack ideas that not only fit my calories, but also fit my volume needs. I'm a volume eater. I eat.....A LOT. But I've found several low cal, but high volume, meals and snacks that I really enjoy.

For eample, broth based soups. Buffalo cauliflower, corn thins topped with chopped boiled eggs, lettuce wraps, etc....

Also, if I'm feeling the sweets, I eat something spicy. In my mind, spicy and sweet don't mesh well.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    One method I found that works is the "eat in bed after dinner" method.

After eating all your main meals for the day, whatever calories are left between your total and goal = treat time!

I found it stops the temptation to snack during the day, so I have 100% of my calories free to "spend" on my main (filling) meals. Once I've eaten my (decent) dinner, the calories left are spent on whatever I want.

It's much easier to say "no" to high-calorie/low-satisfaction foods when you know you'll be able to have some guilt-free later.

Me too - Plus, I have to be careful to have something pretty close to when I go to sleep because if I start feeling like I need to nibble on something before I fall asleep then it's all over. I'm either up all night, or I grab something that probably takes me over my limit so I can get my Z's.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Find things that have volume, but are lower in calories so you an get the physically full feeling. Things I used to eat when I could eat carbs: An entire bag of frozen veggies (10-12 oz, generally), an entire bag of low-fat microwave popcorn (Orville Redenbacher's low calorie Kettle corn was a favorite), soda crackers - they're 10 calories apiece, rice cakes - a half bag at a time.

Some people have success with a hot drink or hot soup to suppress hunger pangs. It does not help if you need something to chew in order to feel like you've eaten something, obviously.